Post a reply

Would you like to see the Premier League return?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes : 10

Would you like to see the Premier League return?

Postby Ash147

The Premier League ran from 1987 to 2012, making it one of the longest running tournaments in the sports history. It was a tournament that featured the best in the world, producing some high quality matches. It was heavily dominated by Ronnie O'Sullivan, who won 10 titles. Although Hendry and Davis also dominated it in their respective eras, with Hendry winning 6 and Davis 4 titles.

This tournament offered a unique format for snooker, and one that I personally enjoyed. I think it was a shame that it was axed from the tour, whilst tournaments such as the Shootout have remained.

Would you like to see the Premier League make a comeback?

Re: Would you like to see the Premier League return?

Postby Cloud Strife

Yes, but this time make it a straight knockout tournament lasting around a week or so. And make sure to include the shot-clock like before. It should also be given ranking status.

I suspect support for such a tournament will generally be based around what ones feelings are towards Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Lemnas

Ash147 wrote:The Premier League ran from 1987 to 2012, making it one of the longest running tournaments in the sports history. It was a tournament that featured the best in the world, producing some high quality matches. It was heavily dominated by Ronnie O'Sullivan, who won 10 titles. Although Hendry and Davis also dominated it in their respective eras, with Hendry winning 6 and Davis 4 titles.

This tournament offered a unique format for snooker, and one that I personally enjoyed. I think it was a shame that it was axed from the tour, whilst tournaments such as the Shootout have remained.

Have you ever heard of the Championship League? It is virtually the same as the Premier League and I think two events with extremely short formats that still drag out over months would be too much.

Postby Ash147

Lemnas wrote:
Ash147 wrote:The Premier League ran from 1987 to 2012, making it one of the longest running tournaments in the sports history. It was a tournament that featured the best in the world, producing some high quality matches. It was heavily dominated by Ronnie O'Sullivan, who won 10 titles. Although Hendry and Davis also dominated it in their respective eras, with Hendry winning 6 and Davis 4 titles.

Have you ever heard of the Championship League? It is virtually the same as the Premier League and I think two events with extremely short formats that still drag out over months would be too much.

The premier league is different, and it's not televised.

I'd be happy for the premier league to come back as a replacement for the champions league though.

Postby TheSaviour

Yes for sure, because we need the tournaments where only the best 12 or so players are going for it. This has been truly abysmal now. Basically all the heavy favourites are just killing the tourists now. They are also killing the shocks.

I was about to write that Peter Ebdon has absolutely zero prospects against Gary. Ebdon can still dribble the ball as Gary can´t but it doesn´t matter as Peter always finds himself snookered against Gary. Everyone does. And so it was about to be the case also. Just once again really unlucky me to not having the internet access to write it before the match. But luckily didn´t felt that much down as there were 20 similar other results also! Elliot Slessor, Judd Trump, Joe Perry, Mark Allen, Stuart Bingham, Kyren Wilson, Luca Brecel, Ben Woollaston, Liang Wenbo, you name it. Still had some success, so I guess fair play then... :wave:

I don´t know if Peter Ebdon for example is a disgrace as he can´t even threat the best players anymore. I am sure Peter is trying his hardest. He should just be more familiar with the way Gary or Dominic Dale can hide the cue ball. Shot in, shot out. If Dale needs a snooker he makes 10 or even 15 perfect snookers on the trot. Even Ronnie or Murphy at his best can escape only 6 or 7 on the trot, but not more than that. The normal break-building doesn´t count against Gary Wilson. Gary is physically similar to Peter, that´s not an execuse. And nothing wrong with that. Or how Joe Perry can still threat. Peter can´t. Lot´s of similarities but no results to Peter or to Mark King. He also is a one heck of a ball dribble, Mark King. Just without any real results.

If the tourists can raise their game (which I highly doubt), then I wouldn´t miss the Premier League. It was slightly problematic tournament, also. I wouldn´t that much want to see it again. But if just it goes to that, as now surely looks, then it will the case. And us all once again just need to digest it.

And good luck with those people who are ruling themselves out of being any brainy. But having the "class" means they not any nasty either then. Then. Yes. Then. Mysterious player that Anda Zhang. Ruling himself out of having any brain-work going on. Still going for it, claiming to be "classy" person.

Postby Lemnas

Ash147 wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:No room for it now.

There's plenty of room, they could get rid of the Championship League and put the Premier League there instead.

That is like saying World Snooker should get rid of the China Championship and put on another World Open in China. What would be the difference?

Postby Ash147

Lemnas wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

There's plenty of room, they could get rid of the Championship League and put the Premier League there instead.

That is like saying World Snooker should get rid of the China Championship and put on another World Open in China. What would be the difference?

Do you seriously not think that the Premier League was a better event than the Championship League?

Postby Ash147

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Premier League was ten Thursday's and a weekend which is more time than the Championshit League. Unless you go back to the pre-shotclock format of being played over six weekends.

There's no reason they can't adjust it with a shorter format so it fits in with the rest of the calendar.

Postby Lemnas

Ash147 wrote:
Lemnas wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Do you seriously not think that the Premier League was a better event than the Championship League?

I wasn't a snooker fan when the Premier league was around, so I never watched it. Both events had lots of changes to their formats over the years, therefore it is difficult to compare them.
But:
-Both used short races (in the modern era)
-Both used a round-robin system followed by playoffs
-Both were interrupted (by other tournaments) to a ridiculous degree
-Both were played by a random group of top players
-Both were non-ranking events
-Both had little prestige
Seems similar to me. BTW, I would trade them both for a real ranking event or something like the Tour Championship or the CoC.

Postby PLtheRef

Joining this late but in the August 2019 edition of 'Snooker Scene' there is talk that it is difficult to see where World Snooker are going to get the 16 days needed for the Championship League this season

Postby gallantrabbit

Yes. I'm surprised BH has let it slide as long as it was profitable of course. Surely it would be good to elbow the CL out of place with its no spectator format?
Just be good to open it to more players as we have too many tourneys for the elite and it's boring.