Post a reply

Who was the weakest player to become World Champion?

Dennis Taylor
6%
Joe Johnson
33%
Graeme Dott
6%
Neil Robertson
36%
Stuart Bingham
18%

Total votes : 33

Weakest player to win the World Championship

Postby Ash147

I know the idea of a weak player winning the World Championship might seem silly, but there have certainly been a few huge surprises over the years. Who do you think was the weakest player to be World Champion? This is post 1980, by the way.
Last edited by Ash147 on 05 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Weakest player to win the World Championship

Postby TheRocket

Has to be Johnson imo. Has done nothing apart from winning the World title in 1986. Ok, he's got to another final the next year but overall he's had pretty much a journeyman career.

The others have either got to more world finals (3 in the case of Dott) and/or won more other titles. Taylor won the Masters, Dott the China Open and he was Runner up in 7 other ranking event finals and Bingham is a 5 time ranking event winner.

So out of the 4 players Johnson is the closest to being a journeyman.

Postby eraserhead

Bingham's good on his day. Scores well and has a decent all round game. Like TheRocket said he's won multiple other events as well. That world championship run wasn't easy, beat Murphy, Trump, Ronnie and Dott. Deserves some credit for that.

I voted for JJ

Postby Ash147

Johnny Bravo wrote:Ash, when did u add Robbo on this list ? :shock: :shock: :shock: :hmmm:
And how could u ?!??? :? :hmmm: <doh>

Robbo is among the top 10 best players of all time, he doesn't belong on this list. :no:

I edited it purely because he’s had the easiest WC draw that I can think of.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ash147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Ash, when did u add Robbo on this list ? :shock: :shock: :shock: :hmmm:

Robbo is among the top 10 best players of all time, he doesn't belong on this list. :no:

That might be true, but he'd beat Johnson and Taylor every time, even if they were to play a million matches.

Postby Ash147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

That might be true, but he'd beat Johnson and Taylor every time, even if they were to play a million matches.

That’s a fair point, and you are correct.

Postby kolompar

Bingham and Johnson are around the same level, but Johnson proved his win was no fluke by getting to the final the next year while Bingham proved his win was. Bingham has only one quarter at the worlds apart from the fluke of 2015. All the others are multiple TC finalists and multiple world finalists apart from Robbo. Bingo won more than some of the others but that's simply because his peak years were in a weak era with a lot more tournaments.

Postby Ash147

kolompar wrote:Bingham and Johnson are around the same level, but Johnson proved his win was no fluke by getting to the final the next year while Bingham proved his win was. Bingham has only one quarter at the worlds apart from the fluke of 2015. All the others are multiple TC finalists and multiple world finalists apart from Robbo. Bingo won more than some of the others but that's simply because his peak years were in a weak era with a lot more tournaments.

:goodpost:

Postby gallantrabbit

kolompar wrote:Bingham and Johnson are around the same level, but Johnson proved his win was no fluke by getting to the final the next year while Bingham proved his win was. Bingham has only one quarter at the worlds apart from the fluke of 2015. All the others are multiple TC finalists and multiple world finalists apart from Robbo. Bingo won more than some of the others but that's simply because his peak years were in a weak era with a lot more tournaments.

Bingham's win was no fluke. He won three huge matches. You don't carry form like that over three sheffield matches. He has carried on well since. Miles in front of Johnson and Taylor.

Postby Iranu

To me, a journeyman is a player who regularly wins a few matches and may be a stalwart of last 32s and top 16s, and occasionally has a good run to a semi or a final.

There's a big gap between that and all-time greats, and Bingham is somewhere in that gap as a top player during this era having broken past the "journeyman barrier".

James Wattana wasn't a journeyman but he wasn't an all-time great either.

Acting like it's one or the other is a bit silly.

Postby Andre147

kolompar wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Who did he beat and who did JJ beat...?

Johnson beat one of the greatest ever in a world final. Bingham beat Shaun Murphy.

And Bingham beat one of the greatest ever too in the Quarter-Finals... go figure...