Topic locked

Re: World Championship Final: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby

Postby SavoMilosevic

Mark Williams will be back, you'll see! As a world champion (:D) this year I bravely make that final prediction. He's only 39 years old and when I saw him in Sofia during the PTC event he didn't look old like Higgins. He just has to stop eating hamburgers and get his ass back to the table.McManus and Dale are older than him and way less talented and they played some excellent snooker this year at the Crucible. McManus was in such a hole a few years ago, he was playing like a club player...

Btw, in my opinion MJW is the most difficult opponent for Selby because he doesn't mind the frames going scrappy and ugly and he can pull almost impossible pots when he is at his best.

Postby Andre147

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
Andre147 wrote:We should all try and reach the magical 100 here like Robbo did (added 3 more to finish with 103) with his tons :-D

Shouldn't have banned the trolls, we would be on 200 pages :)

No we wouldnt because after Selby gradually got his way back into the match they wouldnt post anymore so <laugh>

Postby Roland

Yeah if you remember back to the final of the German Masters when Selby played Williams that's testament to Williams being able to match and better the safety of Selby. Williams was a brilliant brilliant player. Every time he took on a pot you'd think "That's risky" but then he always left the white so the only red he could leave was the one he missed. And his safety game is up there with the best that's ever been. See, I choose my favourite players wisely :santa:

Postby Andre147

SavoMilosevic wrote:Mark Williams will be back, you'll see! As a world champion (:D) this year I bravely make that final prediction. He's only 39 years old and when I saw him in Sofia during the PTC event he didn't look old like Higgins. He just has to stop eating hamburgers and get his ass back to the table.McManus and Dale are older than him and way less talented and they played some excellent snooker this year at the Crucible. McManus was in such a hole a few years ago, he was playing like a club player...

Btw, in my opinion MJW is the most difficult opponent for Selby because he doesn't mind the frames going scrappy and ugly and he can pull almost impossible pots when he is at his best.

You make a good point, that Sofia PTC was the Mark Williams of old, he was just so so good in that PTC it was frightnening at times :hatoff:

He can cope well with Selby's tactics I agree, but I'm afraid his game is nowhere near the level required to win a ranking event. It's allright doing it in a PTC, but a full ranker is another matter.

I can only see him winning another one if he gets a lucky draw and doesnt face too many top seeds, because if he does his game his way too inconsistent at the moment and he can switch very easily between God mode and Crap mode. <laugh>

Postby TheRocket

Well, unless Ronnie's scoring from everywhere, it was clear from the beginning that tough scrappy frames would be inevitable. It was predictable that Selby will be trying to drag Ronnie into those long safety battles.

But if Ronnie was scoring better, like in the Masters, he would have come through but he just hasn't. Missed to many key balls and sitters and made far too many positional mistakes throughout the WC, very unlike Ronnie. Unfortunately.

But overall I'm in an upbeat mood. I wrote if before. If someone had told me in 2011 that Ron is gonna reach 3 more world finals, winning two of them , not in a million years I would have believed in that.

Ron can be proud what he has achieved over these last 2 and a half years. I don't know whether he will win one more World Title but even if he stays at 5, I will be more than happy with that.
Last edited by TheRocket on 06 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

SavoMilosevic wrote:Mark Williams will be back, you'll see! As a world champion (:D) this year I bravely make that final prediction. He's only 39 years old and when I saw him in Sofia during the PTC event he didn't look old like Higgins. He just has to stop eating hamburgers and get his ass back to the table.McManus and Dale are older than him and way less talented and they played some excellent snooker this year at the Crucible. McManus was in such a hole a few years ago, he was playing like a club player...

MJW is my second favourite player and I would love it to see him winning another big title. I even want him to beat Ronnie to beat his Ronnie curse. Lol.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Well, unless Ronnie's scoring out from everywhere, it was clear from the beginning that tough scrappy frames would be inevitable. It was predictable that Selby will be trying to drag Ronnie into those long safety battles.

But if Ronnie was scoring better, like in the Masters, he would have come through but he just hasn't. Missed to many key balls and sitters and made far too many positional mistakes throughout the WC, very unlike Ronnie. Unfortunately.

But overall I'm in an upbeat mood. I wrote if before. If someone had told me in 2011 that Ron is gonna reach 3 more world finals, winning two of them , not in a million years I would have believed in that.

Ron can be proud what he has achieved over these last 2 and a half years. I don't know whether he will win one more World Title but even if he stays at 5, I will be more than happy with that.

