2%
Ray Reardon
No votes
Joe Davis
4%
other (please specify)
4%

Total votes : 50

Re: Who is the Greatest Player of all Time?

Postby Jester82

I agree with those saying, the way a century is made by a great breakbuilding and how many a player has made is a mark of a high class Snooker player, but the ability to force players into errors by great tactical play and safety shots accounts for higher skills.

Postby edwards2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmuHNDcXLQ&t=2m02s

G'Kar wrote:No dictator, no invader, can hold and imprison a population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once, we will teach it to them again

Postby NNear

Makes far more sense to moderate dodgy posts than to just shut off a whole discussion.

Thank you.

I do have a lot more things I want to contribute to this thread but it can wait till later or tomorrow as I'm busy elsewhere for the moment. So I look forward to having more really good discussion soon enough.

Thanks again for reopening the thread and guys, please keep it respectful...

Postby dwall

It has to be Ronnie.

Hendry started off better but faded. Ronnie get's better as he get's older.

As things stand Hendry has more ranking titles but Ronnie's only ten behind and has played far less seasons than Hendry did before he retired. Ronnie has more 147's and will surely overtake Hendrys century breaks record next season also, being only less than 40 behind

But I think more importantly than that Ronnie can play both right and left handed virtually equally well. Can do thing's on a snooker table others including Hendry can only dream of and can do it all in a far quicker time . He see's snooker shot's way quicker than anyone else and just has this incredible ability to switch on like a light switch and blow opponents away in minutes.

For me there is no debate.

Postby Holden Chinaski

NNear wrote:No love for Fred?

You could probably add Fred Davis, John Spencer, Jimmy White and Mark Williams to my list... But those 7 I mentioned are the cream of the crop in my opinion.

Postby NNear

Fair enough. I think it's a good and respectful chronological list of the titans of Snooker. It's nice that you didn't feel the need to specify their placement but instead have them as a group of undisputed greats.

Postby NNear

Nod to John Pulman perhaps but I admit to knowing less about his legend in comparison to some of the other much older greats such as Joe or Fred Davis or indeed Ray Reardon...

Postby Souvent

NNear wrote:Fair enough. I think it's a good and respectful chronological list of the titans of Snooker. It's nice that you didn't feel the need to specify their placement but instead have them as a group of undisputed greats.

When there are so many variables, it's better to just divide them in tiers. Top tier, second tier, third tier. It's pointless to try and find out who the greatest is when you can't really compare across eras. So I agree with you.

Postby NNear

Souvent wrote:
NNear wrote:Fair enough. I think it's a good and respectful chronological list of the titans of Snooker. It's nice that you didn't feel the need to specify their placement but instead have them as a group of undisputed greats.

When there are so many variables, it's better to just divide them in tiers. Top tier, second tier, third tier. It's pointless to try and find out who the greatest is when you can't really compare across eras. So I agree with you.

You sound like you visit 'other forums'.

The good old famous tier system. I'm a big advocate.

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:There is a 10 year old Chinese lad who will win 15 world titles before he is 40.

Yeah, and his name is Sum Ting Wong.

You sure it's not Ree Ta Did, Chin Kee, Won Kee Ais or Tiga Mo Fer.

You sure it's not Ding Junhui? :redneck:

Postby AC or LT?

Andre147 PGC wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:There is a 10 year old Chinese lad who will win 15 world titles before he is 40.

Yeah, and his name is Sum Ting Wong.

You sure it's not Ree Ta Did, Chin Kee, Won Kee Ais or Tiga Mo Fer.

You sure it's not Ding Junhui? :redneck:

rofl I'd never even noticed that.

What about Wan Ker, Kum Inn and Shi Tsu

Postby edwards2000

Some people will cling on for dear life until Ronnie beats 7 world titles. But Davis, Taylor, Parrott, and most of the professionals I have heard talk, now agree that O'Sullivan is the greatest. Judging by his standard, that was obvious 10 years ago. But people take title hauls way too seriously.

Postby NNear

People already know what it means. They make the assumption that when people say ''greatest of all time'' that it means of ''currently elapsed'' time. You're making a semantic point that almost everybody already gets. Though, I admit it's annoying when people say someone is the best there was and the best there ever will be -- this is a grand old assumption that I'd call irrational, generally.

Postby AC or LT?

NNear wrote:People already know what it means. They make the assumption that when people say ''greatest of all time'' that it means of ''currently elapsed'' time. You're making a semantic point that almost everybody already gets. Though, I admit it's annoying when people say someone is the best there was and the best there ever will be -- this is a grand old assumption that I'd call irrational, generally.

Grammar and clarity of the written word is not semantics, it's the fundamentals of the English language. It should be used in the proper context and this thread should be renamed!!

Postby NNear

edwards2000 wrote:One day, a player of O'Sullivan's talent (or perhaps exceeding it) will be married to the Hendry psyche, and then we'll see some serious rubbish.

Was pondering this the other day.