Post a reply

Which of these following records will Ronnie break before he retires?

first player to make 1000 centuries
10%
first player to make 15 maximum breaks
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 6 UK titles
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 28 ranking titles
11%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 6 Masters titles
11%
tie Steve Davis's 6 World titles
9%
tie Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
6%
overtake Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
3%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 18 majors
9%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 36 ranking titles
9%
Oldest ranking event winner in snooker history
6%
Oldest World Champion in snooker history
6%

Total votes : 234

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I'm quite sure now Ronnie will overtake Davis's 28 ranking titles.

Yeah, at most I can see him reach 30 rankers, 31 maybe if he really and truly wants it. But surpass Hendry's 36 or even tie that seems out of reach for me.

I think Ronnie can become the first man to win 50 rankers, maybe even a hundred, who knows?

<laugh> Very optimistic CS <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I'm quite sure now Ronnie will overtake Davis's 28 ranking titles.

Yeah, at most I can see him reach 30 rankers, 31 maybe if he really and truly wants it. But surpass Hendry's 36 or even tie that seems out of reach for me.

I think Ronnie can become the first man to win 50 rankers, and who knows, maybe even a hundred is not totally out of the question if he really wants it.

Fact is there are no limits to what this man is capable of achieving.

EDIT: Sorry for posting the same thing twice.

Postby Cannonball

He could break all the records. He's got at least 5 more good years left. He'd only need to win two ranking events a year to equal the rankers record. That's only the worlds + one other; hardly difficult for a man of his ability. The worlds are nailed on for the next five years, so that's 10 worlds for the rocket.

Really, the question is wrong. The question should be, which records does Ronnie want to break. He's not interested in the rankers record, he's interested in the number of Worlds, Masters and UK titles. He's said as much. If he was interested in rankers, etc, he'd enter more tournaments, which he won't. But I still think he's got a good chance of breaking all the records, even if he doesn't intend to.
Last edited by Cannonball on 03 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

I think Ronnie can become the first man to win 50 rankers, and who knows, maybe even a hundred is not totally out of the question if he really wants it.

I think he can win 300 rankers, 15 Masters, 15 UK's, and 20 worlds, make 10,000 centuries, and 200 maximums if he really wants it. He could even make a maximum with the cue placed between his butt cheeks if he wanted, providing World Snooker allow him to strip naked for a match.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

I think he can win 300 rankers, 15 Masters, 15 UK's, and 20 worlds, make 10,000 centuries, and 200 maximums if he really wants it. He could even make a maximum with the cue placed between his butt cheeks if he wanted, providing World Snooker allow him to strip naked for a match.

rofl pmsl :zzz: :zzz:

Postby Cloud Strife

Trumpster wrote:He could break all the records. He's got at least 5 more good years left. He'd only need to win two ranking events a year to equal the rankers record. That's only the worlds + one other; hardly difficult for a man of his ability.

The thing is there is nobody around to challenge him, at the moment. The likes of Robbo and Selby are approaching their 30s and will be going into decline themselves within the next 2-3 years.

That leaves the likes of Trump and Ding as Ronnie's only rivals in the next 10 years, unless some amazingly talented kid emerges out of China, Siberia or India.

Postby vodkadiet

There are 2 things in snooker worse than O'Sullivan; one is Dennis Taylor commentating, and the other is all of O'Sullivan's hangers on, fanboys, and those living their lives through him. A special mention goes to all those losers following him on Twitter.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

pmsl

That would still be considered an underachievement for someone of Ronnie's ability.

Postby Cannonball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Trumpster wrote:He could break all the records. He's got at least 5 more good years left. He'd only need to win two ranking events a year to equal the rankers record. That's only the worlds + one other; hardly difficult for a man of his ability.

The thing is there is nobody around to challenge him, at the moment. The likes of Robbo and Selby are approaching their 30s and will be going into decline themselves within the next 2-3 years.

That leaves the likes of Trump and Ding as Ronnie's only rivals in the next 10 years, unless some amazingly talented kid emerges out of China, Siberia or India.

There are some Chinese kids coming, that Sonny has referred to in posts. I agree with you about Judd, Allen, etc. I will never write Selby off; he's got the balls to play well for a long time.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:

Don't think Selby and Robbo will be in decline that early CS, in the next 5 or 6 years maybe but not that early, they will still be challenging for Majors.

Postby Cannonball

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

pmsl

That would still be considered an underachievement for someone of Ronnie's ability.

He's already nabbed the ONLY record that matters; first genius of snooker. Given to him by the past masters. Never owned by Hendry or anyone else. Clean as a whistle, no mucky paws on that one, except :bowdown: Ronnie's.