Good post TR, that's basically what I think too. <ok>

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:You make a good point, that Sofia PTC was the Mark Williams of old, he was just so so good in that PTC it was frightnening at times :hatoff:

He can cope well with Selby's tactics I agree, but I'm afraid his game is nowhere near the level required to win a ranking event. It's allright doing it in a PTC, but a full ranker is another matter.

I can only see him winning another one if he gets a lucky draw and doesnt face too many top seeds, because if he does his game his way too inconsistent at the moment and he can switch very easily between God mode and Crap mode. <laugh>

Yeah, anyone remember the Indian PTC Open? He completely thrashed Selby 4-1 (and played extremely well in doing so) and then lost 4-2 to Adi Mehta, playing poorly.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:

MJW is my second favourite player and I would love it to see him winning another big title. I even want him to beat Ronnie to beat his Ronnie curse. Lol.

In a PTC that would be more than fine, but in a Big match the curse would have to continue I'm afraid. <laugh>

Postby TheRocket

MJW was really unlucky though when he was playing Ronnie. I mean, everytime he played him over the last 7-8 years, Ronnie played extremely strong stuff. His best chance was at the Masters 2010 and he should have really won it in the decider. Ronnie opened the pack by potting the blue but unluckily potted two reds as well.

Williams had a very open table, played a bad positional shot though and missed a red to the middle. He still had a chance after that but missed a long red. That was his best chance so far. In the other matches he was clearly outplayed.

Postby SavoMilosevic

Sonny wrote:Yeah if you remember back to the final of the German Masters when Selby played Williams that's testament to Williams being able to match and better the safety of Selby. Williams was a brilliant brilliant player. Every time he took on a pot you'd think "That's risky" but then he always left the white so the only red he could leave was the one he missed. And his safety game is up there with the best that's ever been. See, I choose my favourite players wisely :santa:

Yes, that final was sooo good. Williams - Selby is a classic rivalry, their game styles match really well. I see you were a MJW fan, but you prefer Selby or you just changed the player, because he is not the same force anymore?

Postby SavoMilosevic

TheRocket wrote:MJW was really unlucky though when he was playing Ronnie. I mean, everytime he played him over the last 7-8 years, Ronnie played extremely strong stuff. His best chance was at the Masters 2010 and he should have really won it in the decider. Ronnie opened the pack by potting the blue but unluckily potted two reds as well.

Williams had a very open table, played a bad positional shot though and missed a red to the middle. He still had a chance after that but missed a long red. That was his best chance so far. In the other matches he was clearly outplayed.

2006 World QF was the other good chance. From 10-6 made it 11-11 outplaying Ronnie with his safety and potting, was on 40 in the 23rd but played a similar careless positional shot.. He had other chances in the last two but missed them.

When I mentioned the PTC in Sofia, I didn't mean MJW played great (he played rubbish actually), I meant that was the first time I saw him in person and he didn't look as old as Higgins - appearance-wise.

Postby mantorok

Ok. So who here thinks these are possible scenarios:

1. Ronnie is furious right now at the result and vows to reclaim another world title next year.
2. He takes his medicine and continues to play on slowly declining and slipping down the rankings.
3. He takes it on the chin and continues to win titles playing well but no more world titles.

After 2011 he did something about his form. Will he be bothered to change anything now?

Postby TheRocket

Sometimes MJW's strength is his weakness at the same time. It's good that he's always so relaxed and cool under pressure but sometimes it leads to the point that he plays really careless shots and he really gifted away that match in 2010 against Higgins. Same with the Australian Open final and shangai masters final.

Shame really because after that he never found his old strength. As I said, he's my second favourite player and I really want to see him winning titles again.

Postby Andre147

SavoMilosevic wrote:
TheRocket wrote:MJW was really unlucky though when he was playing Ronnie. I mean, everytime he played him over the last 7-8 years, Ronnie played extremely strong stuff. His best chance was at the Masters 2010 and he should have really won it in the decider. Ronnie opened the pack by potting the blue but unluckily potted two reds as well.

2006 World QF was the other good chance. From 10-6 made it 11-11 outplaying Ronnie with his safety and potting, was on 40 in the 23rd but played a similar careless positional shot.. He had other chances in the last two but missed them.

When I mentioned the PTC in Sofia, I didn't mean MJW played great (he played rubbish actually), I meant that was the first time I saw him in person and he didn't look as old as Higgins - appearance-wise.

