Post a reply

Re: Q School 1 !!!

Postby cupotee

chengdufan wrote:
cupotee wrote:Adrian Rosa 11/2 with bet365 to beat Bai Langning at 7pm , Umut Dikme 4/1 to beat Michael Georgiou tomorrow at 10am

Dikme is a good bet at 4/1 (though he's most likely to lose 4-2). I wouldn't touch Rosa. While it was surprising that Bai made hard work of Simmonds, Simmonds is a lot better than Rosa.

I hear you about Rosa and I'm all for youngsters getting on tour re Langning but I still think the double's a decent punt on a moderate stake.

Postby chengdufan

cupotee wrote:
chengdufan wrote:
cupotee wrote:Adrian Rosa 11/2 with bet365 to beat Bai Langning at 7pm , Umut Dikme 4/1 to beat Michael Georgiou tomorrow at 10am

Dikme is a good bet at 4/1 (though he's most likely to lose 4-2). I wouldn't touch Rosa. While it was surprising that Bai made hard work of Simmonds, Simmonds is a lot better than Rosa.

I hear you about Rosa and I'm all for youngsters getting on tour re Langning but I still think the double's a decent punt on a moderate stake.

Good luck! I think Rosa is about 10/1

Postby chengdufan

50 year-old Robert Read wins his first ever Q School frame :D

Postby cupotee

chengdufan wrote:
cupotee wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

Good luck! I think Rosa is about 10/1

Do you know where Rosa practices , is it with Peter Lines and David Grace in Leeds ? can't be too bad and you're assuming Langning will play well too, anyway all good.

Postby Wildey

chengdufan wrote:Lawler even slower than usual. He's on 35 seconds a shot.
Scott Bell was a talented youngster apparently, but hasn't played much competitively in recent years. He's 30 now. He entered Q school once before, in 2016, and lost both his matches.

Pandemic stir crazy a lot just want to get out of the house.

Postby chengdufan

There's never been a professional snooker player born in 1999. None of the 7 q school entrants born that year have reached the last 64 in event one.

Postby SteveJJ

chengdufan wrote:There's never been a professional snooker player born in 1999. None of the 7 q school entrants born that year have reached the last 64 in event one.

Wow. You win stat of the day with that one

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:
chengdufan wrote:There's never been a professional snooker player born in 1999. None of the 7 q school entrants born that year have reached the last 64 in event one.

Luo Honghao was born January 2000, which is before the Chinese New Year. He did well today, as did Yuan Sijun. The two friends might have to face each other.

Postby cupotee

Ali Carter's influence finally rubbing off on Sydney Wilson ? currently giving Sam Baird a pasting 3 - 0

Postby cupotee

Anyone ever wondered why some of these players don't move on with their lives , Adam Duffy Sam Baird Adrian Rosa Barry Pinches Leo Fernandez etc , its like they're in a cul de sac or dead end and can't get out.

Postby chengdufan

Well, you can't really judge Luo Honghao too much on today's match. His 38 year-old opponent has never won a match at Q school, claiming only 3 frames in 6 previous matches. And he even lost to Constantin Mateescu, the only time the Romanian ever won a single frame.

Postby chengdufan

Unexpected top level performance from Sydney Wilson in whitewashing Sam Baird. He had breaks of 108 and 68.

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

Luo Honghao was born January 2000, which is before the Chinese New Year. He did well today, as did Yuan Sijun. The two friends might have to face each other.

Yes, well spotted. Yuan and Luo odds on to meet in the last 32. Hayden Staniland the biggest obstacle.

Postby cupotee

chengdufan wrote:Unexpected top level performance from Sydney Wilson in whitewashing Sam Baird. He had breaks of 108 and 68.

Is the high breaks more frequent in these recent CBSA events ?

Postby lhpirnie

cupotee wrote:Anyone ever wondered why some of these players don't move on with their lives , Adam Duffy Sam Baird Adrian Rosa Barry Pinches Leo Fernandez etc , its like they're in a cul de sac or dead end and can't get out.

It's a common problem in snooker. Those guys who have been professionals for years can't let it go - it's their entire identity. It's an addiction. Even players who announce their 'retirement' often appear in Q School a couple of years later.

Unfortunately, the rigid 128-player tour structure doesn't give old players the chance to ease out of it, and the WSS tour isn't the same. What I worry about is how some of these guys can afford it - you need backing to be a low-ranked pro.

Postby chengdufan

cupotee wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Unexpected top level performance from Sydney Wilson in whitewashing Sam Baird. He had breaks of 108 and 68.

Very good question, which I don't immediately know the answer to

Postby SteveJJ

cupotee wrote:Anyone ever wondered why some of these players don't move on with their lives , Adam Duffy Sam Baird Adrian Rosa Barry Pinches Leo Fernandez etc , its like they're in a cul de sac or dead end and can't get out.

Nothing wrong with following your dreams as long as you aren't delusional about it. Somebody might have said that about Jordan Brown a couple of years ago and hes won a ranker now.

Or if we look at Chelsea. Kante a non league player 10 years ago, now a World Champion, Premier league champion and Champions League winner.

