Topic locked

Re: World Championship S F 2 : Mark Selby v Neil Robertson

Postby Andre147

I just love the matches between these 2, they have very similar styles of play and there's this thing when both face each other... I compare it to the Djokovic v Nadal when they face each other... often one player gets 2 or 3 wins in a row, but then the other bounces back with another 2 or 3, and so on...

This is a fascinating rivarly, I was waiting they faced each other at this stage last year but they didnt, so very happy it has happened this year.

And you know what, I may be one of the very few here, but I believe Selby will win this match... His game seems to be getting back together plus his scoring game has seemed better in this tournament...

I think it's crucial Selby starts well in the first 2 sessions, that is the only way I see him winning this match...

Robbo on the other hand and with that 100 tons out of his mind now will feel more relaxed, so it will surely help him to play well.

But as opposed to what many think I actually believe Selby will give it everything he has to win this match and I think he will, problem is he'll be drained mentally and that doesnt bode well for a possible final v Ronnie.

Whoever comes through this match will have spent a lot of mental energy, and for me Selby will come out as the winner.

Postby Andy Spark

Of course the secret of making 100 centuries in a season is to not play well enough to win your matches comfortably, thus providing you with a greater frame count per match and more opportunities...for example Hendry only made the 16 at the Crucible after his prime.

Against Selby there is another great chance of a close one. Robertson just has to guard against playing too well and running away with it. Provided he makes sure he misses a few pots then he'll have a great chance to set a century target for the season that will stay for years.

Postby edwards2000

SnookerFan wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:Mark Selby doesn't have the positive attitude or the ability to keep up with Robertson in this form. Robertson also won't be phased by slow play nonsense. Selby is a goner.

Bold prediction. :hatoff:

I agree. We'll just have to see if he can make that statement look stupid. :happy:

Postby NNear

Andy Spark wrote:Of course the secret of making 100 centuries in a season is to not play well enough to win your matches comfortably, thus providing you with a greater frame count per match and more opportunities...for example Hendry only made the 16 at the Crucible after his prime.

Against Selby there is another great chance of a close one. Robertson just has to guard against playing too well and running away with it. Provided he makes sure he misses a few pots then he'll have a great chance to set a century target for the season that will stay for years.

How does this work?

If you make a century you win the frame. You don't have to win any more frames to win a match in the case of an opponent making it close. The winner still has to win X frames and has the same chances to make a century break.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:I just love the matches between these 2, they have very similar styles of play and there's this thing when both face each other... I compare it to the Djokovic v Nadal when they face each other... often one player gets 2 or 3 wins in a row, but then the other bounces back with another 2 or 3, and so on...

This is a fascinating rivarly, I was waiting they faced each other at this stage last year but they didnt, so very happy it has happened this year.

And you know what, I may be one of the very few here, but I believe Selby will win this match... His game seems to be getting back together plus his scoring game has seemed better in this tournament...

I think it's crucial Selby starts well in the first 2 sessions, that is the only way I see him winning this match...

Robbo on the other hand and with that 100 tons out of his mind now will feel more relaxed, so it will surely help him to play well.

But as opposed to what many think I actually believe Selby will give it everything he has to win this match and I think he will, problem is he'll be drained mentally and that doesnt bode well for a possible final v Ronnie.

Whoever comes through this match will have spent a lot of mental energy, and for me Selby will come out as the winner.

Good post.

Robbo will be favourite on paper but Selby will be so up for this. In 2010 Mark lost a semi he should have won and he knows he's running out of time. He will give this match a 100%. Neil already had 2 very tough matches in a row now and he looked vulnerable against Allen and Trump in the early parts of his matches.

Should be a cracker, a titanic battle, match play of the highest level.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I'm hoping that this match will be 4-4 after tonight.

I'd like to see one semi-final being unpredictable.

Hawkins was lucky to score 2.

how do you work that out?

