Post a reply

Re: Arcaden Paul Hunter Classic (European Tour 4) Discussion

Postby Skullman

bluelagoon wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:I asked this prior to the semi and now it even makes more sense, Ronnie hasn't had a century yet in this tournament and he's already in the final, so has Ronnie ever won a tournament without making at least 1 century? I wouldn't think so, but you never know...

I found one: http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/tournaments.php?ID=387

The 1996 Asian Classic. He beat Morgan 9:8 in the final. Morgan made 3 centuries, ROS none. There are also no centuries for ROS in the Last 32, Last 16, quarterfinal and semifinal.

Haven't checked if there are any other tournaments he won without having a century.

EDIT: Oooops. Someone else was faster with the research ;)

Also 2000 China Open.

PS Just a handy tip, but if you click the link near the top which says Tournament ranking, you can total centuries for everyone in the tournament.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
bluelagoon wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:I asked this prior to the semi and now it even makes more sense, Ronnie hasn't had a century yet in this tournament and he's already in the final, so has Ronnie ever won a tournament without making at least 1 century? I wouldn't think so, but you never know...

I found one: http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/tournaments.php?ID=387

The 1996 Asian Classic. He beat Morgan 9:8 in the final. Morgan made 3 centuries, ROS none. There are also no centuries for ROS in the Last 32, Last 16, quarterfinal and semifinal.

Haven't checked if there are any other tournaments he won without having a century.

EDIT: Oooops. Someone else was faster with the research ;)

Also 2000 China Open.

PS Just a handy tip, but if you click the link near the top which says Tournament ranking, you can total centuries for everyone in the tournament.

Yes very useful too, <ok>

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Havent seen any match of Greene. How is he playing?

You couldn't watch because he hasn't been on TV, but by the looks of it playing good snooker to have reached this far, looking like ROS v Greene final.

Postby Wildey

Sunday 25th of August

3pm

Semi Finals
Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-2 Mark Selby
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gerard Greene 4-3 Allister Carter

7pm

Final
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Gerard Greene

Postby bluelagoon

Greene did it. Seems to be his first ever professional final and by the way his guarantee for not falling of the tour at the end of the season. He should be safe now via the "Top-8-PTC-Survivors" if he ends up lower than 64 on the money list at the end of the season.

Postby Andre147

Head to head Greene and ROS:

ROS leads 4-1, Greene's only victory came at the 1997 British Open last 64, won 5-4.

Also worth mentioning Ronnie beat him 6-4 at the 2005 Irish Masters quarters with 4 tons, a tournament he won, and also their matches have always been close.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Well done Gerard!

In 2007 he played against Marco Fu in the semi finals of the Grand Prix. He came really close and could have reached his first final. Greene lost 6-5 but he would have played the same opponent he faces today, Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Yes remember that match well.

Greene and Ronnie surprisingly I'd say have always had close matches, so you never know what might happen... It's certainly Greene's biggest match of his career, and another surprise finalist after Swail reached the same stage a year ago.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Well done Gerard!

In 2007 he played against Marco Fu in the semi finals of the Grand Prix. He came really close and could have reached his first final. Greene lost 6-5 but he would have played the same opponent he faces today, Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Yes remember that match well.

Greene and Ronnie surprisingly I'd say have always had close matches, so you never know what might happen... It's certainly Greene's biggest match of his career, and another surprise finalist after Swail reached the same stage a year ago.

And maybe Mavis in 2011, when was still a journeyman. But in both those cases, the underdog didn't win.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:One thing I noticed about Ronnie's game is that he doesn't seem to struggle with the long pots any more. Looks like he finally solved the problem he had with his technique or whatever it was.

Definately SO, he had that period between 2006 2010/2011 when his long potting was way off and everytime he went for one it seemed he didn''t really believe he could pot them, because he most often couldn't. But now it's as good as ever, still misses the odd one and he's not a Robbo on the long ones, but it is so much better now, his all round game is as good as ever.

Postby Andre147

Just 12 min final starts, and another title for Ronnie on German grounds just around the corner. :-D

But of course I won't discount Greene just yet cause all of their matches have been surprisingly close and stranger things have happened in snooker, though very difficult to imagine anything but a Ronnie win.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:One thing I noticed about Ronnie's game is that he doesn't seem to struggle with the long pots any more. Looks like he finally solved the problem he had with his technique or whatever it was.

Definately SO, he had that period between 2006 2010/2011 when his long potting was way off and everytime he went for one it seemed he didn''t really believe he could pot them, because he most often couldn't. But now it's as good as ever, still misses the odd one and he's not a Robbo on the long ones, but it is so much better now, his all round game is as good as ever.

Correct.

Let's hope he can keep this level up for a couple of more years because with his current all round game he can win every tournament he plays in and could level Hendry's record.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Correct.

Let's hope he can keep this level up for a couple of more years because with his current all round game he can win every tournament he plays in and could level Hendry's record.

if hendry-fan is around will have something to say about that :john: