Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Neil Robertson v Robert Milkin

Postby hendry_fan

Cannonball wrote:Robbo will up his game second half. He usually does. Especially in the last few frames. He rescues a lot of matches, then goes into overdrive knocking in tons. That's why he's so good.

Robbo has as you say res cued a lot of matches,just when it seemed he was out o sorts,on the verge of going out,he can play drivvel and be stuck in 2nd gear for a good few frames and then out o nowhere can rev up to 5th gear and start to rattle in a few BIG breaks and come right back and save himself. :roll: :-D

Although,he has had a dip in form lately and hasn,t been able to pull it off as much as he has done.

Can he pull it off this time!.

Postby AC or LT?

Muppet147 wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Totally and utterly disrespectful of Milkins to play on there.

bull.

He is perfectly entitled to play on.

If he was a skilled player like Ebdon, Dotty, Selby or Harold and actually stood a chance of obtaining them I'd agree, but this is Milkins were talking about

Postby Muppet147

AC or LT? wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:He played on for about two minutes and you are getting your knickers in a twist about it.

It's just a bit dickish when you clearly have no chance of winning the match.

He's disappointed to lose, after putting up a pretty good fight. Give him a break.

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:He played on for about two minutes and you are getting your knickers in a twist about it.

It's just a bit dickish when you clearly have no chance of winning the match.

Please forgive him for still trying to win that frame <doh> Christ, when Selby comes back from needing 4 or 5 snookers (he does this often) then he's entitled to, but a player like Milkins isn't? What if he for instance got a snooker and a free ball from it? He's more than entitled to carry on, not just your beloved Selby :wave:

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Got back later than I thought and missed the whole match. How was it?

Robbo poor up until 4-3 down, but after that Milkins barely got a shot as Robbo produced 3 big breaks to win 6-4. He'll have to improve some aspects of his game, but then again he usually plays his best in the latter stages.

Postby Muppet147

Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:Got back later than I thought and missed the whole match. How was it?

Robbo poor up until 4-3 down, but after that Milkins barely got a shot as Robbo produced 3 big breaks to win 6-4. He'll have to improve some aspects of his game, but then again he usually plays his best in the latter stages.

Yeah, a fair assessment.

He can't play any worse than he did in the first seven frames. So he might even go on and win the tournament.

However, I think Ronnie will be the man to beat. Again.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Those two women with the coloured hair are in the front row again. One of them is more multi-coloured then she was yesterday.

Not the first time I've seen them at the Masters, in other years they both have been there aswell.

Not getting the same reaction as another Front Row Redhead, are they? :evilgrin:

Postby Andy Spark

They've had 8 players from the top 16 playing so far and not a single one of them has managed above 90% pot success! Not a high standard so far.

Also on the subject of standard, I don't agree with Steve Davis' conclusion about this decade's standard in his BBC article on centuries. He even invented a totally new and meaningless ratio stat of "centuries/tournaments", which ignores how the average number of frames in tournaments has fluctuated. He did this because the inconvenient truth is that there is absolutely no firm evidence of any increase in break building standard this decade over last decade; at least at the top end of the pro game. Evidence from viewing various "centuries/frames" ratio stats is useful here.

Postby vodkadiet

Andy Spark wrote:They've had 8 players from the top 16 playing so far and not a single one of them has managed above 90% pot success! Not a high standard so far.

Also on the subject of standard, I don't agree with Steve Davis' conclusion about this decade's standard in his BBC article on centuries. He even invented a totally new and meaningless ratio stat of "centuries/tournaments", which ignores how the average number of frames in tournaments has fluctuated. He did this because the inconvenient truth is that there is absolutely no firm evidence of any increase in break building standard this decade over last decade; at least at the top end of the pro game. Evidence from viewing various "centuries/frames" ratio stats is useful here.

Comparisons between eras is meaningless as the tables have been made far more conducive towards breakbuilding.
It would be like saying the standard of steeplechase horses has improved as more are finishing The Grand National, without taking in to consideration the fact that the fences have been modified.

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:They've had 8 players from the top 16 playing so far and not a single one of them has managed above 90% pot success! Not a high standard so far.

Comparisons between eras is meaningless as the tables have been made far more conducive towards breakbuilding.
It would be like saying the standard of steeplechase horses has improved as more are finishing The Grand National, without taking in to consideration the fact that the fences have been modified.

That's very true, but I was thinking more of 00's V 2010+ decade comparison, pretty much the same era. As far as I know, I don't think they have changed the tables much in the last 15 years.

The Crucible Almanac (for instance) shows there is no discernible upward trend in "centuries/frames" ratio at the Crucible since around 2002, it has hovered at around 10% the last 12 years.

Postby shankly

vodkadiet wrote:Comparisons between eras is meaningless as the tables have been made far more conducive towards breakbuilding.

Exactly this. Balls have changed as well. Also the game is much more attacking these days. Everyone just wants to pot balls. Watching the PTCs, the lower ranked players (probably more so than the top boys, who know when to keep it tight) just go for long pots like nobody's business. They miss it, bust the balls open, opponent clears up.

Also the 00s was when the amount of tournaments took a real dip, wasn't it? Stands to reason people were coming in cold, nervous, etc and not making as many tons. None of this 'practice conditions' matches like in the PTCs and CL either.

That said, the break building standard probably has gone up, because the way it's played the game now breakbuilding is more important than ever. With balls splitting so easily and so early in the frame, if you can't score heavily you won't win enough, simple as that.

Postby vodkadiet

shankly wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Comparisons between eras is meaningless as the tables have been made far more conducive towards breakbuilding.

Exactly this. Balls have changed as well. Also the game is much more attacking these days. Everyone just wants to pot balls. Watching the PTCs, the lower ranked players (probably more so than the top boys, who know when to keep it tight) just go for long pots like nobody's business. They miss it, bust the balls open, opponent clears up.

Also the 00s was when the amount of tournaments took a real dip, wasn't it? Stands to reason people were coming in cold, nervous, etc and not making as many tons. None of this 'practice conditions' matches like in the PTCs and CL either.

Good points. I think the standard is considerably worse now. Safety play is almost non existent in some matches and as you say the pack splits at a touch these days. The problem is tv companies just want big breaks, thus the obsession with century breaks. Maximums now have no meaning at all, and are very boring.

That said, the break building standard probably has gone up, because the way it's played the game now breakbuilding is more important than ever. With balls splitting so easily and so early in the frame, if you can't score heavily you won't win enough, simple as that.

Postby Vallomas

Nice try from Milkins, but I was left quite disappointed by the way he lost the last three frames. He had his chances, especially on frame 10, but he threw them away.

Neil was far from his A game until 3-4, but he proved he has class at the end.