Topic locked

Re: World Championship Final: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:On The Snooker Forum there's a thread about whether Ronnie lost the match on purpose.

Funny how there are never threads when he wins saying his opponent lost on purpose <laugh> rofl

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:On The Snooker Forum there's a thread about whether Ronnie lost the match on purpose.

yea saw that load of bullocks as if Ronnie would fight to get to the final and lose to Selby of all people. <doh>

Postby vodkadiet

The fanboys just cannot accept that their hero got stuffed and his legacy has suffered immensely.

:D :D :D :D

Postby rocketronnie147

although I think that's stupid, the shots he missed make you think.......I don't think Ronnie would ever throw a WC final (or any match), but he played one of the worst matches I've seen him play (recently). Then again, it didn't help that Selby took 10 minutes per shot.

Postby Wildey

rocketronnie147 wrote:

although I think that's stupid, the shots he missed make you think.......I don't think Ronnie would ever throw a WC final (or any match), but he played one of the worst matches I've seen him play (recently). Then again, it didn't help that Selby took 10 minutes per shot.

he missed the pink because it was easy and unmissable so he show boated with it

and regarding Ronnie playing his worst match recently he played to the same standard beating Murphy and Hawkins in the previous rounds. Selby was mentally stronger and could fight back when Ronnie cocked up.

its too easy saying Ronnie played badly when he loses because he also plays badly when he wins sometimes its just covered up better with a win.

ive seen Ronnie playing great stuff and lose and fans cant accept that he can lose when near the top of his form.

Postby vodkadiet

I don't think these fanboys actually watch the snooker. They are too preoccupied doting over their idol to understand what is going on.

The result is the result. Selby beat O'Sullivan and nothing else matters.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
rocketronnie147 wrote:

he missed the pink because it was easy and unmissable so he show boated with it

and regarding Ronnie playing his worst match recently he played to the same standard beating Murphy and Hawkins in the previous rounds. Selby was mentally stronger and could fight back when Ronnie cocked up.

its too easy saying Ronnie played badly when he loses because he also plays badly when he wins sometimes its just covered up better with a win.

ive seen Ronnie playing great stuff and lose and fans cant accept that he can lose when near the top of his form.

Absolutely, some Ronnie fanboys (glad it's not all of them like we can see here on SI) just cannot accept Ronnie can indeed lose a match but having played good snooker. For instance when he lost to Bingham in the UK quarters this season he played very well, but Bingo was just a level above that and fully deserved to win. What was the excuse for that Ronnie loss by those fanboys? Ronnie's head wasn't right rofl <doh>

Anyway, I think Ronnie actually played pretty well against Selby, ok those misses on black and pink are not acceptbale at this level but we've seen those kind of misses even from the likes of Hendry, Davis, Higgins and so on, the thing was Ronnie just couldnt cope with Selby's tactics to disrupt his fluency because everytime Ronnie seemed to get into a good rythm Selby just played incredible safety play and froze huim out, we've seen this before at the Worlds against Ronnie from the likes of Ebdon and Dotty aswell.

Selby was a deserving winner, period, the better player won.

Ronnie will be back playing well, some of his haters obviously don't want that but he'll still be around at the top for a few more years bringing us some magic moments of his incredible snooker.

Postby Jester82

rocketronnie147 wrote:

:shrug:

No, but I do think, the temperature in the Crucible was not set appropriate enough for Ronnie, because obviously one of the officials, who is a Selby fan, just changed it.
Another thought was that Selby paid Ronnie for losing, telling from Selby's rather composed reaction after the last frame...
Maybe you can share some convincing theories with us....go ahead. :chin:

Obviously Ronnie can't lose. This is why there has to be a reason or several, because he is not a human being at snooker, but a robot, so he cannot lose. It's just impossible. :hmmm:

Postby vodkadiet

I have a theory regarding that missed pink.

Off camera, Stephen Hendry was standing behind the left centre pocket, but just at an angle, so as not to block the view of the cameraman. Hendry was jumping up and down pulling faces so as to distract O'Sullivan, trying to make O'Sullivan miss.

It worked!

He then quickly ran back up into the studio to give his assessment of the frame!

The things Hendry will try, just to hold on to his record!

:-D

Postby Roland

He definitely twitched the pink looking back on it. He composed himself and took his time and twitched it. But as he said the black missed at 10-5 had a bigger impact on the result.

Postby TheRocket

People keep talking about the missed pink but like Ronnie said after the final. The black he missed off the spot in the 16 th frame was probably the key ball. I don't know why he suddenly looked at his tip right before he was about to make the shot but it was clearly a mistake.

You can only speculate but if it had gone 11:5 , match could have been really over but he didn't take it. Last year or the year before he probably would have won that frame but this time it just wasn't to be. Being only 10:7 ahead must have made him sick.

Apart from that he made a lot positional errors this year and missed some sitters throughout the whole WC. That's why reaching the final can be regarded as a good achievement I'd say.

Postby mantorok

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Arrrgh that pink
I cant forget it

lol you are not going to get over this are you?

Listen, he wasn't playing particularly brilliant all tournament, he was lucky to come up against a lot of chokers from the quarters onwards and he was found out in the final, his consistency and mental strength got him that far.

He'll be back don't worry man!

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:Arrrgh that pink
I cant forget it

lol you are not going to get over this are you?

Listen, he wasn't playing particularly brilliant all tournament, he was lucky to come up against a lot of chokers from the quarters onwards and he was found out in the final, his consistency and mental strength got him that far.

He'll be back don't worry man!

That black as it's been said here was more important, like TR said, 11-5 up and I couldnt see a way back for Mark, even more so at 12-5.

It's history now, and like you said reaching the final the way he was playing was just a bonus really. He was actually playing very similar to what he did at the UK Champs, but there he found Bingham in the quarters who stopped him in his tracks. Here Perry could have done the same, but I'm very glad he didn't, much better losing a World Final to Selby than losing in the last 16 to Perry.

Anyway, as you say he'll be back I'm sure, he still has at least 2 or 3 years at the top if he truly wants to, and I can see him winning another World Title, I think he will. Reaching 7 was always a bit too far, especially after this loss, but I don't care after where he was in 2011 to where he is now. :hatoff:

Postby Roland

masterdoctorgenius wrote:To win the last two frames of the session and also close fought ones ( which he coupd have easly lost)after losing all frames before the Msi would have given him a 12-11 lead and a confidence boost. When you add the frames he won in the right order he could have led 15-14

Pointless. What about the frames Selby should have won that he didn't?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:To win the last two frames of the session and also close fought ones ( which he coupd have easly lost)after losing all frames before the Msi would have given him a 12-11 lead and a confidence boost. When you add the frames he won in the right order he could have led 15-14

Pointless. What about the frames Selby should have won that he didn't?

Yea i worked it out if Perry had won x amount of frames Ronnie would have lost earlier in the tournament.

it swings in roundabouts and the loser always thinks what if.