Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Sunday April 27th) Last 16 !

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:BBC Head to Heads dont take Championship league Matches in to consideration But they are Banging on about 100 centuries lol

Absolutely. Centuries in a season is just a performance stat and not even a particularly meaningful one, the way the media bang on about it you'd imagine it's more important than winning snooker tournaments.

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote: :spot on: That's why I like Davis, he calls big shots before I've thought of them or the players have got down. Folk like Taylor and Griff couldn't play half the shots of today, so it's no surprise they get so much wrong, commenting on a game they've hardly played.

Davis is one of the Worst comentators

a) he cant call a shot for toffee and leading the way in "Oh, that red doesn't pot"-It DOES! "No, not in"- it IS in! brigade
b) he never shuts up
c) he talkes about the 85 WC and pretends he doesn't want it mentioned
d) he laugh's when there's nothing remotely funny

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:Allen is dangerous but he was 7-6 up and Robbo leads 9-7 overnight. Robbo now strong favourite to face Selby in the semi-final.

Yes, that's why I wrote my post from Neil's perspective.

9-7 is a dangerous lead IF the player who leads thinks the hard work is already done. Don't think Robbo will make that mistake though.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Selby fans must be delighted that in case Robbo wins this match, he'll have another epic battle ahead of him against Trump, while Selby will more or less ease through against McManus.

Mark shoulder be fresher in a potential semi final.

I'm worried about McManus for the time being. Mark should beat Alan, but he should've beat King in 2008, Hawkins in 2013. And he's not a great front runner and isn't at handling being favourite. Get over that hurdle before thinking of Judd or Robbo/Allen.

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:
Wildey wrote:BBC Head to Heads dont take Championship league Matches in to consideration But they are Banging on about 100 centuries lol

Absolutely. Centuries in a season is just a performance stat and not even a particularly meaningful one, the way the media bang on about it you'd imagine it's more important than winning snooker tournaments.

I agree, Ok its still a pretty good achievment reaching the 100 mark, but more important century stats include for instance centuries per frame played, how many tons in Major tournaments, etc... And given the amount of tournaments nowadays and unlike some people think I don't think this record will stand for too long.... someone will eventually come along and break that, records are meant to be broken after all.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:
I agree, Ok its still a pretty good achievment reaching the 100 mark, but more important century stats include for instance centuries per frame played, how many tons in Major tournaments, etc... And given the maount of tournaments nowadays and unlike some people think I don't think this record will stand for too long.... someone will eventually come along and break that, records are meant to be broken after all.

Who though? Ding's had the season of his life and has only made 62, Ronnie won't enter nearly enough to get close.

Edit: Also part of it is being the first one to do it. Look at maximums. There are over 100 of them now, but Steve Davis will always be remembered as the first one to it professionally, just as Robbo would be first one to do it this case.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
I agree, Ok its still a pretty good achievment reaching the 100 mark, but more important century stats include for instance centuries per frame played, how many tons in Major tournaments, etc... And given the maount of tournaments nowadays and unlike some people think I don't think this record will stand for too long.... someone will eventually come along and break that, records are meant to be broken after all.

Who though? Ding's had the season of his life and has only made 62, Ronnie won't enter nearly enough to get close.

Good question.. <laugh> it might take some years, but it won't stand for that long as people think I reckon.. especially if that CL thing is still around pmsl

Postby Roland

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Edit: Also part of it is being the first one to do it. Look at maximums. There are over 100 of them now, but Steve Davis will always be remembered as the first one to it professionally, just as Robbo would be first one to do it this case.

Exactly. People are saying one day it'll be beaten. It doesn't matter, Robbo will always be the first to do it. He won't care if someone beats it because if they do then they will have had to go for it from mid-way through the season and are they going to risk losing frames in order to achieve it when it's already been done? Just because they might get one more? It won't matter. From this angle, I think it won't be done again for 10 or 20 or maybe more years. Maybe it'll never be done again. Robbo has had to go for it, and he's had to do things like win PTC matches 4-0 with 4 centuries, and get two in matches either side or whatever ridiculous things he was doing in that PTC last year.

Postby Andy Spark

AC or LT? wrote:I reckon Dave Harold or Rory McLeod could break it next season.

<ok> Rory made back to back centuries against Ronnie a few years back. He's well up for a crack at it.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Exactly. People are saying one day it'll be beaten. It doesn't matter, Robbo will always be the first to do it. He won't care if someone beats it because if they do then they will have had to go for it from mid-way through the season and are they going to risk losing frames in order to achieve it when it's already been done? Just because they might get one more? It won't matter. From this angle, I think it won't be done again for 10 or 20 or maybe more years. Maybe it'll never be done again. Robbo has had to go for it, and he's had to do things like win PTC matches 4-0 with 4 centuries, and get two in matches either side or whatever ridiculous things he was doing in that PTC last year.

