Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Monday April 28th) Last 16 !

Postby Souvent

Andre147 PGC wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Some crackers coming up

robbo trumpp
fu osullivan
selby robertson or trump
osullivan hawkins
dale hawkins
osullivan robertson

How can you be so certain that will happen? You forget Fu is 9-7 behind against Murphy and he doesn't have a good record against him.

Fu won't win that match, so its's Murphy v Ronnie instead.

Regardless of who goes through, I think both of them represent a nearly identical threat for Ronnie. Which is close to no threat at all if he's playing his best snooker.

Postby Andre147

randam05 WC wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Dominic Dale won't lose if he plays like he did against John Higgins in the 1997 Grand Prix final.

John Higgins quote after the first session of that final "Dominic's playing very well isn't he?"

How do you know he said that after 1st session? Interviews only come when the macch, this case Final finishes :chin:

John Virgo said it in commentary during the second session. <cool>

Does anyone know where I can possibly watch that final?

Im yet to see any of it! :-(

Don't think anyone has it, but I'm always looking for Classic matches and always paying attention for new updates so if I see someone who has it I'll let you know. <ok>

Postby mantorok

Blavdes wrote:Ronnie hopefully will see Robbo's performance and know he will have to be on top of his game to win this championship.

Ronnie won't be under any illusions about any of the players, particularly Robertson, and he certainly won't be concerning himself about a match that might not happen.

We all know how good players can be, but that's the beauty of the WC, you have so many sessions that you simply cannot sustain that level throughout, and it's how you deal with the bad sessions where true champions are born.

I really do hope it's a world final with the two R's, because it will undoubtedbly be one of the best ever, and I don't think either player would begrudge the other for winning it if they perform like they can.

Postby randam05

Andre147 PGC wrote:
randam05 WC wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Dominic Dale won't lose if he plays like he did against John Higgins in the 1997 Grand Prix final.

John Higgins quote after the first session of that final "Dominic's playing very well isn't he?"

How do you know he said that after 1st session? Interviews only come when the macch, this case Final finishes :chin:

John Virgo said it in commentary during the second session. <cool>

Does anyone know where I can possibly watch that final?

Im yet to see any of it! :-(

Don't think anyone has it, but I'm always looking for Classic matches and always paying attention for new updates so if I see someone who has it I'll let you know. <ok>

Cheers andre, would be great if youd send me a message if you do ever come across it! :spot on:

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:In his post match interview Allen said robbo was slowing him down by taking too long to pour his water and drying his hand to slowly

<laugh> :win:

Mentally weak.

Here we go, Allen moaning about conditions again. Geez. He reckons he's good enough to beat anyone. What an ego. Carry on Mark, keep deluding yourself with excuses. Robbo's performance was good, against someone a shadow of himself. But Allen wasn't as good as Perry, so comparing is tricky.

I also think that this drooling over four frames from Robbo is a bit OTT. If Ronnie fans had done it, there'd be complaining. To extrapolate a tourament win from 1 performance would be a bit naive. If Robbo had played like this at the China Open maybe he would have won it? We'll never know. Ifs.

Right from the Quallys to now, I've had this feeling that there will be a lot of surprises, and we've seen plenty, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more. A lot of folk said Wasley would destroy Dale; that's a lot of egg on a lot of faces! rofl

Let's see what happens. If we knew or could even guess 51% right, the bookies would be bankrupt. They're not.

Postby Blavdes

Have to say that when I started following Dominic on twitter some months ago I wasn't expecting much, thought he was a long way past his sell by date, since then though he's won the Shootout and now into the Quarter of the Worlds. Just shows what I know!

Postby Andy Spark

Ronnie won't be too concerned that Robbo looks to be finding his "A" game because Ronnie knows his own "A" game is the best in the world. Ronnie's "A" game still typically produces 97% PS, while Robbo's is typically 94%. Also Ronnie's average "B" game is 93% PS and Robbo's is 91% PS

However, If they do meet in the final and Robbo is able to produce his best play then Ronnie's "B" game is probably not good enough as 93% < 94%. Also Ronnie has played two sessions already this year with a "C" game which might be a blip as his psychologist wasn't there, but has to be a slight concern.

Postby edwards2000

If Ronnie meets Robbo, chances are, Ronnie wins. Not only because he is almost impossible to beat in the world final, but because Robbo has suffered some bad defeats against him, like the world champs. Fresh in the mind. Expect Robbo to start missing more against Ronnie, and Ronnie to just step up a gear and dismantle him.

That's if Ronnie reaches the final, and if Robbo does. Think people are taking it for granted that one of those two will be there.

Postby Cannonball

And I would just add that Ronnie at 4/6, then back out to 2/1 is daft, just as much as 4 great frames from Robbo will also make him champion. A lot of pie in the sky on here at the moment.

Glad to see everyone is excited by the standards we're witnessing. Snooker is in rude health this tournament.

Postby Andy Spark

edwards2000 wrote:If Ronnie meets Robbo, chances are, Ronnie wins. Not only because he is almost impossible to beat in the world final, but because Robbo has suffered some bad defeats against him, like the world champs. Fresh in the mind. Expect Robbo to start missing more against Ronnie, and Ronnie to just step up a gear and dismantle him.

That's if Ronnie reaches the final, and if Robbo does. Think people are taking it for granted that one of those two will be there.

You are right, I suppose I'm getting a little ahead of things, some tough matches still to come.

