Post a reply

Re: 2022 Q School 2 !!

Postby SteveJJ

The_Abbott wrote:Higginson goes 2-0 up on Moody. I think Moody needs a few more beatable opponents to gain experience

Yep think this year will be to9 early for him but at least he will gain experience

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:The MOD was too strong for Hongyu

but what a prospect. Experience got MOD through today.

Yes Liu very nearly won 4-1. He missed the last red and almost fluked it. He needs to fix a couple of things in his game before turning professional, but this experience will be beneficial. Martin O'Donnell really struggled, but just did enough today.

Postby The_Abbott

SteveJJ wrote:The world champion is out again!

It's so careless at this level

Postby The_Abbott

Interesting that both Luke Simmonds and Brandon Sargeant, who both reached the quarters in Q1, have fallen in round 2. Sunny has yet to play. Just shows you have to take your chance when it comes.

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:Interesting that both Luke Simmonds and Brandon Sargeant, who both reached the quarters in Q1, have fallen in round 2. Sunny has yet to play. Just shows you have to take your chance when it comes.

Yes exactly. Sunny Akani should have beaten Bai, but succumbed to the pressure. It's only going to get harder as the chances run out

Postby The_Abbott

Isa Ishtiaq must have been late as he had 3 frames docked. Then lost the 4th. So careless.

Postby The_Abbott

lhpirnie wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Interesting that both Luke Simmonds and Brandon Sargeant, who both reached the quarters in Q1, have fallen in round 2. Sunny has yet to play. Just shows you have to take your chance when it comes.

Yes exactly. Sunny Akani should have beaten Bai, but succumbed to the pressure. It's only going to get harder as the chances run out

and I think Michael Holt is really struggling with the pressure. He should be blitzing through and everyone expects him to qualify.

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

and I think Michael Holt is really struggling with the pressure. He should be blitzing through and everyone expects him to qualify.

I'm watching him now. He was completely out of sorts at the start, but a bit better now. He's trying to deflect the pressure by playing as if it doesn't matter. He was talking to me earlier...

Postby cupotee

The_Abbott wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

I don't know , to me Holt is one of those players on the front line of the general standard of the amateur game rising , Sam Baird in the 2012 Q school didn't drop a frame , I can't see that happening now , and I remember Holt playing Wu Yize earlier this season where he had a simple clearance of the colours to win the match , he missed a simple green then lost the final frame , then add that to his pro record over a quarter of a century and if there's a conclusion box that some players aren't good enough then he probably fits the bill to be fair.

Postby lhpirnie

cupotee wrote:I don't know , to me Holt is one of those players on the front line of the general standard of the amateur game rising , Sam Baird in the 2012 Q school didn't drop a frame , I can't see that happening now , and I remember Holt playing Wu Yize earlier this season where he had a simple clearance of the colours to win the match , he missed a simple green then lost the final frame , then add that to his pro record over a quarter of a century and if there's a conclusion box that some players aren't good enough then he probably fits the bill to be fair.

No, Holt is a lot better than that. But he's suffering from all kinds of hangups. Even at the start of this match he seemed almost incapable of playing the shot - it looked like a massive case of the yips. But when he got into the balls he was able to score heavily.

But yes, there are doubts whether he can successfully get through this, a bit like when Michael White fell off the tour.

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:
cupotee wrote:I don't know , to me Holt is one of those players on the front line of the general standard of the amateur game rising , Sam Baird in the 2012 Q school didn't drop a frame , I can't see that happening now , and I remember Holt playing Wu Yize earlier this season where he had a simple clearance of the colours to win the match , he missed a simple green then lost the final frame , then add that to his pro record over a quarter of a century and if there's a conclusion box that some players aren't good enough then he probably fits the bill to be fair.

No, Holt is a lot better than that. But he's suffering from all kinds of hangups. Even at the start of this match he seemed almost incapable of playing the shot - it looked like a massive case of the yips. But when he got into the balls he was able to score heavily.

But yes, there are doubts whether he can successfully get through this, a bit like when Michael White fell off the tour.

Confirmed by the stats. 82 players have earned more than 100000 'ranking points' over the past four seasons. Most will seamlessly continue on tour next season.

The others are (4-year 'ranking' in brackets):

At QSchool Sheffield: Kurt Maflin (38); Michael Holt (41); Martin O’Donnell (48); Akani Songsermsawad (58); Andrew Higginson (62); Fergal O’Brien (71 - qualified QS1); Eden Sharav (73); Daniel Wells (77); James Cahill (80=)
At QSchool Thailand: Luo Honghao (80=)
Retired: Alan McManus (68); Nigel Bond (75)
Returning to Tour through 1-Year list: Michael White (72)

Postby The_Abbott

Sunny and Holt are in the same quarter in Q2 so only one can get on the tour in Q2. Other then them two, that section is pretty 'easy'. The first quarter looks the quarter of death.

Postby The_Abbott

according to live scores Maflin won 4-0 by winning 6 frames. Impressive.

