Topic locked

Re: Coral U K Championship Last 64 Discussion !!!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Is Ronnie's post match interview already available?

Some of them here SO:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/116361 ... onditions/

The rest will follow on InsideSnooker ,me thinks, maybe even tonight if we've lucky.

Ronnie with some strong words there, he never complains about conditions.

Postby NNear

O'Sullivan continued: “I know what they are trying to do - have 128 players. But get a proper venue, get two proper TV tables. It is like asking (Roger) Federer to go and play on court 13 in front of three men and a dog - for Nadal at the French Open to be stuck on an outside court.

..LOL.

He has a point and his ideas are sound. I appreciate his honesty and strong opinions but he could have presented them more appropriately.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman again beat you to it :-D

At least he wasn't complaining about his ankle today, so I assume his condition improved. I'm certain now he won't pull out. Still he wasn't feeling too great out there, he was showing a lot of emotions during the match which is unusual. Ronnie has to improve and Woollaston will be the first big test because he won't beat him playing like he did so far.

Postby Andre147

What u think SO?

Ronnie is absolutely right, even Dotty described the Sports Hall as the toilet. Other players have also already complained, including Ebdon (Ebdon always does to be fair <laugh> ) Higgins and MJW.

Like Ronnie says, 128 here is just too much... and practicing in front of the bar rofl <doh> rofl Ronnie is absolutely right in what he says., and those Tennis examples just prove it even more.

Postby NNear

Watched the vid now rather than just reading the transcript. It just reinforces my view that there should be more exclusive events -- and there are now, with CoC and now the World Grand Prix alongside obviously the Masters. An increase in this type of event PLUS more flat 128 draw events I think is the best future for the sport as things stand.

Postby snooky147

Wildey wrote:I Dont particularly like Carter at all i thought he was a bit of a sausage Head if truth be told however Freezing his ranking was the right decision and as PL the Ref has said they haven froze his ranking long enough.

Its not preferential treatment its just Common sense it does happen in other sports and Cancer is a rubbish thing to come along and buck up your career.

Carter could be out of action for longer due to no fault of his own.

Anyway enough of this bullocks Carter is out of the championship so Move on to players that's still in the UK Championship.

My personal opinion on Carter is that once he recovered enough to start competing and travelling the freeze should have been lifted.

Postby Cannonball

The Cueist wrote:Wel said Cannonball , You certainly dont mince your words.
Much respect for whar you just said.
I know there is many who think it.

I know most of our county team and most below that in local leagues and we all think it. It goes against everything we hold dear in the game. The spirit of the game is not just a rule, it's a way of life in the sport. It's why even though I don't like the Captain, I wish him a good recovery and agree with his ranking being frozen. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I was thinking yesterday that rare rib-eye steak, chips, fried mushrooms, fried tomatoes, fried red onion, etc. would be a good boxing day meal. Cooking another roast the day after roast goose on Xmas day is a pain. And there's nothing like blood dripping down your chin back on to your chips. Very tasty, and blood is a great sauce; always makes the task of making gravy go away. Nice.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:What u think SO?

Ronnie is absolutely right, even Dotty described the Sports Hall as the toilet. Other players have also already complained, including Ebdon (Ebdon always does to be fair <laugh> ) Higgins and MJW.

Like Ronnie says, 128 here is just too much... and practicing in front of the bar rofl <doh> rofl Ronnie is absolutely right in what he says., and those Tennis examples just prove it even more.

He's right of course. Just like last year this event isn't properly organized and not worthy of the UK Championship. Hopefully that will improve next week but at the moment with the BBC presenting in the same room with the bar and practice tables is not what I expect from the second biggest ranking event.

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:O'Sullivan continued: “I know what they are trying to do - have 128 players. But get a proper venue, get two proper TV tables. It is like asking (Roger) Federer to go and play on court 13 in front of three men and a dog - for Nadal at the French Open to be stuck on an outside court.

..LOL.

He has a point and his ideas are sound. I appreciate his honesty and strong opinions but he could have presented them more appropriately.

It did seem like trying to play snooker at your local swimming baths/badminton sports hall. Not good. But club players have to put up with bloody football on tvs in the background, flippin pool players and the plethora of lager drunks and no appreciative crowd! This is much worse. It's not what he's used to, but it's the same for everyone. He needs to get some Howard Leight ear plugs (and better drugs).

Postby vodkadiet

motorhead wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Carter hasn't even missed that many events. Protected rankings in tennis come in when a player is out for a very long time. Carter was only out for a few months. Anyway, World Snooker has always been run by amateurs, so no surprise there.

it's 6 months in tennis, Carter has been out for more than 6 months.