Postby Cannonball

Andy Spark wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:If Ronnie meets Robbo, chances are, Ronnie wins. Not only because he is almost impossible to beat in the world final, but because Robbo has suffered some bad defeats against him, like the world champs. Fresh in the mind. Expect Robbo to start missing more against Ronnie, and Ronnie to just step up a gear and dismantle him.

You are right, I suppose I'm getting a little ahead of things, some tough matches still to come.

On current form, I don't know who'd win, I know it would be close though, deciding frame?

Postby Cannonball

Ok, enough drooling over Robbo and Dale, this is the World Championships, so let's get back on topic:

It's the ROCKET!

:pompom:

Ronnie O'Sullivan!

:mental:

ROCKET!

:bex:

ROCKET!

:band:

ROCKET!

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

On current form, I don't know who'd win, I know it would be close though, deciding frame?

Would love a decider, we havent had one since that 2002 Final when Ebdon won against Hendry, and this is the longest period we've had with no deciders at the Crucible.

1st decider: 1985 World Final
2nd decider: 1994 World Final, 9 years after the last
3rd decider: 2002 World Final, 8 years after the last

Now it's been 12 years without one, a shame really. Hopefully it's this year.

Postby Cloud Strife

Good performance today by the computer number 1. Hope he goes on to face Ronnie in the final. Chances are he won't be able to reproduce that kind of form against Ronnie, mainly due to the aura that Ronnie has and the myth that surrounds him.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Would love a decider, we havent had one since that 2002 Final when Ebdon won against Hendry, and this is the longest period we've had with no deciders at the Crucible.

Well a decider in the World Final is just the greatest thing that can happen in snooker. But if Ronnie is in the final, I don't want a decider <laugh> The tension would be unbearable.

Postby Souvent

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Well a decider in the World Final is just the greatest thing that can happen in snooker. But if Ronnie is in the final, I don't want a decider <laugh> The tension would be unbearable.

But if he eventually won the reward would be tenfold sweeter. :-)

Postby edwards2000

The thing with the Robertsons and Trumps of the world is, once they are under extreme pressure, those risky long reds, and super pots, dry up. And instead of blasting opponents off the table, they just get tanned. Like Hendry did, once his long potting became erratic towards the end of his career. You need a fall back game, and those two are not in Higgins / O'Sullivan league. On that basis more than anything, I would make Ronnie favourite over Robertson all day long.

Postby edwards2000

I'm disputing it :P

If he reaches the final... yes. But I've had a bad feeling about Murphy from before the draw even came out. And it is no easy task to beat Hawkins and Murphy/Fu. If he reaches the final, I'll give him the nod. If Robertson keeps up this standard, then he may be the only man to beat O'Sullivan in a final. I can't see it though. At the moment, I am not confident at all that Ronnie will be there. He hasn't played to the standard yet consistently, and has already nearly been caught out. Overall, favourite for the title is certainly Robbo.

It's only if they meet in the final, that I'd go Ronnie.

This year is impossible to call. It could easily be a Murphy Trump final.

Postby Andre147

edwards2000 wrote:I'm disputing it :P

If he reaches the final... yes. But I've had a bad feeling about Murphy from before the draw even came out. And it is no easy task to beat Hawkins and Murphy/Fu. If he reaches the final, I'll give him the nod. If Robertson keeps up this standard, then he may be the only man to beat O'Sullivan in a final. I can't see it though. At the moment, I am not confident at all that Ronnie will be there. He hasn't played to the standard yet consistently, and has already nearly been caught out. Overall, favourite for the title is certainly Robbo.

You do need to have more confidence in Ronnie you know. He is the favourite, you can't say he isnt based simply on one performance against Perry, he like every player has the right not to be at his best in a match that he won close, but under extreme pressure he showed his class and what a true champ he is.

In 2004 he also won 13-11 against Andy Hicks and from there blasted past everyone else, Anthony Hamilton in the quarters, Hendry in semis and Dotty in Final.

Im not saying he will blast past Murphy or Fu or even Hawkins, but he's still the favourite for the title, Robbo comes close in 2nd place.

Postby edwards2000

It isn't about confidence, it's about basing your view on what has happened so far. Ronnie has not been to the standard and if he doesn't keep to the standard, he's going to be out bfore the final. I had confidence in him last year, the year before that, and at the Masters this year. Why? Because he was obviously playing better than everyone else early doors. This year, i sense a vulnerability. If he reaches the final, I will be far more optimistic about his chances, but do not be surprised if he is sent packing next round.

I am just being real. Robbo fans have everything to be confident about, apart from a final against Ronnie... and perhaps his next match against Trump. But Robertson is the man to beat this year.

Postby Andy Spark

I remember Murphy had a shocker of a 1st session against Ronnie in 2011 and Ronnie was below average in that session. Murphy has had a good season but still don't think his best play is good enough to beat an average Ronnie, also Ronnie says he quite likes the style Murphy plays the game, (not too slow, attacking). I think Ronnie would prefer playing Murphy to Fu based on style of play.

Postby SnookerFan

edwards2000 wrote:I'm disputing it :P

Ronnie is favourite. I could understand why you'd say he wasn't last year. But I for one, would be amazed if he didn't win it.

Postby SnookerFan

I have had a terrible start to the night. In Sainsburys, I wanted to buy a bottle of wine for my mate for tomorrow. As they like cabernet sauvignon, I picked a bottle of nice stuff that was more than 25% off. (It meant to be £8, but cost less than 6.)

However, by mistake I picked up a bottle of merlot. (It was from the same vineyard, so had the same label and was next to it in the store.) I ended up paying the full £8.

They'd better appreciate it. :grrr: