Post a reply

Re: Antwerp Open (European Tour 7) Discussion !!

Postby GJ

snooker loopy wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
snooker loopy wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:What about Ding and Robertson?

I just don't think Ding is in as good form as he has been in the past and Robertson would get walked over and then stomped on by Ronnie if they met in the semis..

What makes you think Robertson can't beat Ronnie? Robbo is not known for being a walkover, whoever he plays.

9-5 head to head, most of them Ronnie winning 5-1.

9-5 is hardly huge and robbos greatest strength is forgetting previous matches <ok>

Postby Wildey

snooker loopy wrote:
Skullman wrote:Ignoring CL and PL matches the H2H is only 5-4 to Ronnie. Hardly a crisis for Robbo.

I don't think we should ignore PL and CL matches. All you're proving is Robbo is a slow player.

how is that proving Robbo is a slow player?

it speaks volume for the threat and appeal of Robbo that sitting at home playing daddy he is dominating a thread of a tournament that he had sod all to do with him hour and a half after the tournament finished.

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:
snooker loopy wrote:
Skullman wrote:Ignoring CL and PL matches the H2H is only 5-4 to Ronnie. Hardly a crisis for Robbo.

I don't think we should ignore PL and CL matches. All you're proving is Robbo is a slow player.

how is that proving Robbo is a slow player?

it speaks volume for the threat and appeal of Robbo that sitting at home playing daddy he is dominating a thread of a tournament that he had sod all to do with him hour and a half after the tournament finished.

:D :D :D

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:
Wildey wrote:AC or LT anymore of that rubbish ive deleted and your banned

So you just delete posts you don't agree with now?

no i delete posts if they go over the top and offensive

im not arguing about this just discuss a good tournament and great players without getting offensive

Postby Roland

Well that was a fascinating encounter last night wasn't it? Ronnie looked far superior until Selby cleared up for 2-3, those remaining balls once frame was safe seemed to settle him and he found his game. I couldn't believe the red he missed for 1-1 then the green off the spot, both players getting lucky on the blue before Selby finally sank it. Had Ronnie won that frame it would've been 4-0 no doubt.

I know it's "only a PTC" but it was a final in front of a big crowd and you can see how much these two hate losing to the other, the mutual respect and how that desire to get one over on the other created such pressure that both were missing pots they'd literally sink with their eyes closed. It added to the drama of the occasion and proved once again that this is the best rivalry in snooker. I mean when was the last time Ronnie missed a black off the spot in a pressure situation? 20 years? Anyway, I can't wait for their next big match.

And of course I had to go look at the other place to see how they took the news. As expected :redneck:

http://rocketronnie.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 9&start=25

"Selby's a complete tosser, he'll never be good enough to be world champion because he's a bell end."

"Ronnie has more than done his job this tournament. The title is a bonus, especially against that idiot."

"This Ben is getting a lot of luck though., and he seems to be a bit of a plodder." (That's Ben Woollaston who had the audacity to give Ronnie a game)

"Ronnie needs to learn to stop Selby's slow game by attacking everything when he has nothing to lose. He keeps playing safety game against someone who enjoys wasting his life playing negative shots (and getting away with bad misses) and it just wears out ronnies fluency. Selby deliberately makes frames last 2 hours like he has here.

This is just a PTC... theres no harm in just going for your shots and refusing to play a negative idiot at his own game."

That's what snooker forums used to be like, full of trolls. Snooker Island however accomodates fans of all players and it's great to see decent debate going on with respect shown to all players. Keep it up and enjoy the coming weeks because there's plenty of snooker left before the year is out.

Postby SnookerFan

I liked the quote on commentary yesterday night, I forget who said it. They were discussing that Ronnie had previously been dismissive of Selby's style and said; "But then, why should Selby play to Ronnie's strengths?"

There seems to be this idea that to beat Ronnie you have to play the same style as him, only better. Mark Selby has his own style, and if Ronnie (or anybody else come to that) doesn't like playing him or struggles against that particular style, that's not Selby's problem. What should he do? Say; "Sorry. I'll change my style, to maximise your chances of beating me."

Postby Roland

What I found interesting was when Ronnie was playing Ross Muir, Ross was taking his time on most shots, it was obviously a massive game for him being on tv and playing the World Champion and he was trying his heart out but you could see Ronnie in the background looking bored and watching other matches, obviously feeling restless seeing the lad not playing with the same freedom he himself plays. When Selby was at the table in the final though, Ronnie didn't take his eyes off him.

Postby hadi1258

Andre147 PGC wrote:Just before I go to bed, here's something for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91S03skZI1E

Trump's 147 (most of it) recorded by one of the few fans watching that match. The quality may not be that good, but it's certainly a lot better than the one WS provided for us. <laugh> :wave:

Thank You Dear friend Andre147 PGC ImageImage
How can I find high quality of Judd Trump maximum break 147 Video Clip?

Postby hendry_fan

Sonny wrote:Well that was a fascinating encounter last night wasn't it? Ronnie looked far superior until Selby cleared up for 2-3, those remaining balls once frame was safe seemed to settle him and he found his game. I couldn't believe the red he missed for 1-1 then the green off the spot, both players getting lucky on the blue before Selby finally sank it. Had Ronnie won that frame it would've been 4-0 no doubt.

I know it's "only a PTC" but it was a final in front of a big crowd and you can see how much these two hate losing to the other, the mutual respect and how that desire to get one over on the other created such pressure that both were missing pots they'd literally sink with their eyes closed. It added to the drama of the occasion and proved once again that this is the best rivalry in snooker. I mean when was the last time Ronnie missed a black off the spot in a pressure situation? 20 years? Anyway, I can't wait for their next big match.

