Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final Discussion !!!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

masterdoctorgenius wrote:class of 92 won the last two welsh open. next year hopefully MJW

if this tournaments shows one thing then never say never.

That won't happen unfortunately :-( I think MJW is finished :-(

I can't see him win something bigger than a PTC in the future

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:Will be interesting to see how Higgins will be playing now for the rest of the season, especially in the WC.
Skull I think said that he would play against Hawkins in the second round now (if both win of course).

That's a good draw for him, considering how poorly Hawkins has been playing recently. Higgins could reach the quarters this year and with a little bit luck maybe even the semis but for more it won't be enough I think.

The seedings can still change massively. The PTC final winner will get 100k, even Marco Fu could still rise to NO5 for example.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:class of 92 won the last two welsh open. next year hopefully MJW

thats sad. beat qualtiy opponents in fu and trum till the SF. 18 rankers a bit too less. measured by his talent he should have won more than john in all honesty. minimum one WC more. after 2003 at his peak he couldnt win any major anymore. dont know what happened.

Postby mantorok

masterdoctorgenius wrote:if this tournament shows one thing then never say never.

It's shown that the top players are getting in a huff about the new formats, it's a shame because any normal person would relish the extra match practice and variety of opponents, but not this spoilt lot, Hearn is trying to keep money in their pockets and most of them moan. If they embraced these changes then the top players would be raising the standard and cleaning up, but they're always thinking in the back of their minds "I shouldn't even be playing these matches as I'm a top 16 player".

Wake up and smell the coffee I say.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

thats sad. beat qualtiy opponents in fu and trum till the SF. 18 rankers a bit too less. measured by his talent he should have won more than john in all honesty. minimum one WC more. after 2003 at his peak he couldnt win any major anymore. dont know what happened.

Yes fully agree with you, he should have won a lot more after 2003, but after that only won 2 or 3 titles more, such a shame.

I still think though, and been saying this for a long time, that MJWs best chance of ever winning another ranker will come at an overseas event, say Shanghai Masters or a Wuxi Classic. He has a terrific record in overseas tournaments, especially in China, so if he has a nice draw then he could win one. Plus he doesnt have the kind of pressure that the UK tournaments provide for players like him.

Maybe he'll indeed will only win a PTC and nothing else, but like I say an overseas event his best chance of a 19th ranker.
Last edited by Andre147 on 22 Feb 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:By the way @the Rocket:

You're predictions for this final were spot on unfortunately. It turned out exactly as you said yesterday.

sory, what did he say exactly?

Postby TheRocket

You're predictions for this final were spot on unfortunately. It turned out exactly as you said yesterday.

I didn't want a final like that obviously but I was just realistic, having seen Woollaston choking like hell against MJW and struggled heavily to close out the match. It was obvious that the choking would be even heavier in the final.

I just saw a couple of frames but it was so characteristic. He plays a very good split, opens up the reds but then misses the black off it's spot. In the eight frame he was like 50 points ahead but then misses a red.

And when Higgins somehow won the eigth frame with a fluke I knew, that this match was definitely over.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:

I didn't want a final like that obviously but I was just realistic, having seen Woollaston choking like hell against MJW and struggled heavily to close out the match. It was obvious that the choking would be even heavier in the final.

I just saw a couple of frames but it was so characteristic. He plays a very good split, opens up the reds but then misses the black off it's spot. In the eight frame he was like 50 points ahead but then misses a red.

And when Higgins somehow won the eigth frame with a fluke I knew, that this match was definitely over.

lol I knew it was over before it even started <laugh> Higgins would have needed to have a major meltdown to lose that Final. The 8th frame was big yes, but like I said in another page even if Ben had made it 4-4, the outcome would still be the same, maybe closer, say 9-6 for instance.

Postby TheRocket

Probably yes but I still gave Woollaston a minor chance, had he somehow kept up with Higgins as long as possible. And 4:4 would have been a great motivation for him after being 2:4 behind. But yeah. Towards the end Woollaston would have choked anyway (when the finishing line comes closer) and Higgins would have won for sure.

Postby hendry_fan

YES,YESS,YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!.

:cracker: Crackin stuff fae good auld John Higgins!!.

He did,nt half prove me and many others wrong,i was one of the culprits who really thought he,d never ever win a rankin tourney again.

Higgins has surprised us time and time again,just when you think he,s gone,he comes back and shows us all why he,s one of the greatest ever.

I have a sneaky feelin that Ronnie has spured him on to getting back on track,Watchin Ronnie addin silverware must have gotten to him,as he was,nt far off Ronnies tourney wins at one point,then suddenly Ronnie found and maintained some form the last few years and managed to add a good few more trophys to the many he already had.

It,s gonna be very intrestin to see what John serves up the rest of this season and future,this win could spark off new,more motivation and hunger,or it might be a one off and he might fall back and start playin the way he did the last few years,we,ll just have to wait n see what happens.

This win also gives him the record for the most Welsh open wins,he,s now kicked both Hendry and Ronnie off that throne!.

:win: Very well done John!,brilliant stuff,the Welsh Open winner for a record breakin 4th time!. :win:

This win puts him back right on track,a few more titles please John!.

