Post a reply

Re: Q School 2021

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:Peter Geronimo has entered. Great name.

My favourite name is Roshan Birdi. Surely he's playing the wrong sport?

Postby snoopy2608

lhpirnie wrote:196 players. Only 2 from China and none from Thailand (Quid Phetmalaikul has dual nationality). Only one woman, Becky Kenna. I guess this is all expected because of the disruption. As always, quite a few names from the past, hoping for yet another comeback...

Good news is all matches best-of-7. Not so good is the tournament structure, where they've failed to solve the 'byes' problem for QS2 and QS3. This is actually made worse by the seeding strategy, but only just. Unfortunately, the Order of Merit really matters, as there are two tour cards available and top-ups are very common these days. It's still very unfair how that is calculated, but I guess they have no ideas how to fix it.

The relegated pros should have an even bigger advantage, as they have at least had tournaments to play in. Outside the pro game there's been nothing for 14 months.

I've spotted 5 from China - Honghao, Peifan, Sijun, Jiahui, Langning

Postby SteveJJ

snoopy2608 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:196 players. Only 2 from China and none from Thailand (Quid Phetmalaikul has dual nationality). Only one woman, Becky Kenna. I guess this is all expected because of the disruption. As always, quite a few names from the past, hoping for yet another comeback...

Good news is all matches best-of-7. Not so good is the tournament structure, where they've failed to solve the 'byes' problem for QS2 and QS3. This is actually made worse by the seeding strategy, but only just. Unfortunately, the Order of Merit really matters, as there are two tour cards available and top-ups are very common these days. It's still very unfair how that is calculated, but I guess they have no ideas how to fix it.

The relegated pros should have an even bigger advantage, as they have at least had tournaments to play in. Outside the pro game there's been nothing for 14 months.

I suspect he means ones that weren't on tour last season

Postby SteveJJ

lhpirnie wrote:

With allusions to golf like that, I think the BBC have found the long term successor to Dennis Taylor

Postby SteveJJ

Yes I'm not sure on the seeding system. Does it favour the seeds too much? I guess its less games to win but slightly less chance to rack up frames for the order of merit? Certainly moving away from Hearn's standpoint of things being brutal.

Other than holding back the draws for events 2 and 3 until after the previous event has finished, is there another way of sorting out the byes?

Possibly slightly more Eastern Europeans this time? I see the Japanese guy is there.

Postby Running side

SteveJJ wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

With allusions to golf like that, I think the BBC have found the long term successor to Dennis Taylor

Just read article about peter Geronimo, can someone check not just my eyes read.Following a 3_0 win he then added the Scalp of Jordan crossley.

Postby mick745

I can see the logic of no seeding and random draws, you are all in the same boat, all amateurs together and the quality of opposition is nothing compared to what you'd face if you qualified.

If you cant beat the best q school has to offer you cant beat pros ranked in the top 64.

I have spotted young Westley Cooper's name in the entrants list, he is the lad from this video where Foulds has a go at him for saying Selby is his favourite player (i believe Westley is from Leicester too). Not sure how old he is now.

https://youtu.be/SXzgEHVgh-8

Postby SteveJJ

Running side wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Just read article about peter Geronimo, can someone check not just my eyes read.Following a 3_0 win he then added the Scalp of Jordan crossley.

Now that is brutal. Hearn would be impressed

Postby snoopy2608

SteveJJ wrote:
snoopy2608 wrote:

That makes sense my apologies.
Just notice Jamie Jones II has entered!

Postby SteveJJ

snoopy2608 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
snoopy2608 wrote:

He missed the tour so much he wants to be on it twice!

Postby lhpirnie

snoopy2608 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
snoopy2608 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:196 players. Only 2 from China...

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. The 5 players from China who were relegated have stayed in the UK since the World Championship (preparing like crazy). I was referring to people who had travelled over through the pandemic restrictions: Chen Feilong ("the Flying Dragon") and Yao Pengcheng - neither are young players. There's one Indian, Gaurang Vyas, who's had to withdraw. But Kei Kamihashi from Japan is in the draw, although he's spent a lot of time here is residence at the academies.

Postby HappyCamper

lhpirnie wrote:
snoopy2608 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
snoopy2608 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:196 players. Only 2 from China...

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. The 5 players from China who were relegated have stayed in the UK since the World Championship (preparing like crazy). I was referring to people who had travelled over through the pandemic restrictions: Chen Feilong ("the Flying Dragon") and Yao Pengcheng - neither are young players. There's one Indian, Gaurang Vyas, who's had to withdraw. But Kei Kamihashi from Japan is in the draw, although he's spent a lot of time here is residence at the academies.

Yu kiu chang from HK too I think.

Postby chengdufan

Notable absences:

Dessie Sheehan
Mike Hallett
Paul Burrell
Jeff Cundy
Bash Maqsood
Tugba Irten
Matthew Couch
Stephen Kershaw
Ian Preece
Aditya Mehta
Lucky Vatnani
Jamie McArdle
Andy Marriott
Thor Chuan Leong
Chris Keogan
Jake Nicholson
Fang Xiongman
Adam Edge
Jonathan Bagley
Chae Ross
Ronan Whyte
Kayden Brierley

Postby The_Abbott

Ian Preece is sunning himself in Nice

Postby GeF

52 Players have a bye in all 3 events, 12 in 2 events.
Pros like Duane Jones, Mitchell Mann, Brandon Sargeant, David Lilley and notably Yuan Sijun are among the 12.

