Post a reply

Q School 3 !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 8th ~Sunday 13th of June at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, Sheffield

Last Chance for 187 Players with 6 spots up for Grabs 4 from reaching the so called Semi Finals and 2 from the Order of Merit.

Qualifiers So far are
Barry Pinches Age 50 29th and 30th season on tour Turned Pro 1989/1990
Peter Lines Age 51 27th and 28th season on tourTurned Pro 1991/1992
Alfie Burden Age 44 25th and 26th season on tourTurned Pro 1994/1995
Michael Judge Age 45 20th and 21st season on tourTurned Pro 1992/1993
Craig Steadman Age 38 10th and 11th season on tourTurned Pro 2009/2010
Frazer Patrick Age 35 8th and 9th season on tourTurned Pro 2007/2008
Yuan SiJun Age 21 5th and 6th season on tourTurned Pro 2017/2018
Jackson Page Age 19 3rd and 4th season on tourTurned Pro 2019/2020

Who will be joining them?

Q SCHOOL 3 DRAW
Q SCHOOL 3 ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Q School 3 !!!

Postby The_Abbott

We need more seniors. Come on David Lilley - the king of seniors.

Postby lhpirnie

The draw has opened up for Adam Duffy, Rod Lawler, Pat Wallace and Paul S Davison. Leo Fernandez and David Lilley are in an excellent position for the Order of Merit places.

Postby hendry_fan

COME ONNNNN "The Ladies Man from Bolton"!. :-D

I just googled good old Tony,Jeez!,did,nt think he was 65!. :shock: :gramp: :-)

Postby Juddernaut88

hendry_fan wrote:COME ONNNNN "The Ladies Man from Bolton"!. :-D

I just googled good old Tony,Jeez!,did,nt think he was 65!. :shock: :gramp: :-)

Is he the same age as you then? :chuckle:

Postby SteveJJ

The O'Sullivan fans in ecstatic mood as Sean is the first winner of the day.

Tony Knowles takes a 2-0 lead

Postby mick745

Can we hope for qualifiers under 40 years of age this time, or even under 30 would be nice.

Postby cupotee

mick745 wrote:Can we hope for qualifiers under 40 years of age this time, or even under 30 would be nice.

Investment is a dirty word in Britain it seems , don't forget jeremy corbyn got trounced in the election.

Postby Prop

cupotee wrote:
mick745 wrote:Can we hope for qualifiers under 40 years of age this time, or even under 30 would be nice.

Investment is a dirty word in Britain it seems , don't forget jeremy corbyn got trounced in the election.

Investment isn’t a dirty word, Blackadder. Crevice is a dirty word, but investment isn’t.

Postby cupotee

Prop wrote:
cupotee wrote:

Investment isn’t a dirty word, Blackadder. Crevice is a dirty word, but investment isn’t.

well the problem when its applied to young players in snooker is that there's no guaranteed profits , hence the average age of pro snooker players slowly creeping up to 65.

Postby Wildey

Last chance saloon for players if you lose now your out

Postby mick745

cupotee wrote:

Are you suggesting tax payers subsidise snooker?

There has been millions of pounds of investment in british sport to be fair through the lottery funding. That's why we win all those olympic medals. Now if only we could get snooker into the olympics....

Postby Reg Varney

SteveJJ wrote:The O'Sullivan fans in ecstatic mood as Sean is the first winner of the day.

TK through; whitewashes Garry Coulson 4-0

Postby cupotee

mick745 wrote:
cupotee wrote:

There has been millions of pounds of investment in british sport to be fair through the lottery funding. That's why we win all those olympic medals. Now if only we could get snooker into the olympics....

well its sad it seems that no one can afford to put up a decent academy anywhere , i went to the south west snooker academy once , the place was pretty pathetic anyway and now its shut up shop to anyone outside of robert milkins because they can't afford to keep it open.

Postby SteveJJ

Reg Varney wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:The O'Sullivan fans in ecstatic mood as Sean is the first winner of the day.

TK through; whitewashes Garry Coulson 4-0

Has Ryan Roberts next.

Postby The_Abbott

There is still a work ethic thing as well. You can't just splash the cash at an Academy and hope for the best - look at Tennis.

Whilst I would love more young talent coming through they are not competing hard enough with grit to beat the likes of Lines and Pinches. They have too much professionalism to lose and will work twice as hard to beat their opponent to get a pay cheque. Some youngsters expect to turn up and beat an old fart and get given money for nothing or check their phones every 5 seconds for the latest tweets from some influencer on instagram.

Postby cupotee

The_Abbott wrote:There is still a work ethic thing as well. You can't just splash the cash at an Academy and hope for the best - look at Tennis.

Whilst I would love more young talent coming through they are not competing hard enough with grit to beat the likes of Lines and Pinches. They have too much professionalism to lose and will work twice as hard to beat their opponent to get a pay cheque. Some youngsters expect to turn up and beat an old fart and get given money for nothing or check their phones every 5 seconds for the latest tweets from some influencer on instagram.

well tbf peter lines in his youth and still now had the advantage of one of the best clubs on his doorstep , the northern snooker centre , strongly doubt david grace would be a pro without that club either.

