Post a reply

Hawkins vs Bingham - Who's A game is better?

Barry Hawkins
63%
Stuart Bingham
38%

Total votes : 24

Re: Hawkins vs Bingham - Who's A game is better?

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:I also think that 2016 puts a question mark against the notion that Ronnie has a particular problem playing at the WC. He was in great shape that year, he just wasn’t tight enough.

I think 2016 was the exception to how he's played for the past five years. It was probably the last time he was really up for it.

Postby eraserhead

Question for the people saying Barry. Do you think he should have won more and will he win more?

I can see Bingham getting another couple of rankers, and his total right now is about right. One dream world title where everything was right with him for 2 weeks and picks up the occasional ranker thanks to a solid game and experience.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:I also think that 2016 puts a question mark against the notion that Ronnie has a particular problem playing at the WC. He was in great shape that year, he just wasn’t tight enough.

I think 2016 was the exception to how he's played for the past five years. It was probably the last time he was really up for it.

Yeah that’s probably true, but even against Carter he played well to try to come back. Did he miscue at a crucial point towards the end or was that this year? He wasn’t DREADFUL (wasn’t great either) in that match, he just couldn’t get any rhythym going, Carter shut him out well.

Against Cahill he played completely the wrong shots most of the time but again with his back against the wall he played some ridiculous stuff to try to get back and was unlucky with a split. He obviously didn’t show enough respect in that match but he still tried to win in the end.

I can’t remember enough about the Ding and Bingham matches to be honest.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Yeah that’s probably true, but even against Carter he played well to try to come back. Did he miscue at a crucial point towards the end or was that this year? He wasn’t DREADFUL (wasn’t great either) in that match, he just couldn’t get any rhythym going, Carter shut him out well.

Against Cahill he played completely the wrong shots most of the time but again with his back against the wall he played some ridiculous stuff to try to get back and was unlucky with a split. He obviously didn’t show enough respect in that match but he still tried to win in the end.

I can’t remember enough about the Ding and Bingham matches to be honest.

I remember the 2014-15 season Ronnie was starting to go back to his old antics, which he had seemed to cut out from 2011-2014. I remember Ronnie started behaving more erratically leading up to the World Championship that season, and it was the first time for a while that he didn't look up for being there. Bingham played well against him, but Ronnie's game wasn't that great, and mentally he looked very weak.

His match against Ding in 2017 was different. I think he was in a much better place mentally that year, but his game wasn't that great. Ding played well, and Ronnie played average.

Postby roy142857

Had to think long and hard about this. Went Hawkins on a pure A game to A game comparison and treating that as 'better'. But could go the other way if 'better' includes the ability to reach for their A game - I just think Bingham could in the past find his more often - so does that count as making it 'better'? I'm not so convinced he can still do so as often ...

Postby Ash147

roy142857 wrote:Had to think long and hard about this. Went Hawkins on a pure A game to A game comparison and treating that as 'better'. But could go the other way if 'better' includes the ability to reach for their A game - I just think Bingham could in the past find his more often - so does that count as making it 'better'? I'm not so convinced he can still do so as often ...

I don't think it should have anything to do with how often each player can find their best game. My thinking when I created this was purely who's A game was better. All other factors aren't relevant.