Topic locked

Re: World Championship Final: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby

Postby Skullman

Holden Chinaski wrote:
GJ wrote:He's spot on

Take your blinkers off

I dont care about all that. A world championship is more than just a final.

Besides that Ronnie beat John Higgins in one world final and one Masters final, Stephen Hendry in 2 UK finals, Selby and Ding in Masters finals...etc What else is there to prove? The man has won 26 ranking titles FFS!

He beat Higgins in two Masters finals, 1995 and 2005.

Postby NNear

I can't make my points any clearer. All I'm gonna say is I have huge respect for the accomplishments of all these legends and winning a World Championship is never easy. Also, that in almost every instance, the opponents eventually (or had already) legitimised themselves as consistent and top performers who would win numerous ranking titles. These are professionals and great players, the winners and the finalists.

Postby NNear

I'm looking forward greatly to the final. I think Ronnie is the favourite to win the match but that it's a live match and not easily predicted.

I will be the first to congratulate Selby and his fans should he get the win.

Postby Alex0paul

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:I am arguing your point about trying to big up O'Sullivan's achievements when its clear to all non biased fans that he has had it pretty easy in world finals.

O'Sullivan's opponents in finals seeding adds up to a commulative 59
Hendry's was 35 in his first 6

Please check NNear's argument about playing that type of game you love to play, he can also easily discredit Hendry's achievmnents, just like I can. But unlike you I don't do that because I fully appreciate what a great player Hendry was, you obviously dont appreciate in the slighest how great a player Ronnie is with all those POINTLESS ARGUMENTS <doh>

Go ahead. Im not a Hendry fan or an O'Sullivan fan. Glory supporting to me is boring.

Postby GJ

all players have their titles discredited by some people.

I don't recall anyone putting ronnies wins down until Edwards continually put down Hendry and his so called weak era

Postby NNear

Alex0paul wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:These endless discussions are pathetic. Good night.

They are, but Christ some here like Alex0Paul do love do discredit every Ronnie achievment. Like NNear rightly said, we can all play that game and discredit Hendry's achievements too.

Why don't some here just fully accept Ronnie's amazing achievemnts as ebing one of the greatest ever in this sport?

I know why, it's this feeling that when someone starts winning too much, in this case Ronnie in recent Worlds, they try everything in their power to discredit someone's achievments because basically for them they are winning too much. This is nothing new, happened with Davis in the 80s, Hendry in the 90s and now this <doh>

Just fully accept Ronnie's achievments ffs, and appreciate what a great player he is.

I just find it sad when people go over the top about a performance like the 7-1 session against Bingham last year as "snooker from the gods" when essentially Bingham played useless and kept missing in amongst the balls leaving him an open table.

He isn't a genius, no sportsperson is a genius.

Hendry has produced form just as or more dominant than Ronnie in the past such as scoring 7 centuries past Doherty in a best of 19 final. Well you probably know that but I'm just demonstrating that I don't think Hendry is a mug. I'm in awe of his achievements and the variety of opposition that he beat spanning multiple generations: from Davis to White to the '92ers.

Postby vodkadiet

Holden Chinaski wrote:Whatever happens in this final, Ronnie has done enough in his career to deserve a lot of respect. He's won it all, and beat all the greats.

I hope it will be a great final.

I respect O'Sullivan's achievements, but will never respect him as a person. I also find the gushing comments by the likes of Taylor, Davis, Parrott, turn me off of O'Sullivan even more than I would usually.

I appreciate O'Sullivan has toned it down somewhat in recent times, and while I understand is only a game, I think he has brought the game in to so much disrepute throughout his career that I believe he should have been banned. If it had been tennis, he wouldn't have been permitted to continue his career.

Postby Blavdes

Andre147 PGC wrote:They are, but Christ some here like Alex0Paul do love do discredit every Ronnie achievment. Like NNear rightly said, we can all play that game and discredit Hendry's achievements too.

Why don't some here just fully accept Ronnie's amazing achievemnts as ebing one of the greatest ever in this sport?