Postby Wildey

GeF wrote:52 Players have a bye in all 3 events, 12 in 2 events.
Pros like Duane Jones, Mitchell Mann, Brandon Sargeant, David Lilley and notably Yuan Sijun are among the 12.

They have seeded players based on Drop off pros and Q School order of merit from 2020

Players falling off the World Snooker Tour from the 2020/21 season along with top players on the Q School Order of Merit from 2020 will make up 64 seeded players in each Q School event. These players will be placed at random in the draw but seeded apart from one another in the opening rounds of the events so that they do not meet before the L64 round

That's why there are so many players with basically 4 frames before starting 4 of those seeds will be playing in round 1 per event, and they will be different players each time.

52 players has 12 frames and in a strong position to claim tour cards via the order of merit

Postby chengdufan

I'm very excited about this. I'm really hoping it is broadcast on zhibo.tv.

There are 60+ players who have the ability and should feel very confident of their chances. But there will surely be one or two surprises from outside that group of favourites who make it through.

I am of course hoping, as always, that the qualifiers largely come from the younger age bracket and there is an international feel to the group of 14.
I would love to see Knowles qualify, though surely he must be one of the least likely to do so! But I think the likes of Pinches, Lawler, P Lines, Burden and Davison have had their run now and I'd be disappointed if they made it. (I am of course disappointed by this every year and it won't be different this time!).

Postby The_Abbott

Wildey wrote:https://wst.tv/knowles-tour-place-is-my-goal/

Tony Knowles at 65 thinks he has what it takes to make it through q school

Well if he's flying in practice we know what that means

Postby Dan-cat

The_Abbott wrote:

Crazy this - love his ambition, I really hope he does it!! But if Hendry can barely win a frame... I don't hold out a lot of hope

Postby badtemperedcyril

chengdufan wrote:Notable absences:

Dessie Sheehan
Mike Hallett
Paul Burrell
Jeff Cundy
Bash Maqsood
Tugba Irten
Matthew Couch
Stephen Kershaw
Ian Preece
Aditya Mehta
Lucky Vatnani
Jamie McArdle
Andy Marriott
Thor Chuan Leong
Chris Keogan
Jake Nicholson
Fang Xiongman
Adam Edge
Jonathan Bagley
Chae Ross
Ronan Whyte
Kayden Brierley

Dessie Sheehan is 71-years old, to be fair.

Postby badtemperedcyril

chengdufan wrote:I'm very excited about this. I'm really hoping it is broadcast on zhibo.tv.

There are 60+ players who have the ability and should feel very confident of their chances. But there will surely be one or two surprises from outside that group of favourites who make it through.

I am of course hoping, as always, that the qualifiers largely come from the younger age bracket and there is an international feel to the group of 14.
I would love to see Knowles qualify, though surely he must be one of the least likely to do so! But I think the likes of Pinches, Lawler, P Lines, Burden and Davison have had their run now and I'd be disappointed if they made it. (I am of course disappointed by this every year and it won't be different this time!).

As much as one can have the greatest admiration for these old warriors, it really is a sad reflection on the UK game if there aren't better teens and twenty-somethings coming through to take their places. China is certainly producing more young players presently and surely more of them would be getting on the tour were it not for the present travel difficulties.

Take a look at the ages - Lawler (49), Pinches (50), Burden (44), Lines (51), Davison (49).

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

Crazy this - love his ambition, I really hope he does it!! But if Hendry can barely win a frame... I don't hold out a lot of hope

I’m fairly sure Hendry would sail through Q-school, were he required to.

Postby cupotee

badtemperedcyril wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I'm very excited about this. I'm really hoping it is broadcast on zhibo.tv.

As much as one can have the greatest admiration for these old warriors, it really is a sad reflection on the UK game if there aren't better teens and twenty-somethings coming through to take their places. China is certainly producing more young players presently and surely more of them would be getting on the tour were it not for the present travel difficulties.

Take a look at the ages - Lawler (49), Pinches (50), Burden (44), Lines (51), Davison (49).

Agreed with the sentiment and there isn't any fault with today's teenagers and 20 somethings it's just that the facilities aren't available outside of wst events , plus with those older players you mentioned I don't think Lawler Lines and Davison actually even won a match to become pro's , they just paid a fee l think it was £ 750 , bearing this in mind it isn't hard to see why so few British or even continental Europeans are coming through , I don't think there's many facilities on the European continent either.

Postby vodkadiet1

There is more chance of TK shagging the same amount of young women he did in the 80s (without having to pay).

Re: Q School 1 !!!

Postby badtemperedcyril

Wonder what Tony's odds are of getting through? Must be 300/1

Nice to see him and Dean Reynolds having a go though. They've both had to overcome serious health vicissitudes - Knowles overcame throat cancer and Reynolds suffered a stroke in 2009.
Last edited by badtemperedcyril on 25 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Q School 1 !!!

Postby James Bentley

badtemperedcyril wrote:Wonder what Tony's odds are of getting through? Must be 300/1

Nice to see him and Dean Reynolds having a go though. They've both had to overcome serious health vicissitudes - Knowles overcame throat cancer and Reynolds suffered a stroke in 2009.

Just had a look on bet365. Tony is 250/1 to qualify from Event 1, so I'm sure another betting site will have him at 300/1 (bet365 aren't exactly renowned for the generosity of their odds). Dean Reynolds is also 250/1.

Favourites are Michael White (2/1), Yuan Sijun (9/4), Si Jiahui (11/4), Bei Langning (7/2) and James Cahill (4/1). It's all a bit of a crapshoot, though, isn't it? I don't think anyone looks particularly good value for a bet.