And of course I had to go look at the other place to see how they took the news. As expected :redneck:

http://rocketronnie.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 9&start=25

"Selby's a complete tosser, he'll never be good enough to be world champion because he's a bell end."

"Ronnie has more than done his job this tournament. The title is a bonus, especially against that idiot."

"This Ben is getting a lot of luck though., and he seems to be a bit of a plodder." (That's Ben Woollaston who had the audacity to give Ronnie a game)

"Ronnie needs to learn to stop Selby's slow game by attacking everything when he has nothing to lose. He keeps playing safety game against someone who enjoys wasting his life playing negative shots (and getting away with bad misses) and it just wears out ronnies fluency. Selby deliberately makes frames last 2 hours like he has here.

This is just a PTC... theres no harm in just going for your shots and refusing to play a negative idiot at his own game."

That's what snooker forums used to be like, full of trolls. Snooker Island however accomodates fans of all players and it's great to see decent debate going on with respect shown to all players. Keep it up and enjoy the coming weeks because there's plenty of snooker left before the year is out.

rofl Sonny,I did,nt even have to look at that crackpot forum,i knew that they would be going bonkers, and that they,d be throwin there toys out of there prams!. <laugh>

Postby hendry_fan

SnookerFan wrote:I liked the quote on commentary yesterday night, I forget who said it. They were discussing that Ronnie had previously been dismissive of Selby's style and said; "But then, why should Selby play to Ronnie's strengths?"

There seems to be this idea that to beat Ronnie you have to play the same style as him, only better. Mark Selby has his own style, and if Ronnie (or anybody else come to that) doesn't like playing him or struggles against that particular style, that's not Selby's problem. What should he do? Say; "Sorry. I'll change my style, to maximise your chances of beating me."

Absolutely SnookerFan,i clearly remeber that quote,...""But then, why should Selby play to Ronnie's strengths?",i immediatley had a chuckle :chuckle: and thought,thats what i,ve been saying all along,it,s not about pleasing Ronnie or anyone else for that matter!.

If Ronnie does,nt like Selbs style of play,then tough!.

Every player has there style and they should stick to it,if certain other players don,t like it,can,t handle it then boo hoo!,thats they,re problem!.

As far as slowing down deliberatly to knock Ronnie out of his rythm,i would agree on that,that it,s not very sportsmanlike as long as it does,nt go overboard and gets toooo slowww,but in saying that,it,s not forbidden.

And talking of slowness,i did,nt see a slow Selby yesterday,in fact he was quicker than he usualy is and played at a steady pace.

I watched the odd frame from Selby throughout the tourney and one thing i noticed was that his saftey play was well over par by his standards,at times he played very sloppy safeties,very noticeable was him failing to reach or get very close to the baulk cushion after eg playing off a red or colour,thats something he,s usually very good at.

Selbys saftey play i,d say is one of the best there is out there at present but in this tourney for some reason it,s was the worst i,ve seen from him for a long time.

Could be due to the fact that he got a bit infuenced by some who were critisising his style of play.

Mark should stick to his style of play and should,nt let anyone influence him,he knows what does him best and if he decides to play a bit more safety than other players,then so what,it,s certainly not forbidden and besides,it,s a Big part of the game.

Postby hendry_fan

hendry_fan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I liked the quote on commentary yesterday night, I forget who said it. They were discussing that Ronnie had previously been dismissive of Selby's style and said; "But then, why should Selby play to Ronnie's strengths?"

Absolutely SnookerFan,i clearly remeber that quote,...""But then, why should Selby play to Ronnie's strengths?",i immediatley had a chuckle :chuckle: and thought,thats what i,ve been saying all along,it,s not about pleasing Ronnie or anyone else for that matter!.

If Ronnie does,nt like Selbs style of play,then tough!.

Every player has there style and they should stick to it,if certain other players don,t like it,can,t handle it then boo hoo!,thats they,re problem!.

As far as slowing down deliberatly to knock Ronnie out of his rythm,i would agree on that,that it,s not very sportsmanlike as long as it does,nt go overboard and gets toooo slowww,but in saying that,it,s not forbidden.

And talking of slowness,i did,nt see a slow Selby yesterday,in fact he was quicker than he usualy is and played at a steady pace.

I watched the odd frame from Selby throughout the tourney and one thing i noticed was that his saftey play was well over par by his standards,at times he played very sloppy safeties,very noticeable was him failing to reach or get very close to the baulk cushion after eg playing off a red or colour,thats something he,s usually very good at.

Selbys saftey play i,d say is one of the best there is out there at present but in this tourney for some reason it,s was the worst i,ve seen from him by his standards for a long time,his safety play is absolute sublime most of the time.

Don,t get me wrong though,Of course he played some crackin safeties throughout this tourney,he did,nt win the tourney just by pottin balls,but he for sure also played a lot of sloppy,bad safetys,made much more mistakes than he usualy does.

Could be due to the fact that he got a bit infuenced by some who were critisising his style of play.

Mark should stick to his style of play and should,nt let anyone influence him,he knows what does him best and if he decides to play a bit more safety than other players,then so what,it,s certainly not forbidden and besides,it,s a Big part of the game.

Postby Wildey

Players should play to win at all costs theres no point at all playing Ronnie at his own game because you got no chance at all.....the only players that's EVER played Ronnie at his own game and won has been Stephen Hendry and Paul Hunter

Players has to adapt to playing the likes of Ronnie and Selby does it better than most