Topic locked

Re: World Championship S F 2 : Mark Selby v Neil Robertson

Postby GJ

Robbo always bounces back from tough loses so I have no doubt he will do the same this time

a very proud fan tonight

:hatoff:

Postby AC or LT?

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:The dream final it is <cool>

Bring it on!

Yeah thats the Final I also wanted.

If were Robbo then so be it, am sure would have been a good one, but Ronnie v Selby has a special touch.

Such a contrast in styles.

I remember Sonny saying last year that if Ronnie and Selby were to ever meet in a Crucible Final it could be one of the best ever Finals.

Reckon you still share the same opinion Sonny.

But the circumstances are different this year. Last season Selby was UK and Masters Champion and Ronnie returned from his hiatus. They played each other a couple of times already this season, so it's not quite that special but still I'm sure it will be a memorable final.

I disagree. They've only played in one real tournament (Masters Finals), the other two were EPTC matches.

The history between these two adds to the greatness of the match up and Selby is in form, as he showed tonight, with O'Sullivan not at his dizzy best that opens it up to be even closer.

I'm calling 18-16 either way.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Post match reactions:

Mark Selby wrote:“Neil played fantastic snooker all through the match. Every time I got a few frames in front and his back was against the wall he just showed his class and came back at me. It was blow for blow towards the end.

“I’ve played everybody in the past and when you leave them a long ball you want them to go for it but with Neil every time he played a long ball I was thinking he’d smash it in and win the frame, and more often than not he did."

"I don’t feel too bad at the moment but I’m sure when I get back to the room I won’t sleep because of all the adrenalin for tomorrow. But I’m looking forward to it and I’ll go out and enjoy it.

“Ronnie’s a genius. He doesn’t fear anyone. I’ve watched his performances this week and he’s played great snooker in patches. In other patches he’s missed a few balls and people haven’t punished him. I know I’m going to get my chances, it’s just whether I take them or not.”

Neil Robertson wrote:“As far as the overall standard goes it has to be up there with any semi-final that’s ever been played here. There was hardly anything missed. It was an unbelievable match,”

“I’ve played well here and reached the (centuries) milestone but the run wasn’t with me. But it terms of the way he held himself together under pressure, he did fantastically well.

“I’m really disappointed. If you’d have told me that this is how I would play tonight I’d think I’d be playing Ronnie in the final but Mark matched me all the way, he played some fantastic stuff. I haven’t bottled it in any way. I didn’t miss a ball to miss the match. Neither did he. The way we won our frames tonight was through brilliant safety play, great long pots and big breaks.”

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... l-showdown

Postby Roland

Skullman wrote:Has someone considered giving the spectators some cough sweets?

If they did that they would each take a minute to "quietly" unwrap each one but giving a constant sweet wrapper noise which you can hear from any position in the theatre

Postby Roland

AC or LT? wrote:GET INNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU BEAUTIFUL bucking BASTARD, SELBY VS O'SULLIVAN WC FINAL. THIS IS LIKE A bucking WET DREAM, YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD SELBY, YOU BEAUTIFUL bucking BASTARD. YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON SELBY, PUT RONNIE IN THE GROUND. YOU'VE BEEN IN TWO MAJOR FINALS ALREADY THIS SEASON, NOW YOU NEED TO WIN THIS ONE.

<laugh>

Postby Roland

Great match, it could have gone either way but you have to say Selby deserved it. He lead through most of the match and when Robbo got the lead at 13-12 he responded. As Robbo said neither of them bottled it, there were no easy balls missed, it came down to safety battles and long potting to get in. I think Robbo was aggrieved that time he went in off on the split, but he wouldn't have been on a red anyway and Selby knocked in a brilliant long red to take advantage under extreme pressure. Besides, Neil had his fair share of run in the early part of the match so it may have evened out a bit at the end.

Massive respect to both players for that brilliant semi-final. One of the best matches I've ever seen. What a standard you need to play at to get to a world final these days.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I expected Robbo to switch into god mode in the final session like in his previous two matches but it didn't happen.

Great win this for Selby, he badly needed one over Robbo after their recent previous encounters. I never thought he could reach the final at the start of the tournament, he started to score heavily again out of nowhere really. It's not that long ago he lost to Mike Dunn and got whitewashed by David Gilbert.

Postby Roland

He's properly focussed this year. He knows he's good enough to win it and he's playing like he believes he's going to win it. Good signs.

I don't think Robbo could do much more to be honest. When you're looking back at how pack splits go when assessing a best of 33 match you're knit picking. Pack splitters rely on luck if you go smashing into them. That's where Ding has the advantage over players like Robbo and Selby.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think Robbo had a slight disadvantage in this match. He had a very tough draw so far and was the last player to play the opening round. Neil looked a bit flat during the whole match.

Thats a cop out

Looking for reasons.

Selby is a top class player and when 2 top class players meet one has to lose

Postby GJ

Selby v robbo matches are always a coin flip.

This time Selby played great and got the win , talking about draws is pointless.

Win that final mark :hatoff: