Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Monday April 28th) Last 16 !

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:I've got nothing against him watching snooker, but surely it's not the best idea to watch Robbo v Allen, when he should be focused on getting past Fu, and maybe sorting out his careless misses on 40+? It's alright when he has a couple of days off between matches, but mid-match?

Well whatever works for him, I suppose.

Maybe it relaxes him, takes his mind of it.

A bit like how revising on the morning of an exam. It only panics you, and rarely teaches you anything you don't already know.

Postby Cannonball

Sonny wrote:I do but there you go. Let's see what happens next season because sooner or later Ding is going to turn the tide on Ronnie.

Ding played rubbish in the Welsh final but listening to him I think it's done him good and he's learned from it.

I'm getting a little annoyed at the bandwagoners banging on about Ding being rubbish at the Crucible and having a problem with Ronnie. Here's the truth:

1. In peak form every player on the circuit has a problem with Ronnie. Accept it, he's a cut above.

2. Ding came up against a guy playing out of his skin, this happens to great players, Hendry, Davis, ROS have all suffered the same fate in Round 1 before. Would Robbo, Trump, Allen, Selby have beaten Wasley in that form? Ding does not have a problem with the Crucible at all.

3. He's won 6 rankers, can people please stop saying he only wins tin pot tournaments. The China Open is tin pot? Get a grip.

4. Ding has been named heir to the throne by Ronnie himself, who said that Ding has the most complete game of any player.

5. There isn't a player in the game that would swap getting to the final of the Worlds and not winning it for Ding's prolific season, not one.

So please, cut the guy some slack and show a bit of respect. If you want to know why Ding is so good, this annus horribilis at the Worlds aside, check out Sonny's superb article on Ding's playing style: I can't remember the link and I wish we had a search engine on the island (though tagging everything would be a chore for someone I guess). Maybe someone can share the link?
Last edited by Cannonball on 28 Apr 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Roland

Yes Cannonball agreed. And it's here http://www.snookerisland.com/blog/playi ... ng-junhui/

There's a link at the top to the blog.

And yes I know I said I'd do more players but haven't got around to it yet. No rush anyway, I'll do them in time. Already started on Judd and Robbo

Postby Skullman

Cannonball wrote:I'm getting a little annoyed at the bandwagoners banging on about Ding being rubbish at the Crucible and having a problem with Ronnie.

Well, Ding does have a poor record here. Wasley aside, he lost to Day from 9-6 up and looked like he fell apart. He lost to Hawkins in the quarters, and Barry wasn't especially good in beating Ding. He's only been past the last 16 once.

And with, Ronnie, yes he's lost to Ronnie playing well, but he also lost to Ronnie playing badly, such as the CoC, where he was very beatable, and in the first session of the Welsh final, where Ronnie was far from spectacular and playing more like B game Higgins. The thing is, other people can beat can beat Ronnie, whilst Ding hasn't since that Masters final, whether Ronnie was playing well or not.

Postby Cannonball

Sonny wrote:Yes Cannonball agreed. And it's here http://www.snookerisland.com/blog/playi ... ng-junhui/

There's a link at the top to the blog.

And yes I know I said I'd do more players but haven't got around to it yet. No rush anyway, I'll do them in time. Already started on Judd and Robbo

Thankyou for that. I was going to ask if you'd do Judd. He has such a different set-up, cueing technique and playing style to the other players. He's a polar extreme and few coaches would teach the Judd way, but it works for him and it will be fascinating to read what you make of him. In this prolific year of centuries and points scoring, it will also be interesting to see your analysis of Robbo the player. ;-) I know a lot of Islanders don't play that much but for those of us who do, this articles are really revealing and helpful.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
Cannonball wrote:I'm getting a little annoyed at the bandwagoners banging on about Ding being rubbish at the Crucible and having a problem with Ronnie.

Well, Ding does have a poor record here. Wasley aside, he lost to Day from 9-6 up and looked like he fell apart. He lost to Hawkins in the quarters, and Barry wasn't especially good in beating Ding. He's only been past the last 16 once.

And with, Ronnie, yes he's lost to Ronnie playing well, but he also lost to Ronnie playing badly, such as the CoC, where he was very beatable, and in the first session of the Welsh final, where Ronnie was far from spectacular and playing more like B game Higgins. The thing is, other people can beat can beat Ronnie, whilst Ding hasn't since that Masters final, whether Ronnie was playing well or not.

Well, I've said this (as a fan of Ding and Ronnie), has Ding seen a sports psycho? If he does have a Robbie bugbear then he needs to sort it, not just Ronnie, but any player. His season suggests he is not afraid of the other 126 players.

Postby Cannonball

Ok guys and gals, what will the final scores be do you think? As it stands:

1pm

Dominic Dale 12-4 Michael Wasley Never Played Before
Mark Allen 7-9 Neil Robertson Robertson leads 11-6

7pm

Shaun Murphy 9-7 Marco Fu Murphy leads 10-6
Judd Trump 10-6 Ryan Day Trump leads 3-2

Postby Roland

Dale, Robbo, Fu and Trump to win. I think Fu can pressure Murphy and Shaun hasn't looked that good to be honest. He can always pot balls when they are in the open but he still takes on too many in the belief he can pot everything and Fu has hopefully had his bad spell in the match from 4-4 to 8-4.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:Dom 13-4 or 13-5
Allen 10-13 Robbo
Murphy 13-11 Fu
Judd 13-8 Day

I'd go with that, makes sense. But I do hope Fu wins so Sonny can collect his winnings and go to the pub tonight.

Postby Cannonball

Looks like the red button is on Dale. The beeb are going to show the conclusion to a match people. Is this a scheduling accident?