Topic locked

Re: World Championship Final: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby

Postby Blavdes

Skullman wrote:Just wanted to share a stat with you. If Mark were to win, he'd be only the second player to beat both the number 1 and 2 seeds.

The first being Dennis Taylor (Knowles in the semis, Davis in the final), who decided to be an overachiever and beat the number 3 seed as well! (Thorburn in the quarters).

BTW That year was also the last time a player who had the Saturday off lost the final.

It's his destiny to win this year.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Mark Selby got into Ronnie's head a few times in the past. Fortunately that won't happen again these days. Mark will have to beat Ronnie by playing the better snooker, no chance of frustrating him anymore.

Selby played very well tonight but overall I did notice some weaknesses in his game and I'm confident Ronnie will take full advantage of them.

Postby Vallomas

Skullman wrote:Just wanted to share a stat with you. If Mark were to win, he'd be only the second player to beat both the number 1 and 2 seeds.

The first being Dennis Taylor (Knowles in the semis, Davis in the final), who decided to be an overachiever and beat the number 3 seed as well! (Thorburn in the quarters).

BTW That year was also the last time a player who had the Saturday off lost the final.

Another chance for Dennis Taylor to remind you what happened in 1985.

Postby Skullman

Vallomas wrote:

I guarantee that the BBC won't bring that stat up :wave:

Postby GJ

Steve Davis has alot to answer for if he hadn't missed that bloody black , we would never have had to listen to that clueless moron Taylor.

Postby Paddpotter

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Mark Selby got into Ronnie's head a few times in the past. Fortunately that won't happen again these days. Mark will have to beat Ronnie by playing the better snooker, no chance of frustrating him anymore.

Selby played very well tonight but overall I did notice some weaknesses in his game and I'm confident Ronnie will take full advantage of them.

Before it started I had Selby as my favourite but that was on the notion he wouldn't be facing O'Sullivan in the final. Looking at how he went about things this season I just felt he was going to go all out and really turn it on this year and he has thus far.

But I think, like last year O'Sullivan will save his best to last and come out a comfortable winner.

Postby Paddpotter

Vallomas wrote:

I'd love to have him as my Granddad telling me about the 'old days' . But he should not be any where near a snooker commentary box -_- you know 99% of the time what rubbish he is about to spout

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Mark Selby got into Ronnie's head a few times in the past. Fortunately that won't happen again these days. Mark will have to beat Ronnie by playing the better snooker, no chance of frustrating him anymore.

Yeah SO definately agree. Of course if many of the frames go scrappy then thats a clear advantage for Selby, and even though he might not get into Ronnie's head if like I say many frames have that pattern then Ronnie might try to force the issue, and that will be Selby's best chance to counterattack.

But Ronnie's safety game is brilliant too, and like you say SO he wasn't exactly flawless against Robbo even though he played very well. I said it yesterday, if Ronnie had finished his match against Hawkins like he did v Murphy then I would have some serious doubt as to what he would produce in the Final, but the way Ronnie played in that 3rd session against Hawkins makes me feel very confident ahead of this cracking Final.

Ronnie is well up for it, as is Mark, and the fatigue on Selby's part might not come into play tomorrow but on Monday if things are getting tense he may start to feel it too.

Can't wait for this one, could be the most difficult World Final ever for Ronnie, even more than the 2001 Final v Higgins.

Postby Andre147

Practical_Frost wrote:12 out of the last 13 finals have been won by the finalist who won their semi final more easily(in terms of number of frames conceded). So it's not looking good for Selby. The 1 final to buck this trend was in 2002 when Ebdon beat Hendry.

Patterns :-D Also the last time Ronnie had 2 sessions to spare in both quarter and semi finals in 2004 he went on to win the title.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 PGC wrote:

Yeah SO definately agree. Of course if many of the frames go scrappy then thats a clear advantage for Selby, and even though he might not get into Ronnie's head if like I say many frames have that pattern then Ronnie might try to force the issue, and that will be Selby's best chance to counterattack.

But Ronnie's safety game is brilliant too, and like you say SO he wasn't exactly flawless against Robbo even though he played very well. I said it yesterday, if Ronnie had finished his match against Hawkins like he did v Murphy then I would have some serious doubt as to what he would produce in the Final, but the way Ronnie played in that 3rd session against Hawkins makes me feel very confident ahead of this cracking Final.

Ronnie is well up for it, as is Mark, and the fatigue on Selby's part might not come into play tomorrow but on Monday if things are getting tense he may start to feel it too.

Can't wait for this one, could be the most difficult World Final ever for Ronnie, even more than the 2001 Final v Higgins.

Dont compare Selby with Higgins.....

Postby Wildey

Ronnie will have to raise his game considerably to beat Selby tomorrow, what we have seen so far from him wont be anywhere near good enough to win but we all know how Ronnie can raise his game when needed.

But can he in the final?

Postby The Cueist

It is not easy to get to a world final , let alone win one.
But yeh! This will be a tougher final for ronnie than any of the other five he has won.

That is the stark reality if mark turns it on tomorrow.

Of coarse I will want ronnie to beat him , But I am also a realist and I cant wait till tomorrow to see whatbunfolds.

Should be a cracker.

Postby Sickpotter

Looking forward to the final, a true contrast in playing styles which is always fun to see. :spot on:

It'd be nice to see Ronnie pick up a 6th but I'd like to see Selby pick up his first.

I'm not strongly in favor of either so as long as it's a good match (close, some drama/nail biting) then I'll have enjoyed the championship.

I would've liked to see some players challenge Ronnie on the way.....the way Hawkins smiled through his loss made me feel like he never intended to challenge. I know sometimes you can't do anything against a Ronnie onslaught but a pro should never look like he's enjoying a beating. Hoping Selby can do better <ok>

I would've liked Ding to have done something, his season was so good it was hard to watch him fall at the first hurdle. :sad:

We've had the first 100 ton season, it'll be interesting to see what kind of a benchmark that truly is with all the new events. Well done Neil, you had a great season :hatoff:

I like Selby's chances in the final and don't see a blowout.....3-4 frames either way, best of luck to both :mosh2:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:Ronnie will have to raise his game considerably to beat Selby tomorrow, what we have seen so far from him wont be anywhere near good enough to win but we all know how Ronnie can raise his game when needed.

But can he in the final?

Funny, I just wanted to write that Selby would have to raise his game.

Besides that final session against Robbo, Mark needed usually more than 1 chance to win a frame, he's still struggling with his positional play. What impressed me though is that he didn't miss any easy balls tonight.

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Dont compare Selby with Higgins.....

When did I ever compare Selby with Higgins? <laugh> I just said I think it could be a harder Final than the 2001 Final, Higgins has nothing to do with this.