7%
Steve Davis
No votes
Willie Thorne
No votes

Total votes : 30

Re: Who’s your favourite commentator?

Postby HappyCamper

i voted clive. but feel that some on the list (e.g foulds, mcanus) would be accurately described as summarisers.

i feel it's a distinction that the bbc fail to appreciate.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:Why is Peter Ebdon not on this poll?

He will be, just takes him longer to get there.

Postby Ash147

Cloud Strife wrote:Why is Peter Ebdon not on this poll?

I’ve just done a list of the ‘usual supects’. I left out people like Ebdon and Dale, because they’re not as well established commentators.

Postby Cloud Strife

I voted for Neal Foulds.

I enjoy his dry, deadpan style of humour. It also helps that he's very knowledgeable about the game, and gives credit where credit's due without going over the top with the pontificating.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:I voted for Neal Foulds.

I enjoy his dry, deadpan style of humour. It also helps that he's very knowledgeable about the game, and gives credit where credit's due without going over the top with the pontificating.

excellent post

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:It’s still Everton

Yes, it's still Clive, and he's been on his B game for the last couple of years, in a steady decline, which is still strong enough to beat the rest of the field.

Clive understands what it is to be a broadcaster, and add drama and gravitas. He really is getting on a bit now though and it shows.

Following behind him in the chasing pack - Fouldsy and Angles.

I want to love Hendon more because of his long standing loyalty to Clive (they run snookerscene magazine together) and his second burgeoning career as a challenging playwright. He's a bit dry on the mic though though.

Surprisingly I missed JV when he as absent for a bit. Like a girlfriend you are not sure about and take for granted - on and on it seems to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Yates is just a goldmine of rich vocabulary and facts and butchered metaphors and to this mind he's a very fascinating talker indeed. Those of you who slam him are not listening hard enough, or maybe don't have quite the same love that I do for the English language and mucking about with, pushing it to its limits. He's a master.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Dan-cat wrote:

Yes, it's still Clive, and he's been on his B game for the last couple of years, in a steady decline, which is still strong enough to beat the rest of the field.

Clive understands what it is to be a broadcaster, and add drama and gravitas. He really is getting on a bit now though and it shows.

I want to love Hendon more because of his long standing loyalty to Clive (they run snookerscene magazine together) and his second burgeoning career as a challenging playwright. He's a bit dry on the mic though though.

Surprisingly I missed JV when he as absent for a bit. Like a girlfriend you are not sure about and take for granted - on and on it seems to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Yates is just a goldmine of rich vocabulary and facts and butchered metaphors and to this mind he's a very fascinating talker indeed. Those of you who slam him are not listening hard enough, or maybe don't have quite the same love that I do for the English language and mucking about with, pushing it to its limits. He's a master.

Nicely put. I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Postby Iranu

I too missed JV in his absence, more than I expected to.

Phil Yates says some ridiculous things. He also has a lot of good information and I do appreciate the way he tries to avoid saying the same old thing. Sadly, his hit/miss ratio comes down too far on the miss side.

Also his voice is really irritating.

Postby vodkadiet

Dan-cat wrote:

Very good summation Dan-cat.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:I too missed JV in his absence, more than I expected to.

Phil Yates says some ridiculous things. He also has a lot of good information and I do appreciate the way he tries to avoid saying the same old thing. Sadly, his hit/miss ratio comes down too far on the miss side.

Also his voice is really irritating.

Reminds me of something my ex-girlfriend used to say 'you are occasionally very funny Dan, but you ruin it by watering it down with loads of sh*t jokes.'

Haha. Bit mean. At least I'm offering value of some kind, as with Yates.

I didn't like his voice either at first, I recoiled at it. And then I started to listen.

Postby eraserhead

Iranu wrote:I too missed JV in his absence, more than I expected to.

The thing i like about JV is he compliments other commentators. Don't think I could stand Ebdon and Doherty together but JV brings a nice balance to whoever he's working with. He's also got a good voice for the dramatic moments and making the duller moments feel more dramatic, will never forget Ronnie's 775th ton because he enhances those moments in a way no other snooker commentator does.