Postby lhpirnie

mick745 wrote:There has been millions of pounds of investment in british sport to be fair through the lottery funding. That's why we win all those olympic medals. Now if only we could get snooker into the olympics....

Snooker won't get into the Olympics with the average age increasing, and they keep giving wildcards to retired players. Together with all this 1980's stuff, snooker's image is that of a 'traditional British entertainment'. That's not exactly what IOC are looking for...

Postby mick745

cupotee wrote:
mick745 wrote:
cupotee wrote:

well its sad it seems that no one can afford to put up a decent academy anywhere , i went to the south west snooker academy once , the place was pretty pathetic anyway and now its shut up shop to anyone outside of robert milkins because they can't afford to keep it open.

Is that the place in Gloucester where they used to play the Pro-Am Pink Ribbon event?

Postby mick745

The_Abbott wrote:There is still a work ethic thing as well. You can't just splash the cash at an Academy and hope for the best - look at Tennis.

I think you have summarised the situation well there. A lack of focus is key, where is the single mindedness to succeed and to be the best? Or ďo they just want to be famous?

Postby mick745

lhpirnie wrote:
mick745 wrote:There has been millions of pounds of investment in british sport to be fair through the lottery funding. That's why we win all those olympic medals. Now if only we could get snooker into the olympics....

Snooker won't get into the Olympics with the average age increasing, and they keep giving wildcards to retired players. Together with all this 1980's stuff, snooker's image is that of a 'traditional British entertainment'. That's not exactly what IOC are looking for...

Golf got into the olympics, a sport not exactly flush with young talent and probably more steeped in its traditions than snooker is.

Postby cupotee

mick745 wrote:
cupotee wrote:
mick745 wrote:
cupotee wrote:

Is that the place in Gloucester where they used to play the Pro-Am Pink Ribbon event?

thats the one , its at the back of an industrial complex and only opened up on weekdays in the daytime once on thursdays about 1pm , otherwise you had to wait til about 5pm , not very good if you weren't local.

Postby lhpirnie

mick745 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Golf got into the olympics, a sport not exactly flush with young talent and probably more steeped in its traditions than snooker is.

Yes, but it's got the US support.

Postby lhpirnie

mick745 wrote:

I think you have summarised the situation well there. A lack of focus is key, where is the single mindedness to succeed and to be the best? Or ďo they just want to be famous?

I disagree with the view that young players are all lazy - I think that's totally unfair. It's just too easy an explanation. It's not as if players from previous generations were as dedicated as they now like to claim. The problem is systemic and demographic.

But it hardly matters. What's important is how to fix the problem we have in snooker: the game is heading for crisis in around 10 years from now. Without players, there's no game.

Postby cupotee

lhpirnie wrote:
mick745 wrote:

I disagree with the view that young players are all lazy - I think that's totally unfair. It's just too easy an explanation. It's not as if players from previous generations were as dedicated as they now like to claim. The problem is systemic and demographic.

But it hardly matters. What's important is how to fix the problem we have in snooker: the game is heading for crisis in around 10 years from now. Without players, there's no game.

I know a wpbsa coach who’s all too aware of the lack of facilities but when need arises he spouts this annual prospectus line about a ‘ work ethic ‘ , all window dressing and paying the bills i suppose.

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:I disagree with the view that young players are all lazy - I think that's totally unfair. It's just too easy an explanation. It's not as if players from previous generations were as dedicated as they now like to claim. The problem is systemic and demographic.

I totally agree. Every generation thinks the next is “lazy” or “lacks work ethic.” For every GenXer bemoaning Millennials, there was a Boomer bemoaning that GenXer. Not just in sport either. Look at how older people have a go at Millennials for living at home, ignoring how house prices have skyrocketed compared to wages.

It’s quite despicable, actually. You’d think they’d remember having to deal with the same rubbish when they were younger.

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:I disagree with the view that young players are all lazy - I think that's totally unfair. It's just too easy an explanation. It's not as if players from previous generations were as dedicated as they now like to claim. The problem is systemic and demographic.

I totally agree. Every generation thinks the next is “lazy” or “lacks work ethic.” For every GenXer bemoaning Millennials, there was a Boomer bemoaning that GenXer. Not just in sport either. Look at how older people have a go at Millennials for living at home, ignoring how house prices have skyrocketed compared to wages.

It’s quite despicable, actually. You’d think they’d remember having to deal with the same rubbish when they were younger.

The time is ripe for someone to come along and take the game by the scruff on the neck and give it a good shake out of its stupor, in the same way Davis and Hendry did.

The opportunity is there for a period of dominance.

I dont see anyone younger than Trump with enough talent though. Jury's still out for Bingtao for me.

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:

I think it is just a consequence that each generation's life is just a little bit easier than the last with technology etc. And mostly slightly more affluence. And will continue that way no doubt.

The gap between being a good junior and being good enough to be a pro is too big a gap at the moment.