And Mendy, clubless, signing on, looking for a non football job only 7 yrs ago.

Sometimes dreams come true, however unlikely

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:

It's a common problem in snooker. Those guys who have been professionals for years can't let it go - it's their entire identity. It's an addiction. Even players who announce their 'retirement' often appear in Q School a couple of years later.

Unfortunately, the rigid 128-player tour structure doesn't give old players the chance to ease out of it, and the WSS tour isn't the same. What I worry about is how some of these guys can afford it - you need backing to be a low-ranked pro.

But if you've got a job, and you're good enough to compete at q school, why not enter? Playing in it must be a very enjoyable experience. If you do end up qualifying, you can give being a pro (again) a go and go back to being a barman in a couple of years' time.

Postby cupotee

lhpirnie wrote:

I get you about identity and an addiction but why don't they give something like professional darts a whirl , it's easier than snooker I don't care what anyone says and of course they can practice at home scot free.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:
cupotee wrote:

Very good question, which I don't immediately know the answer to

The Xi'an tournament in April if I remember there were 65 matches and 11 century breaks. Zhang Jiankang won the high-break prize with 134. The next tournament is in 3 weeks' time in Lanzhou, and some of the professionals will be there.

Postby stanley_

The bottom quarter looks set to have the most former pros in the last 16. Pity Honghao and Sijun will be up against each other soon. On the plus side, only Lawler and Burden in it in terms of older ex-pros and Lawler only scraped through today.

The top quarter is full of older ex-pros (Fernandez, Lines, Davies, Davison, Lilley) so hopefully a younger player will make it. Michael White is probably the best bet.

Regarding an earlier post, I think Langning has a tough match against Rosa. I don't think it'll be easy but hopefully he'll win it.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

But if you've got a job, and you're good enough to compete at q school, why not enter? Playing in it must be a very enjoyable experience. If you do end up qualifying, you can give being a pro (again) a go and go back to being a barman in a couple of years' time.

If you can take 18 days off work and can afford £1000 entry fee, plus travelling and accommodation, then yes it does seem like a nice gig.

But I take the point that many of these guys are just delighted to be playing in a tournament again after more than a year with nothing. Most of the amateurs can hardly have had a chance to prepare properly.

Postby cupotee

lhpirnie wrote:
chengdufan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

If you can take 18 days off work and can afford £1000 entry fee, plus travelling and accommodation, then yes it does seem like a nice gig.

But I take the point that many of these guys are just delighted to be playing in a tournament again after more than a year with nothing. Most of the amateurs can hardly have had a chance to prepare properly.

Any idea on what Sheffield based player Joel Walker is doing now , he doesn't seem as persistent as Adam Duffy for example in trying to get back on tour

Postby csprince

cupotee wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
chengdufan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Any idea on what Sheffield based player Joel Walker is doing now , he doesn't seem as persistent as Adam Duffy for example in trying to get back on tour

i think like michael white he had issues with depression.

Postby Wildey

SPOT 1 Last 16 DRAW
Michael White v Ben Fortey
Peter Lines v Riley Parsons
Lee Stephens v Lee Shanker
Alex Taubman v Luke Pinches
Dylan Emery v Leo Fernandez
Ian Burns v Brandon Sargeant
David Lilley v Paul S Davison
Paul Davies v Ross Vallance

SPOT 2 Last 16 DRAW
Raymond Fry v Tony Knowles
Fraser Patrick v Simon Blackwell
Simon Bedford v Niel Vincent
Lei Peifan v Jack Culligan
Stuart Watson v James Cahill
Joe Fenton v Hammad Miah
Haydon Pinhey v Florian Nuessle
Bai Langning v Adrian Rosa

SPOT 3 Last 16 DRAW
Billy Joe Castle v Oliver Brown
Callum Lloyd v Aaron Busuttil
Ian Martin v Si Jiahui
Michael Georgiou v Umut Dikme
David Donovan v Soheil Vahedi
Jackson Page v Michael Judge
Gary Challis v Hamim Hussain
Sanderson Lam v Sean Harvey

SPOT 4 Last 16 DRAW
Harvey Chandler v Rod Lawler
Mitchell Mann v Eden Sharav
Ryan Davies v Daniel Womersley
Duane Jones v Alfie Burden
Yuan SiJun v Alex Millington
Hayden Staniland v Luo Honghao
Daniel Wells/Adam Duffy v Sydney Wilson
John J Astley v Ross Muir

Postby Iranu

cupotee wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

I get you about identity and an addiction but why don't they give something like professional darts a whirl , it's easier than snooker I don't care what anyone says and of course they can practice at home scot free.

Why suggest darts when pool is right there?

Postby cupotee

Iranu wrote:
cupotee wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Why suggest darts when pool is right there?

Fair enough i was just never into pool , also what could be easier and cheaper than buying a pro dart board a set of darts and just practising at home , so from a practicality and logistical sense in the vast majority of cases its way easier to get up to speed in pro darts than pro snooker.

Postby Wildey

Tony Knowles starting well making a half century to win the 1st frame