Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Sunday April 27th) Last 16 !

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 PGC wrote:This is supposed to be a discussion about today's matchesn not some of Ronnie's antics... Okay the discussion can deviate a bit, but it's all getting a bit silly now you all naming those things that Ronnie did in the past...

We all know the bad things he's done so there's no point arguing about that now.

He's still in the tournament and had a cracking match against Perry, and that's what matters <ok>

Sorry, man. I got off topic. :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:Robertson should get those two centuries tonight. How awesome would it be if he did it with a maximum?

Also, ROS isn't playing today so why the buck are you talking about him?

Agree.

And regarding Robbo, well that would be just wonderful if he did it with a maxi, but thats asking abit too much isnt it...

He may get the 2 he requires tonight, but my bold prediction is:

He'll get 1 this evening

In The 3rd session he'll get 1 or 2 more and that will prove enough for him to achieve the 100 number.

Postby Cannonball

There was tonnes of match fixing in the 80s and 90s, no-one, not even Saint Steve said a word. Ronnie called it the way it is and had nothing to gain from stating the truth. In fact, he got rapped. That makes him even more of a hero. People should be thanking him for his honesty, a trait not apparent in every snooker player, as we know...

Postby edwards2000

Oh dear, the ignorant hater again. Allow me to interject and put him straight. I am getting so tired of this kind of "fan".

He walked out of a match with Hendry because he wasn't winning.
That wasn't the reason he walked out. You are twisting that to paint a picture YOU WANT TO PAINT. He was already not in the right frame of mind before the match. John Parrott comments after the match (go look at Youtube) that he saw Ronnie earlier and knew his mind was not there. He suffers with bipolar disorder. Ronnie stated he should not have even entered that match, and wouldn't put himself through that again. He apologized for it, and he wished Hendry good luck personally, by coming to his room. Why don't you mention any of that? I know why, because your hatred has blinded you. And it always does, like so many of the morons around here. So why did he walk out? A. He was already screwed in the head from bipolar before he entered the match. B. He was playing shocking, and it was irritating him. It had nothing to do with "losing" and everything to do with a mental disorder. One you know sod all about. Ronnie has suffered many hard defeats in the past, and stayed there until the end. He has never cheated the rules (Selby) or done far worse (the un-namable on here). Why don't we ever see you lambasting those players? AGENDA.

He asked a female journalist to suck his sausage in a press conference.
This one is a fair criticism, and he was out of order. I don't think it was as bad as what you do, though.

He referred to the World Championship as dull and said snooker should be more like Power Snooker.
And this makes him an unlikeable character? Expressing an opinion that I am sure tons of people do? So now a personal opinion on snooker makes you a horrible person? On what planet are you living?

He routinely feigns injury or illness so he doesn't have to enter foreign tournaments, often pulling out of them last minutes.
Most of his illness concerns are not feigned. Bipolar is very real, and so is an intense fear of flying. If he wasn't being forced into entering the tournaments, he wouldn't have done it. Fortunately, he no longer has to pretend. And he shouldn't have bucking had to in the first place.

He routinely gets in a bad mood during tournaments and claims to retire.
Bipolar.

He's been known to sit with a towel on his head during matches.
Bipolar

He refused to pot the final black in a 147, due to some inane point that he wanted more prize money.
Wtf! What the buck does this have to do with him being "unlikeable". You think not potting a black ball when the frame is over, is a crime? What is wrong with you? Also, you have again twisted things. Ronnie was making a protest for ALL players. He was not whinging for his own sake. He made that clear. You have again painted what YOU WANT TO PAINT.

The only time I remembered Ronnie doing something likeable was when he looked after Ding in the Masters final.

That's because you are wearing blinkers. Ronnie is one of the best things that have happened to this sport. He has done far more for it than nearly all others. Single handedly carried this game for years, because the wider public cannot get into such an elitist game that refuses to move with the times and has fans like you, that haven't got a dickey bird what they are on about.
Last edited by edwards2000 on 27 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AC or LT?

So to this afternoons matches;

Trump v Day

We all know that Day is a good player but I don't think he really has the game to rival an on-form Trump. Day's main focus should be getting into session three at 10-6 or 9-7, the best way to do this is to come out and grind Trump down, if you can't beat him at potting balls then infuriate him with good old fashioned tactical negativity.

Wasley v Dale

Dom will be looking to send Wasley home to SWSA a session early. It's imperative that was wins the first mini-session at least 3-1 and share's the second at least 2-2 at a minimum (10-6), we know he's got the game to rival Dominic he just needs to pull some confidence out and work on small objectives, forget the score line and he'll be okay in his final session tomorrow.

Postby Jester82

Cannonball wrote:There was tonnes of match fixing in the 80s and 90s, no-one, not even Saint Steve said a word. Ronnie called it the way it is and had nothing to gain from stating the truth. In fact, he got rapped. That makes him even more of a hero. People should be thanking him for his honesty, a trait not apparent in every snooker player, as we know...

Without evidence...are you familiar with the legal term 'defamatory statement'?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:Anyway, both matches nicely poised.

