Post a reply

Who do you rate as the better player?

Peter Ebdon
68%
Shaun Murphy
32%

Total votes : 28

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby SnookerFan

On looking at this, my gut went; "Murphy", but on thinking about it, that's quite possibly wrong.

Peter Ebdon you forget how good he was, because his style was dull. Being boring to watch doesn't mean you're bad. Maybe Murphy is more instinctive a player, in that he doesn't think about shots for as long as Ebdon. But that wasn't the question.

I think the point about Ebdon having less tournaments to play in during his prime, and also beating Hendry for his World Title win are good points. Also, Murphy's tactical failings are quite well discussed.

Saying that, I know which one of them I'd prefer to watch play.

Postby TheRocket

I created this poll in September 2019. Murphy had won 7 rankers at that stage. Won 2 more since then and got to 9. Same as Ebdon.

Now it looks like this. Murphy (statistically) the better player now because he has that extra Masters title.

Ebdon: 1 World title, 1 UK title, 9 ranking titles
Murphy: 1 World title, 1 UK title, 1 Masters title, 9 ranking titles.

Postby chengdufan

I would have said the same thing in September 2019. I can't call it. I think they are equally good. They have very contrasting styles, so you could say it's hard to compare, but I think if they played 100 matches, it would probably end 50-50, or at worst 48-52 either way.
This goes for many of the match-ups we look at in these threads. I don't think we always have tosay one is better or greater than the other. They can be equally good or great. Let's just enjoy their snooker.

Postby Ronnie79

I hate smurf but even when this pole was created he was a better player than ebdon. I really don't know how anyone thinks ebdon would be better. Ebdon won only 13 career titles and Murphy has about 24 at the moment and will win more

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:I created this poll in September 2019. Murphy had won 7 rankers at that stage. Won 2 more since then and got to 9. Same as Ebdon.

Now it looks like this. Murphy (statistically) the better player now because he has that extra Masters title.

Ebdon: 1 World title, 1 UK title, 9 ranking titles
Murphy: 1 World title, 1 UK title, 1 Masters title, 9 ranking titles.

Murphy was even better back then too.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ronnie79 wrote:I hate smurf but even when this pole was created he was a better player than ebdon. I really don't know how anyone thinks ebdon would be better. Ebdon won only 13 career titles and Murphy has about 24 at the moment and will win more

Smurf beats Ebdon any day of the week.