Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Wed April 30th) Quarter Fina

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:You could have an event every week of the year and anyone would be hard pushed to get near it.

Simple, Robbo entered tin pot silly CL, Ding didn't :wave: pmsl

Robbo made 22 tons alone in that CL thing pmsl

Of course Ding could have also entered the CL but I'm glad he didnt.

Without CL Robbo would now be on 78 tons, a fairer reflection.

He still had to do those tons in CL, no I',m not arguing with that, BUT, they do need to get rid of CL as soon as possible, a complete farce. pmsl

Postby NNear

mantorok wrote:
Sonny wrote:You could have an event every week of the year and anyone would be hard pushed to get near it.

I'm not doubting the impressiveness of this achievement, but I would like to see the stat compared on a percentage basis of tons to number of frames, then compare that down the years.

Take these as stats then you get an idea for quality of play:

2007/08 = Highest century count = 50, tournaments (exc. qualifiers) = 13 = 3.8 centuries per tournament
2013/14 = Highest century count = 100, tournaments (exc. qualifiers) = 30 = 3.3 centuries per tournament

So although a record has been broken I still stand by what I say, more tournaments = more centuries, which is bl00dy obvious when you think about it!

I think Robertson has been scoring centuries at roughly 1 in every 8 frames which equals the best historical rates AND has maintained such efficiency and form over a much greater amount of frames. So, even by the first measure, his century scoring has been among the best in history. Add on top of that the sheer number and consistency and what you have is a very impressive tally.

Postby NNear

http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/centuri ... rateSeason

Robbo's current rate is 8.1

The best done in a single season previously in history (with minimum of 200 frames played) is...

Season/Frames/Centuries/Frames-per

2006/2007 Ronnie O'Sullivan 322 43 7.49
2007/2008 Ronnie O'Sullivan 383 50 7.66
2010/2011 Ronnie O'Sullivan 266 34 7.82
2004/2005 Ronnie O'Sullivan 351 42 8.36
2003/2004 Ronnie O'Sullivan 359 42 8.55
2008/2009 Ronnie O'Sullivan 329 38 8.66
2002/2003 Stephen Hendry 315 36 8.75
2008/2009 Mark Selby 361 41 8.8

1991/1992 Stephen Hendry 751 53 14.17
2013/2014 Neil Robertson 810 100 8.1

This is the only Hendry season I could find where he played a comparable number of frames to Neil Robertson in the current season. The season comes from right in the middle of Hendry's most successful winning years, though admittedly it wasn't one of his more impressive averages. Perhaps that shows how hard it is to maintain an average of 10/11, which is what Hendry typically achieved in seasons where he competed in many less frames. Perhaps it shouldn't be underestimated just how difficult it is to maintain such efficiency of heavy scoring over such a large number of frames.

Neil Robertson is equalling the best historical rates and has maintained it over many frames. The only other person who has done this is Ronnie O'Sullivan, observe below:

2006/2007 Ronnie O'Sullivan 322 43 7.49
2007/2008 Ronnie O'Sullivan 383 50 7.66
2008/2009 Ronnie O'Sullivan 329 38 8.66

A sequence of frames over three seasons that give rise to the following statistics:

Ronnie O'Sullivan 1034 131 7.89
Neil Robertson 810 100 8.1

Robertson has achieved a consistency of scoring that puts him in a special league and is more prolific than any period of century getting by Stephen Hendry as far as I can tell.

Robertson has created the most sensational one season burst of scoring consistency perhaps ever seen.

Ronnie has the longevity of scoring over the three seasons at a clip of about 8, the same as Robbo, which is also very impressive in a slightly different way.

I'm doubtful as to whether Ronnie or Hendry would have produced a season like Neil has. They might have done but they might not have done. Ronnie? Doubtful, given his temperament and general ways. Hendry? Maybe, but his best effort over a comparable number of frames in a single season is way way way off from Robertson's mark.

Robertson's achievement gets my highest praise, basically.
Last edited by NNear on 01 May 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Postby NNear

Neil Robertson is now also firmly the best century getter of the current decade (I realise the notion of decades is arbitrary and just a means of categorisation but whatever, I'm just going to state this anyway).

http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/centuri ... e&status=p

Hendry had the most for the 90's, Ronnie for the 2000's, and it looks like Robertson is in a good position to have the most for the 10's as well as also getting the most centuries over any 10 year period, ever.

Postby NNear

I'd go as far as to say that, given Robertson's recent brilliant display of match play against Trump AND his amazing scoring ability, that he along with Ding and O'Sullivan are now starting to raise the snooker bar yet again. It's been some time coming, I think.

Evolution. It happens.

Postby Jester82

Funny thing with Robbo. When he walked off in the corridors, he asked s.o. for the score of the CL-semifinal and sighed in dissapointment when he was told they lost 3-1. Might have heard some swearing as well. Seems to be a Chelseafan.

Postby Roland

I don't care about the rate per frames, it's meaningless. Yes it wouldn't be possible in the Rodney Walker era but it is now and it's been done, and it won't be done again for a long long time. Trust me. Why would anyone else chase it when it's already been done?

Postby NNear

Sonny wrote:I don't care about the rate per frames, it's meaningless. Yes it wouldn't be possible in the Rodney Walker era but it is now and it's been done, and it won't be done again for a long long time. Trust me. Why would anyone else chase it when it's already been done?

I disagree. It does something to at least add some context to the whole argument against Robertson's achievement not being so good. The argument of there being more frames doesn't hold up well. Statistics are just statistics and often aren't helpful but in this instance it helps to provide context and backbone for Robertson's achievement. Him achieving century breaks at such a rate over so many frames is why he's achieved so many more centuries this season than anybody else. He's not just been average and got some record only because he's played a zillion zimmer frames but instead has been an undeniably legitimate, prolific and heavy scorer to a level that can only be lauded.

Postby edwards2000

Century averages are by far the fairest test of breakbuilding prowess, and more than that, doing it in the triple crown (or at least Masters and World, since Barry has destroyed the UK now). In the future, we may have double the tournaments we have now, and then 100 centuries will be beaten by a few players. Totals are misleading, and total nonsense. Especially so since Robertson gained huge numbers from a throwaway worthless tournament.

Breakbuilding on the greatest stage is where it counts, and 100 centuries from mickey mouse tournaments, does not come close to breakbuilding records at the crucible.

Postby edwards2000

Andre147 PGC wrote:

Simple, Robbo entered tin pot silly CL, Ding didn't :wave: pmsl

Robbo made 22 tons alone in that CL thing pmsl

Of course Ding could have also entered the CL but I'm glad he didnt.

Without CL Robbo would now be on 78 tons, a fairer reflection.

He still had to do those tons in CL, no I',m not arguing with that, BUT, they do need to get rid of CL as soon as possible, a complete farce. pmsl

That sums it up. Tournaments like this and the PTC that none of the big players really give a hoot about and can score heavily with so little pressure placed upon them.

Let's see Neil break the century total record at the crucible, or even the average record there. He hasn't even made a 147 there. THAT'S the difference.

Postby Roland

Robbo went for it to such an extent he lost frames by going for it, he was calculating how many points were left in the frame and if it was on, he entered and I dare say deliberately didn't qualify in the CL so he could have some more free goes at upping the total. Think what you want about the CL and I'm not a fan, but you have to take your hat off to Robbo for commitment to the cause and it's brilliant that he's done it because at one point yesterday when Judd lead 11-8 he looked destined to finish on 99, in which case that black against Allen would have haunted him forevermore.

It basically points to Robbo being the mentally strongest player out there today, which is what I think he is.