Post a reply

The EBSA conundrum

Postby gninnur karona

In three days time the 2022 EBSA championships will begin in Shenglin, Albania. In normal times the winners of the U21 and the main championships would be invited to begin (or resume) their professional careers in a few weeks time.

However due to Covid whereas the 2020 edition took place per normal during the 2019-20 season the delayed 2021 event took place last October (ie one season late during 2021-22). Oliver Brown and Dylan Emery earned tour cards for 2022-23 by winning championships that in a Covid-free world would have been completed in good time for them to take up tour cards before the start of the 2021-22 season.

It looks likely that the 2022 event will take place well within the 2022-23 season so by this time next year the championships should be running according to the normal annual cycle.

Logistically for one season WST/WPBSA have to give four tour cards (it would be despicable to blank one of these championships).

So how are WST/WPBSA going to handle this situation? Will they make a last minute change to give the two cards on offer for the 2022-23 season? Or will they insist that the players wait for 2023-24?

Re: The EBSA conundrum

Postby HappyCamper

should also be noted the current edition was due to take place earlier in the year in poland but was delayed due to the war in ukraine.

the number of cards and distribution thereof always seems to be made up on the fly every year anyway. they could offer more slots next year, or just have a play-off between the two winners.

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:should also be noted the current edition was due to take place earlier in the year in poland but was delayed due to the war in ukraine.

the number of cards and distribution thereof always seems to be made up on the fly every year anyway. they could offer more slots next year, or just have a play-off between the two winners.

Yes it is a strange timetable. Most likely, the players will get their tour card for 2023-24 and perhaps next year the EBSA tournaments will be a bit later in the year.

I think it's very difficult for players to win an amateur tournament and then suddenly turn up for the professional season within such a short period of time. At the very least, they have to set up sponsorship deals to be able to afford it. Ideally, the professionals should be in place at least 2 months before the season starts, with only Q School the obvious exception.

Postby primitivesludge

Is this the EBSA thread? Watching a cracker between Boiko and Velian Dimitrov from Bulgaria in the U18s. In a decider. Dimitrov made a 50 break and then opted for a safety but caught the middle jaws on the way back to baulk. Boiko in with a chance to save his bacon!

Postby primitivesludge

and Dimitrov wins the safety battle at the end. Good grit.

5 UK/Ireland players in the QF of U18s - Liam Pullen, Leone Crowley, Paul Deaville, Liam Graham, and Liam Davies. Lorra Liams. Other three are Dimitrov (Bul), Mertens (Bel), and Kazakov (Ukr).

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:should also be noted the current edition was due to take place earlier in the year in poland but was delayed due to the war in ukraine.

Yes it is a strange timetable. Most likely, the players will get their tour card for 2023-24 and perhaps next year the EBSA tournaments will be a bit later in the year.

I think it's very difficult for players to win an amateur tournament and then suddenly turn up for the professional season within such a short period of time. At the very least, they have to set up sponsorship deals to be able to afford it. Ideally, the professionals should be in place at least 2 months before the season starts, with only Q School the obvious exception.

Places for both EBSA 1 and EBSA 2 in the Championship League draw. Possibly WST/WPBSA have made up their minds to give the winners tour cards for an immediate start? Or just entry into this one single event as an appetiser?

Postby SteveJJ

gninnur karona wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Places for both EBSA 1 and EBSA 2 in the Championship League draw. Possibly WST/WPBSA have made up their minds to give the winners tour cards for an immediate start? Or just entry into this one single event as an appetiser?

You'd hope that it would be for the whole season. I know we've already got Brown and Emery but this finishes before the African qualifier will be crowned.

Hopefully some flexibility.

If Kazakov faces Leclercq in a final, would the losing semi finalists have to play off for the tour card?

Postby HappyCamper

I've seen it reported by a couple people that there will be two additional cards for this season for the European champs. But nothing official from WPBSA or EBSA as far as I can see.

I think that would be nominally 133 on tour next year. Quite a lot.

Postby primitivesludge

Crowley beats Mertens in the U18 semis. Kazakov and Liam Davies having a good scrap in their semi. There has been some good play from the occasional check-ins I have done. You can see some of the natural talent in a slightly less-pressured environment.

