Topic locked

Re: Coral U K Championship Last 32 Discussion !!!

Postby Cloud Strife

NNear wrote:So many wrote off Cahill for this decider -- even if they didn't say it I'm sure many felt it.

Watch out!

I said it! And I'm man enough to hold my hands up and say that I was wrong!

Postby NNear

Cloud Strife wrote:
NNear wrote:So many wrote off Cahill for this decider -- even if they didn't say it I'm sure many felt it.

Watch out!

I said it! And I'm man enough to hold my hands up and say that I was wrong!

Yes but also it's the logical assumption. I think Cahill has surprised us all... and he had to make many pretty tough pots in this decider.

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 2nd of December

7pm

Ding Junhui 5-6 James Cahill
Joe Perry 5-6 Mark Davis
Rod Lawler 6-4 Mark Allen
Mark Williams 2-6 Stephen Maguire

Postby NNear

Do we have our hands on a talent here? I mean some of these pots and his mental resilience. Yes he made some silly mistakes and showed inexperience but crickey some of his pure shot-making was very impressive and he played some very encouraging tactical play as well.

Don't wanna get too excited as it's only one event but the way he closed this match out after what happened has left an impression on me.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

NNear wrote:Do we have our hands on a talent here? I mean some of these pots and his mental resilience. Yes he made some silly mistakes and showed inexperience but crickey some of his pure shot-making was very impressive and he played some very encouraging tactical play as well.

Don't wanna get too excited as it's only one event but the way he closed this match out after what happened has left an impression on me.

Michael Wasley did the same thing to Ding at the Worlds this year. And now look what he did so far this season...

Postby NNear

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
NNear wrote:Do we have our hands on a talent here? I mean some of these pots and his mental resilience. Yes he made some silly mistakes and showed inexperience but crickey some of his pure shot-making was very impressive and he played some very encouraging tactical play as well.

Michael Wasley did the same thing to Ding at the Worlds this year. And now look what he did so far this season...

Yeah but this guy is 18! I know not everybody matures at the same rate but the completeness of his game in all departments is clear to see, though obviously he can improve every area substantially still and is a way off the top players as things stand.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Incredible match, match of the tournament by some distance.

Yeah it was, that frame Ding won needing those snookers was pretty special to watch.

Hopefully Cahill wont get beaten by Mavis next round.

Postby AC or LT?

Snooker Overdrive wrote:All stars made their breakthrough by winning a ranking event. I will not get on the hype train until one of these youngsters win an event - just like Trump in 2011 for example.

I'd say getting to the final was a slightly fairer benchmarker, but I take your point.

Postby NNear

Snooker Overdrive wrote:All stars made their breakthrough by winning a ranking event. I will not get on the hype train until one of these youngster wins an event - just like Trump in 2011 for example.

Yeah, I think that's the standard... maybe a final as just previously suggested.

Postby Skullman

AC or LT? wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:All stars made their breakthrough by winning a ranking event. I will not get on the hype train until one of these youngsters win an event - just like Trump in 2011 for example.

I'd say getting to the final was a slightly fairer benchmarker, but I take your point.

But you can players that turn up to a final and then don't follow up. Like Xiao and Adi Mehta.

Postby NNear

Anyway the guy is young and there is certainly no hurry for him. I'm sure he'll keep going out there and enjoy his opportunity, his snooker and just do the best he can. We certainly expect no more than that of him but at the same time it's a pleasure to watch a new guy show what he can do on the world stage and he can be very proud of his exploits here. He should play the rest of the tournament freely and whatever happens happens... enjoy the moment as they say. Good luck to the chap.
Last edited by NNear on 03 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Muppet147

Amazing finish to the match. Well played both men.

I thought Cahill did very well to put together a 50 break in the tenth frame, only to lose it. But the break in the final frame was even better. He showed so much bottle and was actually potting the balls cleaner than at the beginning of the night.

Definitely, a star in the making.

Postby Cloud Strife

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Michael Wasley played far better to beat Ding than Cahill did last night. I wasn't overly impressed, to be honest, though he did pull out some nice pressure pots at the end. Let's see if he can back it up.

Ding was really poor, don't know what's up with him.