Robbo will get 2 more tons in this match, question is when.. My guess is he'll reach 100 in the 3rd session

Two very good sessions this morning.

Allen is playing really, maybe even should have led 5-3. I can't see Robbo winning this match easily.

Someone said earlier that Allen doesn't have a good temperament but I disagree. He's quite good at blocking out bad shots and just gets on with it. He hasn't had the best season but his main problem wasn't that he couldn't compete with the top players but that he lost to players you would expect him to beat.

Postby GJ

Had to laugh when Allen was trying to talk to robbo and robbos reaction as if to say im Not interested :lol:
Last edited by GJ on 27 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby edwards2000

AC or LT? wrote:Edwards, when did Selby parakeet?

That's a pretty bold accusation to make.

It's not a bold accusation. It's a fact. He's broken the time rules plenty of times, and there IS a time rule. He has continually broken the rules to gain an unfair advantage. That's before you go into the rest of his deliberate gamesmanship.

Breaking the rules = Cheating.

Postby edwards2000

Jester82 wrote:
Cannonball wrote:There was tonnes of match fixing in the 80s and 90s, no-one, not even Saint Steve said a word. Ronnie called it the way it is and had nothing to gain from stating the truth. In fact, he got rapped. That makes him even more of a hero. People should be thanking him for his honesty, a trait not apparent in every snooker player, as we know...

That only counts when he names the person without evidence. You clearly know nothing about the legal system, so don't bring it up until you do.

It's so hard not to post here because there are so many of you that need to be corrected. It's staggering how thick some of you are.
Last edited by edwards2000 on 27 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cannonball

edwards2000 wrote:
Jester82 wrote:

That only counts when he names the person without evidence. You clearly know nothing about the legal system, so don't bring it up until you do.

It's so hard not to post here because there are so many of you that need to be corrected. It's staggering how thick some of you are.

Finally, Edwards is here. :joust: Someone with some sense and lack of naivety. Phew.

Postby AC or LT?

edwards2000 wrote:

It's not a bold accusation. It's a fact. He's broken the time rules plenty of times, and there IS a time rule. He has continually broken the rules to gain an unfair advantage. That's before you go into the rest of his deliberate gamesmanship.

There is no time limit in snooker, if a player takes exceptionally long then the ref can step in and tell them to get a move on but Selby has never actually broken the rule. And playing more safety or coming back when you need a fair few snookers is called being tactically astute not gamesmanship, if a player doesn't want their rythm broken against Selby then they know they need to pot every ball on the table, that's perfectly legitimate.

You've raised no actual case of cheating, just criticism of legitimate gamesmanship and sensible practices. If Selby's a parakeet by these standards there's a lot of other players who are "cheats". You're just a moron who thinks any form of snooker that isn't potting in ton after ton is cheating.

Postby Jester82

Cannonball wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:
Jester82 wrote:

Finally, Edwards is here. :joust: Someone with some sense and lack of naivety. Phew.

Naive is it to think that Ronnie is an example of a sportsman.

Postby SnookerFan

Oh dear, I seem to have accidentally started a forum war. <laugh>

I did also say that others are allowed to have a differing opinion to my own. Just responding to people that said disliking one player is 'pathetic', and explaining my side of story.

I didn't mean to call you out of your Snooker Island retirement Edwards. It wasn't a blast at you or his fans.

Can we move on?

Postby Cannonball

AC or LT? wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:

There is no time limit in snooker, if a player takes exceptionally long then the ref can step in and tell them to get a move on but Selby has never actually broken the rule. And playing more safety or coming back when you need a fair few snookers is called being tactically astute not gamesmanship, if a player doesn't want their rythm broken against Selby then they know they need to pot every ball on the table, that's perfectly legitimate.

You've raised no actual case of cheating, just criticism of legitimate gamesmanship and sensible practices. If Selby's a parakeet by these standards there's a lot of other players who are "cheats". You're just a moron who thinks any form of snooker that isn't potting in ton after ton is cheating.

Gamemanship is cheating in snooker, it's meant to be played by gents. The problem is the refs are too cowardly to step in and call foul. I know a former international ref who thinks modern refs are spineless. He's right.

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:Oh dear, I seem to have accidentally started a forum war. <laugh>

I did also say that others are allowed to have a differing opinion to my own. Just responding to people that said disliking one player is 'pathetic', and explaining my side of story.

I didn't mean to call you out of your Snooker Island retirement Edwards. It wasn't a blast at you or his fans.

Can we move on?

I'm not Edwards, but he gets my vote. I think you're a nice guy too. I have no problem with what you've written because discussion is good.

Postby AC or LT?

Cannonball wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:

Gamemanship is cheating in snooker, it's meant to be played by gents. The problem is the refs are too cowardly to step in and call foul. I know a former international ref who thinks modern refs are spineless. He's right.

No, it's not cheating. There is nothing in the rule books to prevent you taking four minutes over a shot if it's a safety shot with multiple options or pot with multiple options, a player should have the right to deliberate on shot choices without being labelled a parakeet. Even your beloved ROS would be a parakeet under your maddeningly strict rules.