Ronnie was lucky to win 2 before the interval Barry should have been 3-1 up

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:I just love the matches between these 2, they have very similar styles of play and there's this thing when both face each other... I compare it to the Djokovic v Nadal when they face each other... often one player gets 2 or 3 wins in a row, but then the other bounces back with another 2 or 3, and so on...

Good post.

Robbo will be favourite on paper but Selby will be so up for this. In 2010 Mark lost a semi he should have won and he knows he's running out of time. He will give this match a 100%. Neil already had 2 very tough matches in a row now and he looked vulnerable against Allen and Trump in the early parts of his matches.

But Neil upped his game under pressure in both matches and i bet that hasent gone unnoticed by Selby

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:But Neil upped his game under pressure in both matches and i bet that hasent gone unnoticed by Selby

True. But Selby isn't that bad under pressure either, is he?

The important thing for Mark will be to advantage in the parts Robbo isn't at his best. Because at his best Neil is too strong for Selby in my opinion.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Good post.

But Neil upped his game under pressure in both matches and i bet that hasent gone unnoticed by Selby

He did up his game no doubt, but only after both of his opponents left him easy chances because prior to Robbo winning all those sucessive frames Allen and Judd left him in easily, but all credit to Neil for still making the most of every chance he got.

My point is Selby will tightten up his safety game and wont let Robbo in that easily, and like SO said Selby will want to go one better this year as opposed to 2010, he really should have won that match but he himself admited that by the 4th session he had nothing left to give, and that was clear to see.

Hopefully the same doesnt happen here.

As I said Selby needs to start strong especially in the first 2 sessions, needs to score heavily like he did against McManus in the 2nd session, if he manages to do that he has every chance of beating Neil, and like I said I actually think Selby will make the Final, but it will be a titanic battle, thats why their matches are always lovely to watch, one of the most enjoyable match ups in Snooker in my opinion, never a dull match between the two because both bring the best out of each other and there are so many twists and turns when both play.

Cant wait, and if it's not asking much a deciding frame or at least 30 or above frames played would be very nice.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
Ronnie was lucky to win 2 before the interval Barry should have been 3-1 up

Hawkins should've pushed on from the MSI, but he made mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake.

Ronnie could've not turned up, and Hawkins would've struggled to get out of it 4-4.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:But Neil upped his game under pressure in both matches and i bet that hasent gone unnoticed by Selby

True. But Selby isn't that bad under pressure either, is he?

The important thing for Mark will be to advantage in the parts Robbo isn't at his best. Because at his best Neil is too strong for Selby in my opinion.

Yeah thats why I think too, if Neil plays his very best he wins no doubt, but if he doesnt, because he certainly wont for the whole of the match, then Selby has to take advantage of that, unlike Allen or Judd could, especially Judd in my opinion.

Also Selby's positional play will have to be good, he too often runs out of position when on a potencial frame winning break, so needs to sort that out, and I think he will.

Postby Wildey

luckbox wrote:I think the centuries issue being resolved and the last 5 frames against Trump should let Robbo push on now. But hoping for a close one.

yea the century thing is done and dusted now so its on to the World Title no 2 for Robbo.

Postby Andy Spark

NNear wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Of course the secret of making 100 centuries in a season is to not play well enough to win your matches comfortably, thus providing you with a greater frame count per match and more opportunities...for example Hendry only made the 16 at the Crucible after his prime.

How does this work?

If you make a century you win the frame. You don't have to win any more frames to win a match in the case of an opponent making it close. The winner still has to win X frames and has the same chances to make a century break.

Th maths is sound. Suppose it's a best of 3 frames situation, the maximum number of centuries you can make is 2. Although 3 frames are contested you can't make a century in any more than 2, so you start off with 3 opportunities to make 2 centuries. If I'm 48 points up say in frame one and I come to the table I can now no longer make a century in that frame, so now I have only 2 opportunities but can still make up to 2 centuries. The century making odds will now change according to who wins the frame...

If I win I have 2 opportunities but can now only make a single century, if I lose I still have 2 opportunities but can still make 2 centuries. So if I'm going for centuries a season I'm better off losing that frame.