Del Potro has been out for about 9 months and his ranking is now about 150 or something like that. I see no evidence of him being protected. He won't be seeded at the Australian Open. He was in the top 10 when he got injured.

Anyway, there was no snooker at all for about 6 weeks in the summer. And Carter was entered in The Sofia event a few weeks back. As I see it, he missed about 6 events. Hardly worthy of having a ranking protection.

Postby NNear

Sure, the sentiments reek of self entitlement -- the top players should receive the top treatment, and really they should! I think in essence though he isn't just speaking for himself but wants the event to be better for everybody, but sees the importance of the top players carrying the sport. What confuses me slightly though is that he was playing in front of a decent crowd and not 'three men and a dog'. There's no excuse though for bad playing conditions and poor practice conditions. Obviously, snooker is not the most luxurious of sports so it's often easier said than done.

The general problem seems to be a lag effect from the hosts of events catching up to the new demands of the new formats.

Postby NNear

vodkadiet wrote:
motorhead wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Carter hasn't even missed that many events. Protected rankings in tennis come in when a player is out for a very long time. Carter was only out for a few months. Anyway, World Snooker has always been run by amateurs, so no surprise there.

Del Potro has been out for about 9 months and his ranking is now about 150 or something like that. I see no evidence of him being protected. He won't be seeded at the Australian Open. He was in the top 10 when he got injured.

Anyway, there was no snooker at all for about 6 weeks in the summer. And Carter was entered in The Sofia event a few weeks back. As I see it, he missed about 6 events. Hardly worthy of having a ranking protection.

He had a protected ranking first time around for his wrist problems in 2010/11. The minimum requirement in tennis to ask for one is 6 months of injury...:

''protected ranking: Players injured for a minimum of six months can ask for a protected ranking, which is based on his or her average ranking during the first three months of his or her injury. The player can use his or her protected ranking to enter tournaments' main draws or qualifying competitions when coming back from injury.''
Last edited by NNear on 01 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

The Cueist wrote:Andre , I agree , Higgins came back and won the uk and the worlds .

My problem has always been with the decision making process involved whereby other pkayers are baned for
Anything from four to ten years effectively finishing their careers for them.

I am probably the only one who will say it like it is.

Then I listen to a vegetarian extremist ramble on that A man who is trying to fight cancer shouldnt have had his ranking frozen.

I like a wind up but obviously sone people are just not funny mate.
If you get what I am alluding to.

But it is ok for others to continue in their careers when what theyy have done is unethical in my humble opinion.

Mentioning no names of course.

Are you preaching to me about what I should or shouldn't find offensive or what I should or shouldn't find ethical? That really is ironic.

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:Sure, the sentiments reek of self entitlement -- the top players should receive the top treatment. I think in essence though he isn't just speaking for himself but wants the event to be better for everybody, but sees the importance of the top players carrying the sport. What confuses me slightly though is that he was playing in front of a decent crowd and not 'three men and a dog'. There's no excuse though for bad playing conditions and poor practice conditions. Obviously, snooker is not the most luxurious of sports so it's often easier said than done.

The general problem seems to be a lag effect from the hosts of events catching up to the new demands of the new formats.

Ronnie is right but housing all those players in great conditions isn't easy. What bugged me were the pros complaining about having to pay for food at SWSA. Imagine that, millionaires having to pay for their own food. Stone a crow.

Postby vodkadiet

NNear wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
motorhead wrote:

He had a protected ranking first time around for his wrist problems in 2010/11.

Yes, but a protected ranking doesn't mean you get seeded at an event. It just means you get direct entry in to 6 events of your choosing when you return to action.

Postby vodkadiet

snooky147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:I Dont particularly like Carter at all i thought he was a bit of a sausage Head if truth be told however Freezing his ranking was the right decision and as PL the Ref has said they haven froze his ranking long enough.

Its not preferential treatment its just Common sense it does happen in other sports and Cancer is a rubbish thing to come along and buck up your career.

Carter could be out of action for longer due to no fault of his own.

Anyway enough of this bullocks Carter is out of the championship so Move on to players that's still in the UK Championship.

My personal opinion on Carter is that once he recovered enough to start competing and travelling the freeze should have been lifted.

Correct.

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:
NNear wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
motorhead wrote:

He had a protected ranking first time around for his wrist problems in 2010/11.

Yes, but a protected ranking doesn't mean you get seeded at an event. It just means you get direct entry in to 6 events of your choosing when you return to action.

