Topic locked

Re: World Championship S F 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Barry Haw

Postby Holden Chinaski

GJ wrote:He had his bunny in 2012 and a rookie finalist last year.

This final will be his toughest test

What about John freaking Higgins in 2001? I'd say he's a pretty tough one.
Or if you want something more recent, what about Selby in this years Masters, or Ding in the Welsh?

Postby Souvent

masterdoctorgenius wrote:i dont care if he loses or wins. i said last year everything is a bonus now. too have so many bonuses i didnt expext that.

whoever it is, it will be tough. but ronnie will def be up for it. Wants he 100 % win ratio in worlds finals be still intact after that

He might retire if he loses.

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:
Skullman wrote:
NNear wrote:Thanks. Specifically how has this session gone, Hawkins just hasn't been up to the task and out of gas?

2-2 before the MSI about fair. Both had chances to take it 3-1. Ronnie stepped after and Hawkins started missing, no idea why. Could be out of gas or just nervous.

Thanks for the succinct responses.

Ronnie will be very fresh and ready for the final it seems. He should have it in the tank to fight all the way for a third title in a row. From what I've seen though, he looks beatable. Barry really messed up in the very first session of the semi-final and could never quite cling on to Ronnie's coattails thereafter.

I wonder if he's saving his best and most intense concentration for the final? He certainly delivered in the Welsh and Masters when it mattered most. He talks about pacing himself, something that has come from running, and from Peters. If so, we could be in for some vintage Ronster come the hour. And you know, that the crowd will be 90% behind him. His opponent will have to fight a grizzly bear with sharp claws, that's how intimidating the Crucible will be for them. There is no way they're gonna support the antithesis of snooker and no way they're gonna support a drongo against Ronnie.

Postby Alex0paul

Holden Chinaski wrote:
GJ wrote:He had his bunny in 2012 and a rookie finalist last year.

This final will be his toughest test

What about John freaking Higgins in 2001? I'd say he's a pretty tough one.
Or if you want something more recent, what about Selby in this years Masters, or Ding in the Welsh?

Last time he beat Selby by a similar scoreline (9-3 at the 09 UK) he lost their next meeting 10-9 in the Masters final.

I wouldn't read too much into the result of this years Masters tbh

Postby Cannonball

Haha, this thread is near double the other SF thread. The haters can say all they like, but Ronnie is THE man. Even they can't stop talking about him. No-one gives a monkeys chuff for the rest.

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:Ronnies record in finals v his 2 potential opponents

????????

2-2 with Selby (Masters 2009, 2014 for ROS, Welsh 2008, Masters 2010 for Selby)

0-1 with Robbo (World Open 2010 for Robbo but that was only best of 9)

One or two session matches completely different to a four session match though.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:Ronnies record in finals v his 2 potential opponents

????????

2-2 with Selby (Masters 2009, 2014 for ROS, Welsh 2008, Masters 2010 for Selby)

0-1 with Robbo (World Open 2010 for Robbo but that was only best of 9)

One or two session matches completely different to a four session match though.

Any stats on what the Crucible crowd will do to his opponent. Or how knackered his opponent will be after a draining slugfest? Ask Barry about that one.

Postby Skullman

Cannonball wrote:Any stats on what the Crucible crowd will do to his opponent. Or how knackered his opponent will be after a draining slugfest? Ask Barry about that one.

Only Crucible match between Selby and ROS went to Selby :wave:

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
Cannonball wrote:Any stats on what the Crucible crowd will do to his opponent. Or how knackered his opponent will be after a draining slugfest? Ask Barry about that one.

Only Crucible match between Selby and ROS went to Selby :wave:

Not a world final on one table though eh?! And this match, was it pre-Peters? rofl

Postby Vallomas

Ronnie is a real legend. And we are blessed that we have the opportunity to watch him play. Imagine in 10-20 years, when you will watching snooker with your children or grandchildren, you will be able to tell them that you have lived in Ronnie' era.

Simply the best ever.

Postby Cannonball

boris_the_butcher wrote:Selby and Robbo simply playing to decide who can be labelled 2014 world finalist throughout next season.

Yeah, I'm a loser, but it was Ronnie, so it was a victory in relative terms. rofl

Postby Holden Chinaski

In all fairness, Robbo and Selby are probably the only two players in the world right now who are capable of beating Ronnie in the final of the world championship. They are both great players and hard as nails.
That being said, Ronnie is the greatest ever and he has been in the final five times before and never lost one. I'm pretty confident Ronnie will win.