Yeah I agree Sonny.

And you know what, it may actually be a similar record to Ronnie's fastest maximum break in 5 min 20 sec, people keep saying (Dennis :zzz: ) it will probably never be beaten, it's not impossible, there isn't such a thing, but yeah those 100 tons he'll get will prove to be very hard to beat, plus you're right, when it's already been done, the next player closest to that certainly won't take any unenecessary risks just to break that.

Postby Roland

If I had a quid for every time Dennis bloody Taylor says "Ronnie had a 147 in 5 minutes and 20 seconds which I don't think will ever be beaten" I'd be a millionaire.

There was a guy on youtube who made a 147 in 4 minutes odd and he was fielding the balls himself. It's pretty crazy if you haven't seen it.

Postby edwards2000

Youtube hardly counts. A 5 min 20 in competitive play, at the greatest tournament, is where it matters. Under professional rules. It is doubtful that Ronnie's professional 147 at 5 min 20 will ever be beaten.

As for Selby, he will fall short again when he comes up against Robbo, Allen or Trump. He doesn't have the stamina to last the course and win this title. He doesn't have the ability to do it. He plays way too conservatively at key times, and wears himself to the bone.

As for the 100 record of Robbo... it's impressive, but it's nowhere near as impressive as 16 centuries at the crucible, or most centuries at the crucible overall. Garnering tens of centuries at throw away tournaments is not a true benchmark. Hendry's and Ronnie's achievements at the crucible are, including three 147s apiece.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:If I had a quid for every time Dennis bloody Taylor says "Ronnie had a 147 in 5 minutes and 20 seconds which I don't think will ever be beaten" I'd be a millionaire.

There was a guy on youtube who made a 147 in 4 minutes odd and he was fielding the balls himself. It's pretty crazy if you haven't seen it.

I have seen it, Drago too in practice has made a maxi in under 5 minutes, but as edwards said that counts for nothing. Willie also made countless maxis in practice :wave:

What matters is professional competition, under the pressure, and Ronnie did that at the Crucible no less, so no that record will never be beaten, like Dennis always says. :clap:

Postby Roland

Where did I try to discredit Ronnie's 147? I didn't, but it is possible to beat it. I don't see any Drago speed players on the horizon though. In fact Mark Allen is probably the fastest player out there at the moment when he gets going along with Un-Nooh.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Where did I try to discredit Ronnie's 147? I didn't, but it is possible to beat it. I don't see any Drago speed players on the horizon though. In fact Mark Allen is probably the fastest player out there at the moment when he gets going along with Un-Nooh.

I know you didnt try to discredit him, I just thought you hadnt understood that comparison between that and Neil's tons tally this season.

You never know, Dennis now may actually be seen(heard) saying:

- 5 min 20 sec never be beaten ;
- Neil's tons tally never be beaten

<laugh>

Postby Roland

I know what you mean and it's a brilliant break, but what's it the first of? The first 147 under 5 minutes 30? It can be beaten but the 100 centuries in a season can only be done for the first time once.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

It may be beaten in professional play one day but certainly not at the Crucible. Not because it's impossible to play faster but because there is no reason to rush especially on the big stage. I can't explain really why Ronnie played so quickly, I mean with so much money riding on it back then it was unbelievable he didn't take a couple of extra moments just to calm down and to make sure.

Postby Roland

That's how he played back then. If it's to be beaten at the Crucible it'll be by a teenager who's yet to slow down. Luca is capable of beating it if you think of the scenario of being several frames in front and knowing you've won the match. He can get a fair lick on, potting balls at the end of the frame almost before the white's stopped rolling.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:I know what you mean and it's a brilliant break, but what's it the first of? The first 147 under 5 minutes 30? It can be beaten but the 100 centuries in a season can only be done for the first time once.

Yes you make a good point there <ok>

Postby Roland

I guess at the moment it's the fastest televised 147 even though others including Ronnie will have made faster ones. If someone beats it on a non-televised table there won't be anyone timing it from the first ball anyway so how would we know it's been beaten?

Postby edwards2000

Playing at that speed is more difficult. It takes a player of amazing talent to have the ability to not only execute those shots consistently, but also THINK ahead that fast. The only player I think today that has any chance of matching that feat is Ding. If he put his mind to it, he'd come close.

The above is the same in chess. Even the greatest player Kasparov made a massive error in speed chess. An error that not even I would make once in my life in normal chess. Time pressure is totally misunderstood by most people. It's a completely different ball game when you are trying to do something to a high standard faster.

It isn't a coincidence that the most naturally talented player excels in the shot clock tournaments (only been one sadly). On one side you have the tactical, but on the other you have the natural talent and ability.
Last edited by edwards2000 on 28 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.