Topic locked

BetVictor Welsh Open Semi Finals Discussion !!!

Postby Skullman

Image Image Image
Monday16th of February ~ Sunday 22nd of February at the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

So down to the weekend and it's two cases of age v youth. We have two of the class of '92, John Higgins and Mark Williams, both multiple World Champions and winners of this event, both looking to regain some form and maybe add another trophy to their cabinet.

And we have two players in their first ranking semi finals, Leicester's Ben Woollaston, whose best result previosuly was winning a PTC event in 2011, and 19 year old Luca Brecel, who talent has been well known for some time and is looking to finally make his big breakthrough.

Will it be the clash of old rivals or will see two new finalists on Sunday?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Semi Finals Discussion !!!

Postby hendry_fan

Well,that young belgian Brecel has had a great time in this tourney,but i,m afraid after this match it,s over cause John Haggis is gonna have a whole lot o fun and spoil his run,show him how it,s dun and send him back to boring,cold,dark n rainy Belgiun. :-D

(Great bit o poetry chucked in there from Hendry_fan!). <laugh> :clap:

I have to say,i really thought that Williams would never win another rankin title,just as i thought,John Haggis and Peter Ebdon would,nt either,but boy has he got a good chance of provin me wrong,he had 2 good chances in 2011 to add to his silverware but blew em,,....

,.... At the Australian Goldfields Open where he lost to Stuart Bingham 8–9

And he lost also just by 1 frame in the Shanghai Masters this time against Mark Selby 9–10

If Higgins were to go on and win this,then he,ll break the record of Welsh open wins,at the mom he ties that record along with Hendry and Ronnie,the three of them have won it 3 times.

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:Well,that young belgian Brecel has had a great time in this tourney,but i,m afraid after this match it,s over cause John Haggis is gonna have a whole lot o fun and spoil his run,show him how it,s dun and send him back to boring,cold,dark n rainy Belgiun. :-D

I have to say,i really thought that Williams would never win another rankin title,just as i thought,John Haggis and Peter Ebdon would,nt either,but boy has he got a good chance of provin me wrong,he had 2 good chances in 2011 to add to his silverware but blew em,,....

And he lost also just by 1 frame in the Shanghai Masters this time against Mark Selby 9–10

If Higgins were to go on and win this,then he,ll break the record of Welsh open wins,at the mom he ties that record along with Hendry and Ronnie,the three of them have won it 3 times.

No, Luca is indeed the one who is gonna send Haggins back to boring, cold, dark and rainy Scotland :wave: Haggins is so inconsistent these days he'll get found out, so far he's had such an easy draw, and he was very lucky he caught a truly rubbish Mags yesterday. Luca will put him in his place and send him packing :clap:

Like CS rightly said, Higgins winning it would be the worst case scenario, but I'm confident he won't.

Postby Ronnie79

This is Higgins event to lose. I think he will have too much for Brecel 2mrw. Willo's record against Higgins is terrible he hasnt beaten him in donkeys years. I think willo will win a tighter second semi and Higgins will beat him on sunday

Postby hendry_fan

Your very inconsistent yourself these days Andre,your predictions used to be pretty good but lately they,ve plunged dramaticaly and you,ve never recovered from the plunge since.
Your,re even catchin up with Snookerfan and that takes a lot!. ;-) :-D

You might predict the odd match here n there correctly these days,just as John produces the odd good show of snooker these days.

Tomorrow,(or should i say,today as it,s just turned 02.20) he,s gonna produce the goods and send that young Belgian punk packin. :wave: :happy:

:happy: John Higgins!. :happy:

Postby Andre147

Fair enough, but may I ask, do you have anything against Luca? Or just some tongue in cheek comments?

If Luca does beat Higgins, wouldn't you like him to win this title very much in the same manner Hunter won his here in 1998?

I know you will probably say you would prefer MJW then, if he makes the Final that is, but I ask again, you don't have anything against Luca, or do you?

Postby Andre147

Ronnie79 wrote:This is Higgins event to lose. I think he will have too much for Brecel 2mrw. Willo's record against Higgins is terrible he hasnt beaten him in donkeys years. I think willo will win a tighter second semi and Higgins will beat him on sunday

No, for me it's definately MJWs tournament to lose now. MJW has by some distance played the best stuff out of the 4, and sory but Higgins has had a very easy draw so far, and if Mags hadn't been so rubbish yesterday Higgins could have easily been sent packing as Higgins himself didn't play much better himself.

Despite MJWs record against him, if he does face Higgins I do think he will beat him this time, and what a wonderful story that would make after some of his heartbreaking losses.