Yeah the Masters and that encounter at the 2006 Worlds were by far his best chances of beating Ronnie since MJW last beat him way back in 2002 (unless you count those 2 CL wins rofl pmsl )

I misundesrtood it actually, the PTC when he played brilliantly wasn't in Sofia but instead PTC2 in Rotterdam when he beat Selby 4-3 in the Final, that was the good old Williams right there.

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:Ok. So who here thinks these are possible scenarios:

1. Ronnie is furious right now at the result and vows to reclaim another world title next year.
2. He takes his medicine and continues to play on slowly declining and slipping down the rankings.
3. He takes it on the chin and continues to win titles playing well but no more world titles.

After 2011 he did something about his form. Will he be bothered to change anything now?

For me it's scenario 3, but unlike 1 he won't be furious BUT he'll win at least 1 more World Title, I definately think he will, plus a few more rankers me thinks.

Sure losing here is a major blow for him to equal Hendry's 7 Worlds, but that was always a bit out of reach and if you had told me in 2011 he would be in with a chance of equalling that I would laugh so hard at you <laugh>

I still think he can win another World Title, he said one of his goals is to win one in his 40s and I think he can do it. It's as much about desire and how he truly wants it, his game is still in very good shape despite this setback.

Postby TheRocket

mantorok wrote:Ok. So who here thinks these are possible scenarios:

Really tough to say. 2011 was a different situation. He hadn't won the World for 3 years and had the worst season ever behind his back. But this time it's different.

But as long as he's playing good, he's giving it a go and try to win another one. That's for sure.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:No more talk about future World Championships please? <laugh>

Ronnie will take a break now and will probably return for the European PTCs in early August.

LOL SO.

Don't know if he'll return that early though, my best guess is he'll probably play in PTC2 in Germany but then only in the International Champs in late October.

He definately wants a break now as you say.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:No more talk about future World Championships please? <laugh>

Ronnie will take a break now and will probably return for the European PTCs in early August.

LOL SO.

Don't know if he'll return that early though, my best guess is he'll probably play in PTC2 in Germany but then only in the International Champs in late October.

He definately wants a break now as you say.

Yeah I just noticed the German PTC is in late August, so that will most likely be his first event of the new season. Maybe he'll enter the Shanghai Masters because he said he regretted not going last year.

Postby SavoMilosevic

Andre147 wrote:
SavoMilosevic wrote:

Yeah the Masters and that encounter at the 2006 Worlds were by far his best chances of beating Ronnie since MJW last beat him way back in 2002 (unless you count those 2 CL wins rofl pmsl )

I misundesrtood it actually, the PTC when he played brilliantly wasn't in Sofia but instead PTC2 in Rotterdam when he beat Selby 4-3 in the Final, that was the good old Williams right there.

In one of these CL matches MJW won 3-2 and they made 3 tons in total if I remember correctly... So we can count that one! :D

Postby masterdoctorgenius

congraz to selby and selby fans, he deserved it. played with true grit and determination. was the better player in the last two sessions.

to ronnie. one cant win them all. had his chances but didnt take them. happens in life. nevertheless brilliant tournament.

and sry for my harsh language. heat in the moment stuff. its only a game after all i have to remind to myself

so again. congraz to all selby fans. ur man deserved it
Last edited by masterdoctorgenius on 06 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I'm gonna take a long break as well now. I've been watching snooker all day long for nearly 3 weeks now and I've got a lot of work to do now that mounted up these last weeks. Also I'm completely snooker overdriven at the moment <laugh>

It was a great tournament, I enjoyed posting and reading here every much.

Enjoy the time off guys, I'll be back here during the latter stages of the Wuxi Classic.

:hatoff:

Postby Roland

Peace out SO.

And I'd like to thank everybody for keeping it civil on here. We've had a clash of the titans final and there's not a rivalry among the fans of polar opposite players like this anywhere else in snooker. It's nice that those supporting Ronnie have congratulated Mark on his achievement. And I loved the way Ronnie reacted after the match, he's gone massively up in my estimations.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I'm gonna take a long break as well now. I've been watching snooker all day long for nearly 3 weeks now and I've got a lot of work to do now that mounted up these last weeks. Also I'm completely snooker overdriven at the moment <laugh>

It was a great tournament, I enjoyed posting and reading here every much.

Enjoy the time off guys, I'll be back here during the latter stages of the Wuxi Classic.

:hatoff:

Have a good time. :hatoff:
Probably gonna take a long break as well, was a tough tournament and really long season.