Dreary me, can't you just go and have a twiddle or summat?

Postby Cloud Strife

Cannonball wrote:
NNear wrote:Sure, the sentiments reek of self entitlement -- the top players should receive the top treatment. I think in essence though he isn't just speaking for himself but wants the event to be better for everybody, but sees the importance of the top players carrying the sport. What confuses me slightly though is that he was playing in front of a decent crowd and not 'three men and a dog'. There's no excuse though for bad playing conditions and poor practice conditions. Obviously, snooker is not the most luxurious of sports so it's often easier said than done.

Ronnie is right but housing all those players in great conditions isn't easy. What bugged me were the pros complaining about having to pay for food at SWSA. Imagine that, millionaires having to pay for their own food. Stone a crow.

Millionaires or not mate, it goes against the principle of what hosting an event should be about. I'm sure you don't invite people around for dinner and then expect the invitees to pay for the food, surely?

Well, if somebody is willing to host a snooker tournament and invite the world's best players to come and play the least they can do is provide a decent and nutritious meal at their own cost.

Postby vodkadiet

NNear wrote:Yes, and I agree that that's a better system.

The problem is snooker run by amateurs who cannot even have the foresight to see that players have off the table problems that will affect their ability to play. They just seem to make it up as they go along.

It is as though they come on here, read a few comments by ill informed posters, and make rules up based on that.

So even if Carter doesn't win a match before next April he stills gets to be seeded at The Crucible? What a shambles the WSA are.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:

The problem is snooker run by amateurs who cannot even have the foresight to see that players have off the table problems that will affect their ability to play. They just seem to make it up as they go along.

It is as though they come on here, read a few comments by ill informed posters, and make rules up based on that.

So even if Carter doesn't win a match before next April he stills gets to be seeded at The Crucible? What a shambles the WSA are.

Yeah, I agree that's wrong.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Yeah Vodka is right, his ranking should have been frozen until he started playing, then it would not remain frozen and he would then have a normal ranking again based on his own merit.

He can afford to lose every first round match and still be able to play as seeded player at Crucible, that sure is wrong.

Postby The Cueist

Cannonball , knew there was others that feel the same as myself and others I know .

It goes against everything I hold dear and it would never ctoss my mind to parakeet.

People who do this must think everbody is daft and they will remain undetected .

Wrong and peopke remember.

As for your menu , Very tidy as you say .!!!!!!!!!!!! J!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont know about the blood round your mouth , Distinctly unappetising for my own pallete but hey good luck to you mate.

I prefer a bit of turkey fat round my chin as I can eat quicker and tucknto my sheep in blankets.
You know the minced offal corpse and pig corpses wrapoed in them.

The nuice of the heated corpse meat melds in beautifully with theheated turkey corpse.

My favourite washed down with egg nog advocaat
snowballs.

Vegetarians are banned from christmas dinner in my house.

They usualy hold other views I find offensive.You know I know ne who thinks he is defferent and holds other views that serve only to affirm the fact that he is an attention seeker!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know whoni mean mate ?

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Yeah Vodka is right, his ranking should have been frozen until he started playing, then it would not remain frozen and he would then have a normal ranking again based on his own merit.

He can afford to lose every first round match and still be able to play as seeded player at Crucible, that sure is wrong.

If Carter wins very few matches before Sheffield I think the 17th ranked player should take the WSA to court for a potential loss of earnings.

Postby vodkadiet

The Cueist wrote:Cannonball , knew there was others that feel the same as myself and others I know .

It goes against everything I hold dear and it would never ctoss my mind to parakeet.

People who do this must think everbody is daft and they will remain undetected .

Wrong and peopke remember.

As for your menu , Very tidy as you say .!!!!!!!!!!!! J!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont know about the blood round your mouth , Distinctly unappetising for my own pallete but hey good luck to you mate.

I prefer a bit of turkey fat round my chin as I can eat quicker and tucknto my sheep in blankets.
You know the minced offal corpse and pig corpses wrapoed in them.

The nuice of the heated corpse meat melds in beautifully with theheated turkey corpse.

My favourite washed down with egg nog advocaat
snowballs.

Vegetarians are banned from christmas dinner in my house.

They usualy hold other views I find offensive.You know I know ne who thinks he is defferent and holds other views that serve only to affirm the fact that he is an attention seeker!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know whoni mean mate ?

I would hazard a guess you have been drinking again. Drinking too much is bad for you, as is filling your face with animal corpses and other animal fats.

Not that I have a care for your health or where your terrible eating and drinking habits land you.