Topic locked

Re: World Championship Final: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby

Postby Sickpotter

Skullman wrote:If achievements outweigh opinion, 16 is still the target. Whatever your opinion of the Joe Davis era was and how he ran the game, he still has the most.

Seriously Skull? You know very well you have to look at comperable achievements.

The WCs of Joe Davis are in no way comperable to the WCs of the modern game. Field, format, conditions aren't even remotely similar.

Postby Skullman

That was in response to Vodka's assertion that achievements outweigh opinion every time. I was just saying if that were true, then we'd have to stick with Joe Davis rather than Hendry as he was going for.

I don't actually believe that.

Postby The Cueist

I know , But we are only discussing this in the aftermathnof the loss of ronnies title.

I felt ronnie wanted to rexpond and became a little anxious in the few chances he was given.

Mark keptbhim on the leash , Ronnie couldnt score and he gave mark the utmot respect for his shrewd tactical play.

Ronnie will be back , Mark Selby is world champion and he fully deserved it.

He worked hard and played out of bis skin , Power of mind over matter , He pkayed the table and left ronnie a mine feild nearly every time he played safe.

Ronnie couldnt getbout of most lf them and then he missed a pink and two blacks thats three frames.

Ronnie pkayed well all tournament and he will always do well .

He has always had it.

He has turned out to ba a matured vintage .

Mark Selby was always gonna be a world champion one day , And he had to pkay one lf the toughest opponents
You could meet.

Just shows how good ne is , And what I particularly thought a lot of, Was how he dedicated his win to the memory of his late father .

What a lovely decent fella he is , Family first .

A really nice gsture that .

He is a good humoured guy , Always remembers that he is human and he has that way about him..

Of course iwas gutted ronnie lost , But I knew Mark Selby would be a tough match for ronnie.

I think Mark jyst wanted it more and pjayed the match of his life .

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:That was in response to Vodka's assertion that achievements outweigh opinion every time. I was just saying if that were true, then we'd have to stick with Joe Davis rather than Hendry as he was going for.

I don't actually believe that.

The entire system was different when Joe Davis was winning. It was just him picking and choosing who he wanted to play in a one off challenge match. That is not comparable to the system used from the mid 70s onwards.

Hendry has won 7 titles under the present format, O'Sullivan has won 5.

If O'Sullivan wins 8 and I am still alive and interested in snooker and posting on here, I will be the first to say O'Sullivan is the greatest.

:hatoff:

Postby NNear

The Cueist wrote:I know , But we are only discussing this in the aftermathnof the loss of ronnies title.

I felt ronnie wanted to rexpond and became a little anxious in the few chances he was given.

Mark keptbhim on the leash , Ronnie couldnt score and he gave mark the utmot respect for his shrewd tactical play.

Ronnie will be back , Mark Selby is world champion and he fully deserved it.

He worked hard and played out of bis skin , Power of mind over matter , He pkayed the table and left ronnie a mine feild nearly every time he played safe.

Ronnie couldnt getbout of most lf them and then he missed a pink and two blacks thats three frames.

Ronnie pkayed well all tournament and he will always do well .

He has always had it.

He has turned out to ba a matured vintage .

Mark Selby was always gonna be a world champion one day , And he had to pkay one lf the toughest opponents
You could meet.

Just shows how good ne is , And what I particularly thought a lot of, Was how he dedicated his win to the memory of his late father .

What a lovely decent fella he is , Family first .

A really nice gsture that .

He is a good humoured guy , Always remembers that he is human and he has that way about him..

Of course iwas gutted ronnie lost , But I knew Mark Selby would be a tough match for ronnie.

I think Mark jyst wanted it more and pjayed the match of his life .

Great balanced post. You're very fair despite having your own favourites. I like to follow your cue (no pun intended).

Postby rocketronnie147

Let's face it, Ronnie just didn't have it.....I mean, that pink was just.....I don't even know what to say, that frame was massive in the grand scheme of things. I give Selby credit in that he played tactically perfect. But I despise watching him play. He's one of the most boring players to watch, and I feel as though he takes Ronnie out of his flow by taking too much time to take a shot.