Postby SteveJJ

Seeing as last year pro Boiko is playing in this, was there anything stopping the likes of Holt or Higginson entering?

Postby HappyCamper

SteveJJ wrote:Seeing as last year pro Boiko is playing in this, was there anything stopping the likes of Holt or Higginson entering?

there is a limit on the number of players each national body can nominate. maybe the england board didn't want to or otherwise couldn't replace any of the previous nominations from april when the original event was due to take place. ukraine maybe did, or just had a spare slot they could fill anyway.

Postby primitivesludge

it would be nice practice for a young'un or a jolly for an old lad but can't imagine it pays the bills for a pro. I suppose yeah it could be a backdoor for someone who failed at Q School. Maybe there's a limit?

Postby HappyCamper

HappyCamper wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Seeing as last year pro Boiko is playing in this, was there anything stopping the likes of Holt or Higginson entering?

there is a limit on the number of players each national body can nominate. maybe the england board didn't want to or otherwise couldn't replace any of the previous nominations from april when the original event was due to take place. ukraine maybe did, or just had a spare slot they could fill anyway.

aye. the epsb nominated based off of the english amateur tour.

https://www.epsb.co.uk/2022-ebsa-europe ... -announced

Postby SteveJJ

HappyCamper wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

aye. the epsb nominated based off of the english amateur tour.

https://www.epsb.co.uk/2022-ebsa-europe ... -announced

Thanks for confirming.

Assume Albania get more spots as hosts

Postby SteveJJ

U21 QF Latest

Kledio Kaçi 0-1 Aidan Murphy
Florin Nußle 1-0 Julian Leclercq
Ben Mertens 1-0 Iulian Boiko
Liam Pullen 1-0 Nicolas Mortreux

Postby SteveJJ

U21 QF Results

Kaci 2-4 Murphy
Nußle 4-2 Leclercq
Mertens 4-3 Boiko
Pullen 4-2 Mortreux

Postby Wildey

Aidan Murphy v Florian Nußle
Ben Mertens v Liam Pullen

The Winner gets a tour space

Florian Nußle at 20 the oldest player still there

Murphy and Mertens is 17 and Liam Pullen 16

This makes me feel old Pullen was Born after Shaun Murphy won the World Title in 2005

Postby Wildey

And Starting on Monday the main event to see who else wins a place on the Tour

Postby SteveJJ

Wildey wrote:Aidan Murphy v Florian Nußle

This makes me feel old Pullen was Born after Shaun Murphy won the World Title in 2005

Nußle in the final with a 4-1 victory.

Mertens currently 2-0 up

Postby SteveJJ

SteveJJ wrote:

Mertens currently 2-0 up

Have we had an Austrian pro before?

Postby HappyCamper

SteveJJ wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

Mertens currently 2-0 up

Have we had an Austrian pro before?

don't think so. closest might be dominic dale who lived in vienna for a time.

Postby SnookerEd25

Andreas Ploner? :chin:

He’s certainly played in a lot of pro’ events, but maybe only as a top-up? I’m sure somebody will be able to confirm one way or another

Postby Wildey

SnookerEd25 wrote:Andreas Ploner? :chin:

He’s certainly played in a lot of pro’ events, but maybe only as a top-up? I’m sure somebody will be able to confirm one way or another

He's Never played on Tour and He's never played in Big Tournaments he's played in PTC and The Likes of Gibraltar when they open to amateurs but his Q School performances were never that good to get him in as a Top-Up.

He played in the 2019 Riga Masters and lost 4-0 to Soheil Vahedi hes not played at that level since

Postby SnookerEd25

Wildey wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Andreas Ploner? :chin:

He's Never played on Tour and He's never played in Big Tournaments he's played in PTC and The Likes of Gibraltar when they open to amateurs but his Q School performances were never that good to get him in as a Top-Up.

He played in the 2019 Riga Masters and lost 4-0 to Soheil Vahedi hes not played at that level since

<ok>

Postby SteveJJ

Mertens wins 4-0.

Both Englishmen vanquished.

Austria v Belgium in the final for a tour place

Postby chengdufan

I think Nuessle is marginally the better player at the moment, but Mertens has more potential to stay on tour long term. It'll be interesting to see how it goes (not only in the final, but with the career of the one who turns pro).