Postby vodkadiet

Trumpster

I assume you are related to Harry H. Corbett's/Leonard Rossiter's lovechild in some way?!! If not, you are one very sad individual.

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:Trumpster

I assume you are related to Harry H. Corbett's/Leonard Rossiter's lovechild in some way?!! If not, you are one very sad individual.

I'd rather be related to him than be a idiot jockey! rofl

Postby Cannonball

Trumpster wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Trumpster

I'd rather be related to him than than be a turd tosser! rofl

Postby Sickpotter

Trumpster wrote:He's already nabbed the ONLY record that matters; first genius of snooker. Given to him by the past masters. Never owned by Hendry or anyone else. Clean as a whistle, no mucky paws on that one, except :bowdown: Ronnie's.

Sorry, Alex Higgins beat him to it .

Just about every top player or WC winner has been referred to as a "genius" by the past masters/commentators, the title is overused.

More appropriate than genius would be idiot savant, most of what people call genius appears when the player goes on auto-pilot and doesn't think too much.

Not thinking is not typically a hallmark of a genius ;-)

Postby vodkadiet

If anyone was a genius it was Alex Higgins(or Alec Higgins as JV would say). Who else could play like he did when completely drunk?

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:

Ronnie is on 26 at best he will play in 5 Rankers a season so with that in Mind he might reach 50 when hes 50.

in that time his eysight might fail him or other players start to realize he gives them plenty of chances and starts taking some

Postby Roland

Cloud Strife wrote:

They won't be going into decline in the next 2-3 years! Haha

Postby NNear

I wouldn't be surprised if Selby did start declining within the next 3 or so years because his style is exhausting, especially when not backed up by lethal break-building. He's got an iffy record in finals at the best of times when it comes to facing off against other elite players.

Postby edwards2000

I'd not be so sure of that, Roland. Robertson, being the Hendry-type player, may very well fall off the radar once the long pots start drying up (and they will). And all players generally succumb to age in their late 20s. Selby should fare better than Robertson, but I wouldn't be surprised if both of them were out of the running in 3 years time.

Postby NNear

Yep, that could certainly happen.

Nothing is guaranteed. Sounds obvious to say but whatever, it's worth repeating.

Postby Skullman

Personally I think Robbo's just reaching his peak. He still seems to be getting better and I think part of it is because he's a late starter (I think he started playing snooker when he was 13-15(not sure when exactly but somewhere in that range). Plus Robbo definitely isn't as aggressive as Hendry who still played like he was in 20s when he was in his 40s.

Postby Cloud Strife

Skullman wrote:Personally I think Robbo's just reaching his peak. He still seems to be getting better and I think part of it is because he's a late starter (I think he started playing snooker when he was 13-15(not sure when exactly but somewhere in that range). Plus Robbo definitely isn't as aggressive as Hendry who still played like he was in 20s when he was in his 40s.

Hendry's stubbornness got the better of him, Robbo on the other hand seems like the sort of person who would be willing to change his game and adapt. Decline can certainly hit a player at any time though, so I wouldn't be so sure about Robertson.

Postby Andy Spark

There is a lot of talk of "genius" here. Has anybody read Matthew Syed's "Bounce"? He contends that the concepts of "genius" and "talent" are actually just myths, he has a point I think.

On the question of when Ronnie's decline will set in, then according to the theory that used to be held by "wise men" like Clive Everton, Hendon etc it was around five years ago. If Ronnie doesn't actually begin to decline almost immediately then expect Clive Everton and co to gradually distance themselves from their own supposition by inferring that it was a view held by most members of the public too, that's how snooker journalism works.

Postby boris_the_butcher

Andy Spark wrote:There is a lot of talk of "genius" here. Has anybody read Matthew Syed's "Bounce"? He contends that the concepts of "genius" and "talent" are actually just myths, he has a point I think.

On the question of when Ronnie's decline will set in, then according to the theory that used to be held by "wise men" like Clive Everton, Hendon etc it was around five years ago. If Ronnie doesn't actually begin to decline almost immediately then expect Clive Everton and co to gradually distance themselves from their own supposition by inferring that it was a view held by most members of the public too, that's how snooker journalism works.

He said that Andy Murray would find it harder to win a slam after his gold medal at 2012 than before to to increased pressure. Of course he was correct. <laugh>

Postby boris_the_butcher

boris_the_butcher wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:There is a lot of talk of "genius" here. Has anybody read Matthew Syed's "Bounce"? He contends that the concepts of "genius" and "talent" are actually just myths, he has a point I think.

