Post a reply

Who will win the world championship first?

Poll ended at 17 Oct 2023

Yan Bingtao
76%
Ding Junhui
7%
Neither will win it
17%

Total votes : 29

Who will win the world championship first?

Postby Juddernaut88

Out of Yan Bingtao and Ding Junhui who is likely to win the world championship first? Is Yan now the more likely to achieve this after clinching the Masters and still very young at 20? Does Ding have a world title left in him?

Discuss.

Re: Who will win the world championship first?

Postby Prop

I voted Ding. I still think he’ll have another good run without coming up against a performance like Selby’s a few years ago. He’s definitely got it in him.

Postby HustleKing

Went neither.

The longer no Asian has won the WC, the more the pressure will build on their players to deliver one and I don't know any player at present who definitely won't succumb to that pressure

Postby Pink Ball

Re Ding, I don't think it's meant to be. Running afoul of the eventual champion in four of the last five World Championships underlines my bad feeling about it.

You can never be certain that a player is going to win the World Championship, but let's just say I'm as sure as someone can be that Yan Bingtao will one day win it. I doubt he'll win it this year, but I think he's a dark horse for the title all the same.

Postby SnookerFan

It's tempting to rush in and say Yan after his performance at The Masters. It was stunning.

But he'll be a bigger scalp now he's won a 'triple crown' event. More people will be gunning for him. So I'd be wary of the risk of jumping in and putting too much pressure on him too soon. I'd like to think he will win it, and would love to see some youngster take The Crucible. Something that hasn't happened for yonks. But I also wonder if he'll need more experience first.

Saying all that, I've got my doubts that Ding will ever win it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

The best thing that could happen to snooker right now is either Yan or Ding winning the World Championship. I believe they both are able to do it but I'd say Yan is probably most likely.

Postby Reg Varney

Unfortunately I don't think Ding will ever win it now.

Bingtao has got years on his side. Even if he doesn't win it within the next five years, by the time he turns 30, Lisowski and Wilson will then be 39, Trump will be 41, Selby 47, Robbo 48 and O'Sullivan 55. I find it unfathomable, unless some prodigy shows up on the scene, that he won't win the World title at some point in his career.