Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Tue April 29th) Quarter Fina

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:That was like 2011 all over again! rofl

Murphy threw this match away already I think.

Yeah agree, for Murphy it all started after a missed red to top left pocket, after that brilliant blue to corner...

After he missed that red and that frame when Ronnie needed a snooker, he just wasn't the same player anymore.

I felt a bit sorry for Murphy actually but thats snooker and he didnt take advantage of a below par Ronnie early on.

From there, especially the last 2 frames, Ronnie's class just showed. :hatoff:

Postby Skullman

Cannonball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
ttol wrote:Tbh I wish Higgins was still playing decent. These guys are just too weak, RoS must be laughing.

There once was a time when we had Hendry, Higgins, Ronnie, Williams, Hunter, Stevens, Ebdon... all playing fantastic snooker. The standard was incredibly high in those days. What great matches we had back then...

A hundred centuries in one season suggests that standards have increased if anything.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

If it's like 2011, Ronnie will be 8-5 in the quarters and end up losing :|

You know what I mean. Ronnie also only played mediocre against Shaun in the first session that year and was also somehow was 6-2 in front.

Postby ttol

Cannonball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
ttol wrote:Tbh I wish Higgins was still playing decent. These guys are just too weak, RoS must be laughing.

There once was a time when we had Hendry, Higgins, Ronnie, Williams, Hunter, Stevens, Ebdon... all playing fantastic snooker. The standard was incredibly high in those days. What great matches we had back then...

A hundred centuries in one season suggests that standards have increased if anything.

Well potentially Ronnie could be playing Dale next round, so...

Postby Cannonball

Blavdes wrote:Oh such a perfect day...

Selby in a scrap, Robbo on the ropes, Ronnie cruising.

Has this been written by the gods of snooker? It's flippin wonderful! :bowdown:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:

Yeah agree, for Murphy it all started after a missed red to top left pocket, after that brilliant blue to corner...

After he missed that red and that frame when Ronnie needed a snooker, he just wasn't the same player anymore.

I felt a bit sorry for Murphy actually but thats snooker and he didnt take advantage of a below par Ronnie early on.

From there, especially the last 2 frames, Ronnie's class just showed. :hatoff:

Hendry said after the third frame straight away that he can't see Ronnie losing this match. Shaun missed the trick in the third frame. After that he was rattled and missed the pressure pots.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Near enough. I wonder what the total century count if for all tournaments this year and how that compares with previous seasons, highs and lows? Obviously, there are more tournaments but that could be taken into account by multiplying the total number of centuries in 2013/14 from all players by a factor x/y, x being the number of old tournaments (say in the 80s/90s) and y the present day number of tournaments. We could compare the number of centuries (or total points scored if you like) with previous years, and decades.
Last edited by Cannonball on 29 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Skullman wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Centuries don't say everything. Match play was better in those days I think. Would Robbo make a lot of centuries against prime Higgins or Hendry? Not even talking about the standard, for some reason we had lots better matches in those days...

Postby Andy Spark

For aficionados of snooker psychology it really has been a bonanza this afternoon. I mean, talk about a player not mentally prepared to play a World Championship quarter-final against Ronnie O'Sullivan! <doh>

Also Robertson gets to 99 centuries and then plays a really dodgy session! Maybe the target was a distraction for him. Snooker is a game played on a 6 foot by 12 foot table but sometimes it's played all in the mind. This afternoon is just such an occasion.
Last edited by Andy Spark on 29 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cannonball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Centuries don't say everything. Match play was better in those days I think. Would Robbo make a lot of centuries against prime Higgins or Hendry? Not even talking about the standard, for some reason we had lots better matches in those days...

Hendry dominated by taking risks and scoring high. He didn't like safety and he didn't do matchplay, he simply potted people off the table. Robbo does that, Ronnie has done it. Davis did it and so did Reardon (though the latter two relied more on safety to be fair). Higgins is a mixture of old and new school. For me, players don't just score heavier, they have better technique. Snooker moved on from 'boxer' stance and cue action (ala Joe Davis) when Steve Davis popularised foot in line, compact, bent bridge etc. The new players have moved the technique boundaries, Judd and Robbo especially (DIng is quite traditional, ala Davis for me).

Postby Cannonball

edwards2000 wrote:You can't rely on potting power alone these days, and dominating the tour like Hendry did is no longer possible. You need an all round game now most times.

I agree and that's another reason I disagree with the poster about standards. Hendry had it cushy for the first of his six titles, once Davis went missing. What opposition?! Look at what Ronnie faces now; incredible potters and break-builders. Hendry could not have coped with Judd, Robbo, Smurph, Selby, Allen, even Hawkins. He couldn't cope with Higgins and Williams and these new players are a cut above them for me.

Postby Cannonball

masterdoctorgenius wrote:judd has a brain of a frog

why play it so hard

Because he can. And when you've got cue power, it's always tempting to use it, even if improperly.

Postby Andy Spark

Last frame of the session is always big but when there's loads of psychology flying around like this afternoon it becomes massive. I think whoever wins this frame is favorite for the match.