He said that Andy Murray would find it harder to win a slam after his gold medal at 2012 than before due to increased pressure. Of course he was correct. <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Ronnie was definately on decline especially after 2009 when his long game was gone and he couldn't get decent results, and on pressure situtions he just couldn't handle them and missed many match winning opportunities. But then Steve Peters came around and he found a diferent way to approach the game, not getting upset at all if he didn't play his best in a match and his temperament is way better now, so you could say 2009-2011 period was his period of decline but then in 2012 he rediscovered good form again so honestly I don't know when his next decline, and most likely definitive, will occur. We can safely say it will when he reaches 40 but of course that's not an exact figure that when every player reaches 40 he'll start a decline, and Ronnie has defied all odds in recent times and could have at least another 3 or 4 very good years if he truly wants to, because a large part of his game is how much he really wants to continue winning titles and pursuing records, mostly Hendry's like World Titles, Masters and UKs, number of total Majors won, most centuries, that sort of thing. His season management has definately been helpful for him because he only plays in the tourneys he really wants to and usually does well in those he enters. Mentally he is fresher than most players, and that helps him a lot.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Ronnie was definately on decline especially after 2009 when his long game was gone and he couldn't get decent results, and on pressure situtions he just couldn't handle them and missed many match winning opportunities. But then Steve Peters came around and he found a diferent way to approach the game, not getting upset at all if he didn't play his best in a match and his temperament is way better now, so you could say 2009-2011 period was his period of decline but then in 2012 he rediscovered good form again so honestly I don't know when his next decline, and most likely definitive, will occur. We can safely say it will when he reaches 40 but of course that's not an exact figure that when every player reaches 40 he'll start a decline, and Ronnie has defied all odds in recent times and could have at least another 3 or 4 very good years if he truly wants to, because a large part of his game is how much he really wants to continue winning titles and pursuing records, mostly Hendry's like World Titles, Masters and UKs, number of total Majors won, most centuries, that sort of thing. His season management has definately been helpful for him because he only plays in the tourneys he really wants to and usually does well in those he enters. Mentally he is fresher than most players, and that helps him a lot.

A question of semantics I suppose but I think there is a clear difference between "decline" and "lack of form". "Decline" I believe is the natural and irretrievable age related decline that has all the normal hallmarks of age related decline we have come to recognise from the likes of Hendry, Davis etc. In that sense I don't think he was on the decline after 2009, he just had a drop in form, as was noted by Everton, his performances and demeanor were so odd at the time they defied normal categorisation.

How much Ronnie really wants it, good point, it's an important factor, I don't really know the answer, but I do know that he really missed the buzz and discipline of tournament play during his sabbatical. We might well see him carry on playing his reduced schedule until he drops off the tour in spite of his misgivings about playing through decline.

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

A question of semantics I suppose but I think there is a clear difference between "decline" and "lack of form". "Decline" I believe is the natural and irretrievable age related decline that has all the normal hallmarks of age related decline we have come to recognise from the likes of Hendry, Davis etc. In that sense I don't think he was on the decline after 2009, he just had a drop in form, as was noted by Everton, his performances and demeanor were so odd at the time they defied normal categorisation.

How much Ronnie really wants it, good point, it's an important factor, I don't really know the answer, but I do know that he really missed the buzz and discipline of tournament play during his sabbatical. We might well see him carry on playing his reduced schedule until he drops off the tour in spite of his misgivings about playing through decline.

Another important factor for him and definately helpful are of course next season's money rankings, and for a player like him who only plays in those he really wants to he "just" has to win or reach far in one or two events to remain in the Top 16, and if the money rankings were to start tomorrow he is currently on 4th, mainly due to his Worlds 2013 win, so you get the picture... Some argue that is not fair, for instance a player could win 3 regular rankers in a season and another winning just the Worlds and be placed far higher in tha rankings given the masive difference in prize money won, but well that's the reward for being World Champ and that's the hardest tournament to win so it's not that unfair as some say it is, but I do undesrtand their point nevertheless.

And with the flat draw system rankings don't really matter that much, except for Masters and Worlds mostly, but as I said in the money rankings Ronnie has his top 16 place pretty much assured for at least 2 or 3 more seasons.

Postby Wildey

its not a case of being fair its just not what Rankings suppose to represent.

Rankings in every Sport should represent the hard graft of getting out there and playing and not just turning up for some events.

i do think the point allocation is wrong but money takes it to the extreme and against what rankings should be about.

2014 World Championship is worth more points to the Winner than 2013 and over the coming years i could easily see more Money for Chinese Events than the UK Championship.