They're called trolls. Don't feed the trolls.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Why don't you idiots go ask people who really know snooker like Ray Reardon, Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis and Mark Williams what they think about Ronnie O'Sullivan as a snooker player? They all agree he is fantastic.

The man has won 26 ranking titles, 5 worlds, 4 UK and 5 Masters, but I guess he was just lucky...
At 38 years of age he has nothing left to prove.

Good night idiots.

Postby NNear

Holden Chinaski wrote:Why don't you idiots go ask people who really know snooker like Ray Reardon, Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis and Mark Williams what they think about Ronnie O'Sullivan as a snooker player? They all agree he is fantastic.

The man has won 26 ranking titles, 5 worlds, 4 UK and 5 Masters, but I guess he was just lucky...

Good night idiots.

Anyway, like you said, may the best man win.

Postby PLtheRef

Alex0paul wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:These endless discussions are pathetic. Good night.

They are, but Christ some here like Alex0Paul do love do discredit every Ronnie achievment. Like NNear rightly said, we can all play that game and discredit Hendry's achievements too.

I know why, it's this feeling that when someone starts winning too much, in this case Ronnie in recent Worlds, they try everything in their power to discredit someone's achievments because basically for them they are winning too much. This is nothing new, happened with Davis in the 80s, Hendry in the 90s and now this <doh>

Just fully accept Ronnie's achievments ffs, and appreciate what a great player he is.

I just find it sad when people go over the top about a performance like the 7-1 session against Bingham last year as "snooker from the gods" when essentially Bingham played useless and kept missing in amongst the balls leaving him an open table.

He isn't a genius, no sportsperson is a genius.

This! Last night the amount of applause otherwise mediocre shots received last night just because they came from Ronnie's cue was ridiculous.

He is a fantastic player, and has played very well during the tournament but last night some members of the audience made it patronizing towards Ronnie that he could pot a red ball.

Postby Andre147

NNear wrote:I'm looking forward greatly to the final. I think Ronnie is the favourite to win the match but that it's a live match and not easily predicted.

I will be the first to congratulate Selby and his fans should he get the win.

Yeah me too, Selby does deserve to be Wold Champ, hopefully not this year but if he does, fair play to him, he's one of only a few players who can really stop Ronnie when he's at his best.

I don't think Selby will get hammered like that Masters Final this year, in a way Selby will learn from that and wont make the same mistakes.

He's looking much better in this tournament, has scored heavily and his long potting has been outstanding.

I shall look forward to this final, will certainly be a nerve wracking one as a Ronnie fan but it should be a great final, such a contrast in play styles.

I compare this to the matchup between Steve Davis and Alex Higgins, very similar in many ways.

Postby NNear

The crowds have unfortunately been OTT and often disrespectful. I think somebody called out ''Come on, Ronnie'' in the Robbo Selby semi-final. I think Mark is going to have good support in the final, Ronnie will have more though.

Postby vodkadiet

Holden Chinaski wrote:Why don't you idiots go ask people who really know snooker like Ray Reardon, Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis and Mark Williams what they think about Ronnie O'Sullivan as a snooker player? They all agree he is fantastic.

Good night idiots.

Yes, a great snooker player, but that isn't the issue. The issue is that he is disliked by quite a few snooker fans.

Postby NNear

It is a big clash of styles and that's part of what makes the final so compelling. We also know that Selby can stick it to O'Sullivan and doesn't get hypnotised or demoralised by his play. If he loses it's because he's been outplayed on the day but mentally he's ready for his second crack at a World title.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Whatever happens in this final, Ronnie has done enough in his career to deserve a lot of respect. He's won it all, and beat all the greats.

I respect O'Sullivan's achievements, but will never respect him as a person. I also find the gushing comments by the likes of Taylor, Davis, Parrott, turn me off of O'Sullivan even more than I would usually.

I appreciate O'Sullivan has toned it down somewhat in recent times, and while I understand is only a game, I think he has brought the game in to so much disrepute throughout his career that I believe he should have been banned. If it had been tennis, he wouldn't have been permitted to continue his career.