Postby Wildey

SPOT 5
Rory McLeod v Daniel Wells
Bradley Cowdroy v Wang Yuchen
Martin O'Donnell v James Cahill
Saqib Nasir v Ross Bulman
Alex Taubman v Neal Jones
Adam Duffy v Ryan Davies
Daniel Womersley v Michael Georgiou
Andrew Higginson v Iulian Boiko

SPOT 6
Zak Surety v Ben Fortey
Sean McAllister v Cheung Ka Wai
Tony Knowles v Joshua Thomond
Farakh Ajaib v Rodney Goggins
Hamim Hussain v Fergal Quinn
Daan Leyssen v Liam Davies
Eden Sharav v Keith Keldie
Ben Mertens v Alfie Davies

SPOT 7
Chris Totten v Sunny Akani
George Pragnell v Leo Fernandez
Sean Harvey v Michael Holt
Haydon Pinhey v Zhao Jianbo
Aaron Hill v Faizaan Mohammed
Sydney Wilson v Gao Yang
Phil O'Kane v Kuldesh Johal
Ian Martin v Soheil Vahedi

SPOT 8
Steven Hallworth v Harvey Chandler
Ross Muir v Lukas Kleckers
Peter Devlin v Sergey Isaenko
Yu Kiu Chang v Robbie McGuigan
Aidan Murphy v Sanderson Lam
Sean Maddocks v Tyler Rees
Callum Beresford v Kurt Maflin
Ben Hancorn v John J Astley

Postby The_Abbott

you would expect Maflin to win spot 8.

Spot 6 looks open. Might get a new face on tour

Postby cupotee

I hope Iulian Boiko doesn't try to cling on to being a pro for ten years like Kacper Filipiak did , I don't think pro snooker is that great anyway its never worth that kind of effort.

Postby chengdufan

I might've made a mistake choosing to watch TK. Very heavy going in the early stages.

Postby chengdufan

Going to give McAllister v Cheung a go. Close match up on paper

Postby chengdufan

Equally heavy going.

Daan Leyssen and Liam Davies just starting. Surely these fellas will make a better fist of it.

Postby The_Abbott

chengdufan wrote:I might've made a mistake choosing to watch TK. Very heavy going in the early stages.

Has TK had too many BK's? is that why he's heavy?

Postby chengdufan

The_Abbott wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I might've made a mistake choosing to watch TK. Very heavy going in the early stages.

Has TK had too many BK's? is that why he's heavy?

Also the hair weighing him down. He's gone for a Paul Hunter style Alice band but he looks more homeless truck driver than Spice Boy.

Postby Reg Varney

Learned my lesson from watching him in the Seniors.

Postby lhpirnie

cupotee wrote:I hope Iulian Boiko doesn't try to cling on to being a pro for ten years like Kacper Filipiak did , I don't think pro snooker is that great anyway its never worth that kind of effort.

I really don't know what you mean. Fortunately these players do think it's worth it, that's why they put in so much effort and planning to be here.

Kacper Filipiak was not a pro for 10 years. He got on tour aged 15 and had a very unhappy time getting clobbered every week and was relegated. A few years later he made it through Q School for another attempt, played OK but was ultimately relegated a second time and promptly retired, aged 25. What looked at first like a breakthrough for snooker in Poland might end up being the death of it, the way his career was mismanaged.

His case was a clear example why it's not always a good thing for players to get on tour too young. I think it's preposterous people are talking up the chances of Stan Moody this year. Pro snooker shouldn't be be some kind of circus.

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:
cupotee wrote:I hope Iulian Boiko doesn't try to cling on to being a pro for ten years like Kacper Filipiak did , I don't think pro snooker is that great anyway its never worth that kind of effort.

I really don't know what you mean. Fortunately these players do think it's worth it, that's why they put in so much effort and planning to be here.

Kacper Filipiak was not a pro for 10 years. He got on tour aged 15 and had a very unhappy time getting clobbered every week and was relegated. A few years later he made it through Q School for another attempt, played OK but was ultimately relegated a second time and promptly retired, aged 25. What looked at first like a breakthrough for snooker in Poland might end up being the death of it, the way his career was mismanaged.

His case was a clear example why it's not always a good thing for players to get on tour too young. I think it's preposterous people are talking up the chances of Stan Moody this year. Pro snooker shouldn't be be some kind of circus.

Filipiak was good enough to give pros a decent game towards the end of his career. There were signs he could have made a living out of it before he retired, albeit as a journeyman.

Boiko is a different kettle of fish and is still very young. He wasn't good enough the last two years, but he has been steadily improving for a long time and the experience as a pro will stand him in good stead.

Postby cupotee

lhpirnie wrote:

Just that I think its difficult enough to eek out wins on the pro tour anyway without turning into some kind of 30 year's part of the furniture like O Brien , McLeod , Pinches.
Fair enough I hadn't followed Filipiak's career that closely I suppose my point is they should try to make sure they've got something to fall back on as its precarious enough anyway when there's no money for first round losers.