I hope though Higgins doesn't reach that far so we have an MJW v Luca Final <ok>

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 wrote:Fair enough, but may I ask, do you have anything against Luca? Or just some tongue in cheek comments?

If Luca does beat Higgins, wouldn't you like him to win this title very much in the same manner Hunter won his here in 1998?

I know you will probably say you would prefer MJW then, if he makes the Final that is, but I ask again, you don't have anything against Luca, or do you?

Loosen up Andre,i,m takin the mickey a bit. :-D

But in all seriousness,if Brecel wins i won,t be disappointed as it would be great for snooker,it,s high time one o the young guns made a move and started gettin results on a consistent basis and starts to win tourneys.

Higgins will know full well that he won,t get much more better opportunities than this to add yet another title to the many he already has,so he,s gonna be right up for this one.
Experience is also a great weapon he has that he can take into this semi-final,he,s been in countless semis throughout his career,unlike Brecel,it,s brand new territory for the young lad and he might feel pressure too much and not be able to deliver.

Gonne be a very intrestin match,i,m really looking forward to it.

Postby renatopt

I haven't been around snooker and SI as much as I wanted for several reasons, but just wanted to say that I am really happy to see Luca finally making a breakthrough performance like this. Ever since that match against Murphy at the 2012 UK Champs, he has been by far my favorite non-top player. And after all that promises, the last couple of years have been kinda frustrating, doing almost nothing of note. And this week, not only did he defeated 3 top-16 players, but he did it from 0-2 against Selby and 0-3 against Walden, showing a tremendous tenacity. Whatever happens against Higgins, he sure proved that he can be the future star we hoped he would become.

Luca :D

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Fair enough, but may I ask, do you have anything against Luca? Or just some tongue in cheek comments?

Loosen up Andre,i,m takin the mickey a bit. :-D

But in all seriousness,if Brecel wins i won,t be disappointed as it would be great for snooker,it,s high time one o the young guns made a move and started gettin results on a consistent basis and starts to win tourneys.

Higgins will know full well that he won,t get much more better opportunities than this to add yet another title to the many he already has,so he,s gonna be right up for this one.
Experience is also a great weapon he has that he can take into this semi-final,he,s been in countless semis throughout his career,unlike Brecel,it,s brand new territory for the young lad and he might feel pressure too much and not be able to deliver.

Gonne be a very intrestin match,i,m really looking forward to it.

Yeah I agree it will be great.

Maybe, just maybe it's my heart speaking louder than my head, thinking Brecel can win it, but I think he can, and one of Brecel's greatest strenghts is that he doesnt panic when being 2 or 3 frames down. He has won many matches in his short career already from behind, and he has proven so again here against Selby when 2-0 down and Walden 3-0 down.

So even if Luca has a short start, say 3-1 down, he wont panic as I said.

One thing is for certain though, Brecel certainly wont see Higgins have a total meltdown like Walden did, because Walden helped massively in Luca winning it. If Higgins finds himself with a good advantage, then it will be up to Luca to up his game I feel.

Postby Jester82

Andre147 wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:Well,that young belgian Brecel has had a great time in this tourney,but i,m afraid after this match it,s over cause John Haggis is gonna have a whole lot o fun and spoil his run,show him how it,s dun and send him back to boring,cold,dark n rainy Belgiun. :-D

No, Luca is indeed the one who is gonna send Haggins back to boring, cold, dark and rainy Scotland :wave: Haggins is so inconsistent these days he'll get found out, so far he's had such an easy draw, and he was very lucky he caught a truly rubbish Mags yesterday. Luca will put him in his place and send him packing :clap:

Like CS rightly said, Higgins winning it would be the worst case scenario, but I'm confident he won't.

Higgins gonna bring the Pretzel down on any account I am afraid...this young schoolboy Pretzel deserves a good old fashioned spanking Higgins gonna provide...no chance for the pomme de terre visage from Belgium...

Postby Andre147

Jester82 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Higgins gonna bring the Pretzel down on any account I am afraid...this young schoolboy Pretzel deserves a good old fashioned spanking Higgins gonna provide...no chance for the pomme de terre visage from Belgium...

pmsl
Last edited by Andre147 on 21 Feb 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

dexterdan7 wrote:From my humble opinion, Mark Williams definitely gonna enter into FINAL , and Luca will win it against John Higgins, is a close match.

Hopefully that happens, MJW v Luca will indeed be a great one.

Postby Skullman

Snooker time.

Mixed feelings. Have always liked Higgins as he was one of the first players I'd seen, and I always hoped he'd refind some form. But I'd also like Luca(or someone) to break through soon.