Higgins= Ranking event finals: 41 (26 titles, 15 runner-ups)

Ronnie= Ranking event finals: 39 (27 titles, 12 runner-ups)

Postby Wildey

no disrespect to Ben Woollaston but his inclusion in a final says it all about the Quality this week.

Ben is one of thoes players that can find a way of losing from any position and has done it many times even yesterday he did his best to loose but managed to just about do enough.

i did not expect much from the final and it delivered what i thought.

Postby TheRocket

hendryfan, in terms of ranking titles John Higgins is close to Ronnie O'Sullivan and Steve Davis as well but what really counts are the three majors (triple crown) and in that department O'Sullivan and Davis are clearly ahead (15 vs 9).

Postby TheRocket

But don't get me wrong. It's good for John that he finally won a ranker again. No doubt about that. Good to see him playing decent stuff again. But as long as he doesn't even get close to winning one of the triple crown trophies again, I can't really say, he's back on track, let alone being the old John again.

Postby hendry_fan

TheRocket wrote:hendryfan, in terms of ranking titles John Higgins is close to Ronnie O'Sullivan and Steve Davis as well but what really counts are the three majors (triple crown) and in that department O'Sullivan and Davis are clearly ahead (15 vs 9).

I know what your sayin,but any ranking tournament win deserves respect,just like the BIG 3,it gets added to the all important CV.

I,m not gettin excited at all as this win could be a one off and he might never win another ranker again,but on the other hand,as i said,this could really spur him on and he could start producin the goods again more consistantly and start to add even more silverware.

He,s still got a bit to go to catch up with Ronnies tally,as far as the three majors are concerned,but this is a start,a few months,seasons ago,myself,like many others thought his time was up.

It,s great to see him playin well again,i hope he can produce this form more often. <ok>

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Whats more likely to happen THIS wc?

higgins winning his 5th wc or ronnie his 6th?

Do you think that's even up for debate? <doh>

Of course it's Ronnie, in my view Higgins will never win the WC again. You can go on about "never write him off, blah blah blah", but that's how I see it.

Postby mantorok

AC or LT? wrote:Anyone who thinks Higgins is capable of winning a worlds is deluded.

Might as well take the 5000/1 odds on Davis or the 50000/1 odds on Saif you'd be more likely to profit.

Using this tournament to gauge a players ability to win the WC.....

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Muppet147

Easy. I doubt Higgins will even get to the quarter final stage.

Ronnie will sweep all before him to draw level with Davis and Reardon on six titles.

Postby AC or LT?

Muppet147 wrote:

Easy. I doubt Higgins will even get to the quarter final stage.

Ronnie will sweep all before him to draw level with Davis and Reardon on six titles.

Ahmed Saif will come out of nowhere to claim the title.

Postby Dan-cat

'Why I'm backing my old rival John Higgins to rediscover his golden touch'

'I have a sneaky feeling John Higgins is going to be a contender again this year. He played really well against Mark Allen yesterday, and was unfortunate to lose 6-4 in the first round of the Masters. He compiled three centuries, and could easily have made a 147 in that match. He is too good a player not to be going further than he has been in competitions. This guy is the real deal. He really is the players's professional.

I'm sure if you asked most professionals who is the best player they have seen, many will say John Higgins. His all-round game is just so strong. I can't work out why he has been struggling so much. It seems odd.That is why I'm tipping him for some more victories in tournaments in the near future. Some will say John Higgins is the greatest of all-time, and some will say Stephen Hendry.

It all depends on what takes your fancy, and which style most people appreciate, but both are awesome players, true greats of the game.'

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ro ... 44840.html

I wonder if John read this. It's incredible how powerful a few words of encouragement can be to a colleague or a friend.

Postby mantorok

Dan-cat wrote:'Why I'm backing my old rival John Higgins to rediscover his golden touch'

'I have a sneaky feeling John Higgins is going to be a contender again this year. He played really well against Mark Allen yesterday, and was unfortunate to lose 6-4 in the first round of the Masters. He compiled three centuries, and could easily have made a 147 in that match. He is too good a player not to be going further than he has been in competitions. This guy is the real deal. He really is the players's professional.

I'm sure if you asked most professionals who is the best player they have seen, many will say John Higgins. His all-round game is just so strong. I can't work out why he has been struggling so much. It seems odd.That is why I'm tipping him for some more victories in tournaments in the near future. Some will say John Higgins is the greatest of all-time, and some will say Stephen Hendry.

It all depends on what takes your fancy, and which style most people appreciate, but both are awesome players, true greats of the game.'

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ro ... 44840.html

I wonder if John read this. It's incredible how powerful a few words of encouragement can be to a colleague or a friend.

Something Ronnie got right. A bit more on the mark than claiming Ali Carter and Stephen Maguire were going to be world champions...

Postby Dan-cat

mantorok wrote:
Something Ronnie got right. A bit more on the mark than claiming Ali Carter and Stephen Maguire were going to be world champions...

Hahaha indeed. I always wondered if saying that was a bit of gamesmanship on Ronnie's part, creating that expectation is bound to add pressure. When he said that Maguire could dominate the game for 10 years, did he really mean it or was it psychological warfare? If it was, it worked!