Yeah some Ronnie fans are idiots no doubt Vodka, plus the likes of those commentators you mentioned always so biased towards him doesnt exactly help matters.

Ronnie has done bad things in the past no doubt, but nothing major to garantee him a ban, Ronnie compared to Alex Higgins is like a schoolboy <laugh>

Postby Blavdes

PLtheRef wrote:This! Last night the amount of applause otherwise mediocre shots received last night just because they came from Ronnie's cue was ridiculous.

He is a fantastic player, and has played very well during the tournament but last night some members of the audience made it patronizing towards Ronnie that he could pot a red ball.

So you find it annoying that fans are supporting their favourite? rofl Welcome to the world of sport.

Actually reminds me of Marcus Campbell last year in the first round after he lost to Ronnie complaining he didn't get as much applause after he made a good pot <doh>

Postby Skullman

NNear wrote:The crowds have unfortunately been OTT and often disrespectful. I think somebody called out ''Come on, Ronnie'' in the Robbo Selby semi-final. I think Mark is going to have good support in the final, Ronnie will have more though.

It was in Judd v Robbo quarter, when Neil was yellow before match ball.

Unless some idiot did it in the semi as well.

Postby NNear

Skullman wrote:
NNear wrote:The crowds have unfortunately been OTT and often disrespectful. I think somebody called out ''Come on, Ronnie'' in the Robbo Selby semi-final. I think Mark is going to have good support in the final, Ronnie will have more though.

It was in Judd v Robbo quarter, when Neil was yellow before match ball.

Unless some idiot did it in the semi as well.

Yep, you're probably right. You're very good with details and facts where as I'm a bit more general and impressionistic.

I seem to remember in another post that you stated that you had compiled a whole load of snooker stats from the history of snooker. Have you made these available or published them on the site anywhere?

Postby PLtheRef

Anyway looking ahead to the match it should be a terrific contest. We've not seen many close finals since Embassy ended sponsorship. I think we will get one over the next two days. 30 Frames a certainty, 32 frames probably, 35 frames very possibly

Postby Skullman

Blavdes wrote:So you find it annoying that fans are supporting their favourite? rofl Welcome to the world of sport.

Actually reminds me of Marcus Campbell last year in the first round after he lost to Ronnie complaining he didn't get as much applause after he made a good pot <doh>

In fairness, it was a brilliant pot and deserved more applause.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 PGC wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Yeah some Ronnie fans are idiots no doubt Vodka, plus the likes of those commentators you mentioned always so biased towards him doesnt exactly help matters.

Ronnie has done bad things in the past no doubt, but nothing major to garantee him a ban, Ronnie compared to Alex Higgins is like a schoolboy <laugh>

Andre, snooker fans who don't like O'Sullivan have to accept that fanboys love him to death, and fanboys have to accept that some snooker fans detest him.

It is called freedom of thought. <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I look forward to this gripping match.

Unlike many Ronnie fans I don't hold any grudges against Selby. He inflicted 2 very painful defeats to Ronnie in finals but I appreciate his bottle, his match play, his shot making and his never say die attitude. Mark Selby would be a worthy World Champion and if he wins all I can do is take my hat off.

But obviously ( rofl ) I badly want Ronnie to win this final and since this year's Masters final I'm confident he can complete a magical hat-trick.

Postby Andre147

As I said the matches between these 2 always remind me of the ones between Alex Higgins and Steve Davis, they are very similar in many ways. I obviously wasn't even born when both those elegends were at their peaks competing against each other, but I've watched countless matches on Youtube between them plus watched many documentaries and it's clear to see that comparison I make makes a lot of sense.

For one part you have Steve Davis and Mark Selby, very dedicated players, great temperament, all round game, tactical awareness, mental titans. For the other part you have Alex Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan, the flamboyant style, fast attacking game, boh also have a great safety game abut sometimes their temperament can be put in question, although in Ronnie's case he has worked on that since Steve Peters came around.