As I said, he played a tactically brilliant match and he is a deserving champ. Ronnie didn't anything near his even average level, and so, I would not expect him to beat someone like Selby with his Z game. I'm sure some of Ronnie's play was due to Marks play too, so credit to Mark.

Ronnie seemed just fine with his effort and almost at peace with the fact he just didn't have it in the final. That's some great maturation, and I really hope he continues his light schedule......he has so many records in front of him, and if he avoids burnout, he has plenty of time to break them ALL!

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

SnookerFan wrote:
kolompar wrote:last time I checked talk was about bunnies, now its goat, will we discuss a whole zoo?

Are they zoo animals or farm animals?

Discuss.

I'd say a bunny is more a domestic pet and if mark selby is a bunny then he is general woundwort.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

SnookerFan wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:I'd say a bunny is more a domestic pet and if mark selby is a bunny then he is general woundwort.

Selby beats Ronnie a lot, considering he's a bunny.

Yip, strange that guy who kept posting bunny pics has disappeared lol. He was a bit unhinged, should we be contacting hospitals?

Postby mantorok

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Oh that missed pink is hurting me big time
Any instances that higgins, hendry missed such easy shots in such circumstances

Yeah it was a bad miss but there were other misses that together contributed to the demise of his world title.

I know it was Monday but you should be over this by now! lol

Postby masterdoctorgenius

mantorok wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:Oh that missed pink is hurting me big time
Any instances that higgins, hendry missed such easy shots in such circumstances

Yeah it was a bad miss but there were Otter misses that together contributed to the demise of his world title.

I know it was Monday but you should be over this by now! lol

It is so hard to forget that shot. I was screaming in joy in my room after he potted that pressure blue. I was already celebrating because i never thought he would that pinkt. I was so downbeat after that shot. To win the last frame the way he did would have given hom some boost after losing all the framea before the MSI

Postby Roland

It was huge but I'm not sure it had any bearing on the result. I had my back turned to put the kettle on, Selby had missed a trick and Ronnie potted a really good pressure brown and blue and the pink was unmissable. Then I heard the noise of the shot and the gasps from the crowd.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:It was huge but I'm not sure it had any bearing on the result. I had my back turned to put the kettle on, Selby had missed a trick and Ronnie potted a really good pressure brown and blue and the pink was unmissable. Then I heard the noise of the shot and the gasps from the crowd.

Just before O'Sullivan played that pink he was 1.01 to win the frame on Betfair, and several punters backed it!

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:A beautiful time for snooker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoEu_QPt0ds

Even though he beat my favourite player he fully deserves this title, did what he had to do to stop Ronnie's fluency and in the end like Dotty and Ebdon have also done at the Worlds against him it worked. :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:Hendry missing that final black in the middle against MJW in the masters?

ps. topic should be locked at 103 pages :)

30 times harder than the pink Ronnie missed

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:I'd say a bunny is more a domestic pet and if mark selby is a bunny then he is general woundwort.

Selby beats Ronnie a lot, considering he's a bunny.

During this season Selby played in 7 finals from APTC 1 in June 15th to The Big one May 5th and the only 2 tournaments he won he beat Ronnie in the Final.

Postby Dan-cat

Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Hendry missing that final black in the middle against MJW in the masters?

ps. topic should be locked at 103 pages :)

30 times harder than the pink Ronnie missed

Wild, I've told you a million times stop exaggerating. :-D

Postby Sickpotter

Gotta agree with Wild.

The final black in the deciding frame from tight on the cushion and dead straight is far more difficult than that pink Ronnie missed.

Hendry couldn't hit it firm, the cueball would've just followed the black in, had to be played dead weight...very tough shot in any circumstances never mind for a title. Infinitely harder than a straight pink with no hampered cueing to move 12-11 in front IMO.