Topic locked

Re: World Championship S F 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Barry Haw

Postby Alex0paul

Holden Chinaski wrote:In all fairness, Robbo and Selby are probably the only two players in the world right now who are capable of beating Ronnie in the final of the world championship. They are both great players and hard as nails.
That being said, Ronnie is the greatest ever and he has been in the final five times before and never lost one. I'm pretty confident Ronnie will win.

Hendry had been in 6 finals and never lost before 1997. The run will end one day.

Postby GJ

Alex0paul wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:In all fairness, Robbo and Selby are probably the only two players in the world right now who are capable of beating Ronnie in the final of the world championship. They are both great players and hard as nails.
That being said, Ronnie is the greatest ever and he has been in the final five times before and never lost one. I'm pretty confident Ronnie will win.

Hendry had been in 6 finals and never lost before 1997. The run will end one day.

:hatoff:

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie now at least has a chance to win the title. And that's more important than keeping the "unbeaten in World Finals" stat safe :wave:

Eaxctly, and thats the most important thing, win or lose.

Some saying his unbeaten record will have to end, well is it written in the starts it does have to end?

Not it isn't, Ronnie might win every World Final he contests, Hendry lost in 1997 but what if he hadn't? Or if he hadnt lost in 2002? Would be 9 time Worlds Champ by now.

So now you talking like it's written in the stars it will have to end, but it doesn't, at least I hope it doesnt.

But if he loses he's had one of his most consistent seasons ever so it wouldnt be the end of the world.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie's run to the final also means that he will rise from his current ranking position no. 27 to at least no. 4.

A much better reflection of his ability in my opinion :wave:

He also will be in a pretty good spot for the big events in the coming season even if he doesn't win the final on Monday.

SO you know what position Ronnie will be in if he wins the title? I dont think he can reach WN1 can he?

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cannonball wrote:When and what was the last tournament Selby won?

Antwerp Open 2013.

Last major title was the 2013 Masters.

Antwerp Open eh, can he remember that far back?
Last edited by Cannonball on 02 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie's run to the final also means that he will rise from his current ranking position no. 27 to at least no. 4.

He also will be in a pretty good spot for the big events in the coming season even if he doesn't win the final on Monday.

SO you know what position Ronnie will be in if he wins the title? I dont think he can reach WN1 can he?

No, not after Ding's season. The Masters money doesn't count, and the Welsh was only 60k I think.

Postby Alex0paul

Cannonball wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cannonball wrote:When and what was the last tournament Selby won?

Antwerp Open 2013.

Last major title was the 2013 Masters.

I think you mean the Masters 2012 :chuckle:

Antwerp Open eh, can he remember that far back?

Robertson won the 2012 Masters....

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie now at least has a chance to win the title. And that's more important than keeping the "unbeaten in World Finals" stat safe :wave:

Eaxctly, and thats the most important thing, win or lose.

Some saying his unbeaten record will have to end, well is it written in the starts it does have to end?

Not it isn't, Ronnie might win every World Final he contests, Hendry lost in 1997 but what if he hadn't? Or if he hadnt lost in 2002? Would be 9 time Worlds Champ by now.

So now you talking like it's written in the stars it will have to end, but it doesn't, at least I hope it doesnt.

But if he loses he's had one of his most consistent seasons ever so it wouldnt be the end of the world.

Exactly. He's had a great season no matter what happens on Sunday and Monday. Ronnie had another great run at Crucible, having now won 14 matches in a row since 2011.

And even if Ronnie loses (and there's no shame in losing to Selby or Robbo), he will have another chance next year to get that title number 6. Ronnie is going nowhere in the foreseeable future.

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:By the end of the other semi, that thread may have more posts or at least a comparable amount.

Watch out, Cannonball.

It's bound to, they're gonna play an extra session and it will go on and on and on and on................

Comment, they'll have nothing else to do as the players take two minutes per shot. rofl

Postby Skullman

Cannonball wrote:It's bound to, they're gonna play an extra session and it will go on and on and on and on................

Comment, they'll have nothing else to do as the players take two minutes per shot. rofl

They might take two minutes because they're both facing someone capable of actually troubling them.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:

No, but he will be WN3 if he wins. And in case Robbo wins tomorrow he will be WN3 regardless of what happens in the final.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
Cannonball wrote:It's bound to, they're gonna play an extra session and it will go on and on and on and on................

They might take two minutes because they're both facing someone capable of actually troubling them.

Er no, does Ronnie need two minutes a shot against anyone? Er, no. That's genius, he's already worked it out with the finest snooker brains since Hendry/Davis. He doesn't need two minutes to find some bottle; different league.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

No, but he will be WN3 if he wins. And in case Robbo wins tomorrow he will be WN3 regardless of what happens in the final.

Not bad for an old crock who doesn't enter tournaments. rofl

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Robbo would be WN1 regardless if he won. Selby would be WN3, could be pushed down to WN4 if Ronnie won and could become WN1 again if he won.

Postby Cannonball

Sonny wrote:It's quite obvious that match took it out of Hawkins, plus the kick he got when looking a dead cert to level at 3-3.

It's the best of 33, not the best of 7. If he can't cope with a bummer frame, god help him. But I agree and everyone on here said the opposite, that the Dale match wouldn't empty his tank. Emotionally, snooker brain, and physically expired. Dale would have been a better opponent, because he would have taken positivity into the match. The hawk knew he was vulnerable.

Postby Cannonball

What you've seen with Barry, after beating Dale, you could also see with the winner of the other semi. Snooker is really tiring, it drains you. And that player will be drained, high on emotion, unable to sleep. Knackered the next day, and facing the Crucible crowd/Ronnie. Like Ronnie said, this is a marathon. Snooker is as much a mental marathon as physical. What condition will Selby/Robbo be in after their slugfest? Once they've drained everything out the tank to get over the line; optimal?

You have to have played some tournaments to understand this. Tournaments at any level, am, pro-am, whatever. It is incredibly draining. When you win, you can't stop being chuffed, but you can't shut down and sleep. When you lose, it's actually easier to sleep in a way.
Last edited by Cannonball on 02 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.