Post a reply

Re: Reanne Evans watch

Postby Roland

darloboy wrote:
Roland wrote:It's called promoting the event by inviting star names and growing the game by inviting nominations from those countries.

Darloboy your views on Reanne and the amateurs come across as ignorant if you're not simply trolling to get a response.

Anyway this is going off topic, stick to Reanne

I'm not trolling like I said above the amateurs via Q school deserve to be there if there is places to be filled. When I tweeted a pro yesterday about his draw, and he confessed he knew little or nothing about his opponent, then it just feels as if it is devaluing it slightly.

My views on Reanne remain, however I will be there in person when she is playing Ken, so I may get a pleasant surprise.

Have you ever seen her play? Dismissing her as on a par with the "laughing stock of the tour" Ahmed Saif and then bringing up her losing to a teenage Chinese wildcard (who none of the pros would like to draw in a wildcard round) and moaning about it is to completely misunderstand her plight as flag bearer for the women's game and the pressure of being a role model that comes with it.

Reanne became the first female player to qualify to a venue in Wuxi and it was big news and a big chance to get noticed. But she was stuck on a slot where UK viewers would have to be up in the early hours to watch, and she was handed the indignity of a wildcard round which was drawn out of a hat, when whoever did the wildcard draw could've left her name out and no one would be any the wiser.

As for Q School list players filling spots in the World Championship, those amateur players you don't rate, I don't agree. I think all ex-world champions should be invited as they do at Augusta, and the gesture of handing invites to those countries who staged a Euro Tour event is a nice one and more meaningful that a top up list. Sure some will lose heavily but if they get media coverage in their home nation then all the better for the game.

Postby Wildey

Roland wrote:Makes me sick seeing tweets and comments disrespecting Reanne and criticising her inclusion in the event. As it happens she's got a tough draw in Ken Doherty who would be favourite against pretty much all the players ranked outside the top 64 so although I'd love her to shove it to the chauvinists I think she'll be hard pressed to win her first match. I'll be rooting for her all the way and hope she grabs one of the Q School spots this time around because she's plenty good enough to get on tour.

I Think Reanne has real talent and her one and only Best of 19 match she lost 10-6 to Sam Baird which is no disgrace but fact is at this level of competition she will struggle because she plays against Women more than Men and its not helpful being top dog in a weak pool of players.

Personally i think it would benefit her and Women's Snooker if she did not enter Women's Events.

Theres nothing to suggest Women cant Beat Men but going from 1 to another they will be found wanting against the Best Amateur players never mind lower rank Pros.

Postby kolompar

I agree with Darlo, 3 frames is the most I can see Reanne win.
The Euro Tour host wild card makes sense, it's a shame there is no Polish player then. Poland has some proper players. Kacper Filipiak actually would have qualified from the Q school rankings too.
Though it is a bit stupid to give these wild cards to countries which already have a tournament. That would mean they are already established snooker countries, wouldn't it.
Still no explanation how Ong Jia Jun got a wild card? <laugh>

Postby darloboy

Wildey wrote:
Roland wrote:Makes me sick seeing tweets and comments disrespecting Reanne and criticising her inclusion in the event. As it happens she's got a tough draw in Ken Doherty who would be favourite against pretty much all the players ranked outside the top 64 so although I'd love her to shove it to the chauvinists I think she'll be hard pressed to win her first match. I'll be rooting for her all the way and hope she grabs one of the Q School spots this time around because she's plenty good enough to get on tour.

I Think Reanne has real talent and her one and only Best of 19 match she lost 10-6 to Sam Baird which is no disgrace but fact is at this level of competition she will struggle because she plays against Women more than Men and its not helpful being top dog in a weak pool of players.

Personally i think it would benefit her and Women's Snooker if she did not enter Women's Events.

Theres nothing to suggest Women cant Beat Men but going from 1 to another they will be found wanting against the Best Amateur players never mind lower rank Pros.

Well said and well structured point :hatoff:

Postby OoNebsoO

I thought she did excellent, and we should've seen a decider last night. But alas...

As I noticed (and mentioned that yesterday), her big problem seem to be escaping the snookers. Get some practice time with McManus, pronto! :)

Postby SnookerFan

Who shall we watch now Reanne Evans is out?

Shall we watch Ken now? And then watch whoever knocks him out?

By the end of the tournament, we'll be officially watching the World Champion.

Postby armchair de critique

SnookerFan wrote:Who shall we watch now Reanne Evans is out?

Shall we watch Ken now? And then watch whoever knocks him out?

By the end of the tournament, we'll be officially watching the World Champion.

that's a fine idea, in effect we will always have a WATCH thread... :-) :hankey: :-)

Postby PoolBoy

Some folk do that in the FA Cup! 'The Road To Wembley'!
Start watching a club in the first (or preliminary) qualifying round and then continue to watch the subsequent winning team all the way to the final!
Ken has 7 more rounds to negotiate to become world champ!

You could even take it further and look at Q-School from last summer! They had 5 rounds to get through before securing a place on this season's tour. So, technically, if I or anybody, has £600 entry-money to throw away, we could enter Q-School and be only 13 wins away from being World Champion!

