Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy !

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Wow! Selby loses a decider at the Masters. I thought I would never see the day!

Selby couldn't see it as well. He was smiling all the time, probably expecting to win the decider comfortably against a nervy Murphy.

Postby Andre147

Happy for Shaun :D

At one point (missed black at 5-3) I thought SO prediction would become true and Selby would win it in a decider, but glad he finally lost one, especially at this tournament.

I too think he'll need to improve against either Mags or Trump.

Poor stuff from the WC so far, but to be fair to Selby most first time WC usually don't do very well in the following season.

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:Well that was disappointing. Now he's ruined his Masters chances too, just like the UK and IC.

And he'll ruin his WC chances also, no one can escape the Crucible Curse :D It's like that movie The Grudge... Think I'll recomend Selby that movie :evilgrin:

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:What a start to the new snooker year! (CL doesn't count)

The Murphy in the last frame reminded me of the Murphy who won the World Championship 10 years ago. I didn't see that coming.

Some of the long ones he knocked in at crucial moments resembled 2005 you're right.

Hopefully he'll improve and barring Ronnie, I would like Murphy to win this title and complete the Triple Crown.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:The last time Selby lost in the first round was in 2011 against Mark King.

Unfortunately that wasn't the greatest tournament with lots of one sided matches in the latter stages.

I said earlier on this thread that I would love if Murphy did a Mark King and knocked him out, and he duly did :D

Shaun :hatoff:

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:NEWSFLASH!!

Darren Morgan will be commentating at this year's Welsh Open!!

Great! I look forward to his every double negative and split infinitive. :D

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:The last time Selby lost in the first round was in 2011 against Mark King.

Unfortunately that wasn't the greatest tournament with lots of one sided matches in the latter stages.

I said earlier on this thread that I would love if Murphy did a Mark King and knocked him out, and he duly did :D

Shaun :hatoff:

ill be honest i see a lot of nerves among Ronnie fans when Selby is in a tournament ive never seen anything even close to that in 30+ years watching Snooker.

Postby vodkadiet

Andy Spark wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:NEWSFLASH!!

Darren Morgan will be commentating at this year's Welsh Open!!

Great! I look forward to his every double negative and split infinitive. :D

His grammar is the worst. It is cringeworthy listening to him.

Postby Cannonball

Sell by date is slain, the orc is dead. Ronnie fans fear Sell by? I don't think so, he's going downhill faster than Hendry did. Ronnie will overtake him in the rankings soon enough. Sell by date's time is over. The orcs are finished.

Selby fans should weep, because he will fail long before Ronnie retires.

Snooker belongs to Ronnie, Robbo, Ding and Judd. And they are worthy. :mosh2:

Well done Smurf, no bottling that one, eventually.

Postby vodkadiet

Cannonball wrote:Sell by date is slain, the orc is dead. Ronnie fans fear Sell by? I don't think so, he's going downhill faster than Hendry did. Ronnie will overtake him in the rankings soon enough. Sell by date's time is over. The orcs are finished.

Selby isn't motivated at the moment. However, if he plays O'Sullivan at The Crucible his senses will sharpen and his game will come out; O'Sullivan will be scared, and Selby will destroy him again.

Postby hendry_fan

I wrote after the 1st frame,"good start to the new year from Selby,knocks in a *100* in the very 1st frame".

It turned out only to be the only real highlight from him bar the *120* he made.

Selbs was out of sorts in every dept of the game today,his safety in which were used to seein him bein good at was way over par by his standards,in fact i,d even say that it was the worst safety he,s served up for a long time. :dizzy:

Murphy played ok,pulled out some good pots at crucial times but the overall performance was far from a superman one.

Well done all the same Shaun. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:Sell by date is slain, the orc is dead. Ronnie fans fear Sell by? I don't think so, he's going downhill faster than Hendry did. Ronnie will overtake him in the rankings soon enough. Sell by date's time is over. The orcs are finished.

well you do a very good impression of recycling in your pants at the prospect of another Selby v Ronnie. and considering how poor Selby has been of late the prospect of a poor Selby beating Ronnie makes things 10 times worst.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:

well you do a very good impression of recycling in your pants at the prospect of another Selby v Ronnie. and considering how poor Selby has been of late the prospect of a poor Selby beating Ronnie makes things 10 times worst.

I think I remember Ronnie beating Selby 10-4 in last years Masters final... Selby fans seem to forget this.

Postby TheRocket

They seem to forget a lot. When it comes to majors, Ronnie beat Selby in two of the three Masters finals and he won both matches at the UK against him while Selby won both WC matches including a WC final.

Overall O'Sullivan is leading the H2h and if you watch Selbys H2H record against the other topplayers you'll realize that O'Sullivan is one of the most successful players against Selby.

Selby is just one of those players alongside side Higgins or Marco Fu as well who are a bigger danger for O'Sullivan and thats why they have a better record against him while many others have a devastating H2H against the Rocket.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:They seem to forget a lot. When it comes to majors, Ronnie beat Selby in two of the three Masters finals and he won both matches at the UK against him while Selby won both WC matches including a WC final.

Overall O'Sullivan is leading the H2h and if you watch Selbys H2H record against the other topplayers you'll realize that O'Sullivan is one of the most successful players against Selby.

Selby is just one of those players alongside side Higgins or Marco Fu as well who are a bigger danger for O'Sullivan and thats why they have a better record against him while many others have a devastating H2H against the Rocket.

2 World Championships wins count for more than the rest of the head to heads combined. In addition, O'Sullivan's wins include the shot lock garbage and even a Condom Park win.

It is the same with John Higgins, take out the nonsense events and he is leading O'Sullivan, including leading 3 out of 5 Crucible matches.

Selby > O'Sullivan
Higgins > O'Sullivan

Postby TheRocket

As important as H2H matches are at the WC, it' still just one match at the end of the day. One bad session and you could be very easily out. And mind you, that O'Sullivan has lost to players in his career (at the WC) who are not even close to being as good as Higgins or Selby (like David Gray, Marco Fu, Graeme Dott, Mark Allen).

But even if you're obsessed about H2H, anyone here will acknowledge that beating Selby and destroying Higgins in two Mastersfinals means a lot and is as important as it can be. Not to mention the other big wins he had over both players.

But putting all this aside. We both know, that the end of the day, it's about the achievements a player had in his career. And we both know, if all three players are retired, it will be always like this even if you don't like it.

O'Sullivan>Higgins>...........................Selby