Using Chris Melling as an example (with the naming of Q-School rounds being indicative)

Q-School (last 32) Chris Melling 4-0 Hassan Vaizie
Q-School (last 16) Chris Melling 4-0 Chris Fortey
Q-School (quarter) Chris Melling 4-3 Daniel Wells
Q-School (semi) Chris Melling 4-1 Chen Zhe
Q-School (final) Chris Melling 4-3 Duane Jones
World Qualifier (quarter) Chris Melling 1-10 Li Hang
World Qualifier (semi) Li Hang v ?
World Qualifier (final)
World Last 32
World Last 16
World Quarter
World Semi
World Final

Go on Snookerfan - don't say you're not tempted!!!

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:Some folk do that in the FA Cup! 'The Road To Wembley'!
Start watching a club in the first (or preliminary) qualifying round and then continue to watch the subsequent winning team all the way to the final!
Ken has 7 more rounds to negotiate to become world champ!

You could even take it further and look at Q-School from last summer! They had 5 rounds to get through before securing a place on this season's tour. So, technically, if I or anybody, has £600 entry-money to throw away, we could enter Q-School and be only 13 wins away from being World Champion!

Using Chris Melling as an example (with the naming of Q-School rounds being indicative)

Q-School (last 32) Chris Melling 4-0 Hassan Vaizie
Q-School (last 16) Chris Melling 4-0 Chris Fortey
Q-School (quarter) Chris Melling 4-3 Daniel Wells
Q-School (semi) Chris Melling 4-1 Chen Zhe
Q-School (final) Chris Melling 4-3 Duane Jones
World Qualifier (quarter) Chris Melling 1-10 Li Hang
World Qualifier (semi) Li Hang v ?
World Qualifier (final)
World Last 32
World Last 16
World Quarter
World Semi
World Final

Go on Snookerfan - don't say you're not tempted!!!

rofl Good idea. :spot on:

Maybe next year, when I have time to prepare properly.

Postby PoolBoy

We could enter for a laugh and just get 'minced' at the bar! We'd maybe get drawn together and when you win 4-0, people would be thinking, "okay, who's this guy just cruising through the first round"!
Then when you lose we could just keep drinking and talk fondly of Michaela!
I'm sure it's not what Barry had in mind, but if hundreds of us punters entered, one of us could make the tour!

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:We could enter for a laugh and just get 'minced' at the bar! We'd maybe get drawn together and when you win 4-0, people would be thinking, "okay, who's this guy just cruising through the first round"!
I'm sure it's not what Barry had in mind, but if hundreds of us punters entered, one of us could make the tour!

You had to mention Michaela. :sad:

Postby AC or LT?

PoolBoy wrote:We could enter for a laugh and just get 'minced' at the bar! We'd maybe get drawn together and when you win 4-0, people would be thinking, "okay, who's this guy just cruising through the first round"!

As someone who can barely string together a 10 break I've always thought about entering Q School for a laugh, but not this year. Thankfully they've put the price high enough (£600) to discourage nutters like me. Maybe if I can get some decent practice in between now and next summer.

I'm well aware I'd become the future version of Ahmed Saif if I managed to qualify but it'd be a laugh right? Maybe if you guys paid my entry fee....

In all seriousness does anyone think a benevolent fund to pay people's entry fees to q school could work?

Postby TheSaviour

Wildey wrote:

Yes, that´s right.
All we can do is to respect the calendar. And PERHAPS the rankings also. There will always be just a certain amount of tournaments. Player can only give his / her best shot there. Regardless if a player has a real talent or not. It is same with the books; we can only respect what reads in there. Because that´s the way it is. So in a way history is right and we must rescpect it.

Glad that Jimmy found his form NOW! 10-3 against James Wattana, that´s a really impressing and a great start. Wattana is not just somebody, he has made three 147s and didn´t he reached numerous quarters / semis during his time.

Postby AC or LT?

gcjdavid wrote:Let the best member of this forum go to Q School, like Roland.

Oh we could, you know, determine whos the best member in the time honoured fashion; a snooker tournament. 32 spaces, £5 a player plus table time, 64 spaces - £10 a player, 128 spaces £5 a player ( plus table time - either split or loser pays) and the winner gets to go to Q School? Could work?

Postby TheSaviour

I certainly hope Reanne will keep up competing with this main tour in the future also. She just awesome player to watch. Never saw quite anything like that before. She also looks quite funny in a good way when she is aiming / hitting the cue ball.. Different. Well the sex is different also for a starter lol. There´s probably not much experts could teach to her technical-wise. Just personally can´t agree much with many of her shot-selections. But that just a good thing. This is one those things when "someone should mention something to Shaun about the colour of his shoes" rofl

Postby randam05

AC or LT? wrote:
gcjdavid wrote:Let the best member of this forum go to Q School, like Roland.

Oh we could, you know, determine whos the best member in the time honoured fashion; a snooker tournament. 32 spaces, £5 a player plus table time, 64 spaces - £10 a player, 128 spaces £5 a player ( plus table time - either split or loser pays) and the winner gets to go to Q School? Could work?

Sounds awesome :clap:

Postby snooker_loopy

I wish there will be more nice looking women in top pro snooker. Miss Evans will lead the way for more hot women in snooker. :kiss:

And it's good for the sport to have more women. Why should men dominate snooker? :-)

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05s3nmr

Reanne and Michaela Tabb on Woman's Hour Starting at about 4min in

:D

I'll give that a listen later.