Post a reply

Re: Q School 2023

Postby SteveJJ

snoopy2608 wrote:partial draw for Asia Q School on snooker.org

More of a Chinese presence this year with Gao Yang and Lei Peifan listed.

Former pro's Hamza Akbar, Ng On Yee and Wang Yuchen.

Good to see Lee Daegyu listed.

We will see who fills the gaps

Phetmalaikul trades British Q School for this.

Names not shown so far - Vahedi, Thor, Akani

Postby SteveJJ

SteveJJ wrote:

Thor is there!

Quite a good range of countries

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:

Yes, also missing are Kei Kamihashi, Luo Honghao, Kritsanut Lertsettayathorn, Khash Orchir Tuvshinjargal, Aung Phyo, Adi Mehta, etc.

Quite a few promising young Thai playes have quit in the last decade, as have several Chinese, but the Chinese delegation is surprisingly large.

Ng On Yee is the only woman, I think.

Postby lhpirnie

These are the top players in the Asia/Oceania Q School, according to my ranking lists:

5185 Peifan Lei (China)
5082 Gao Yang (China)
5066 Cheung Ka Wai (Hong Kong)
5058 Wang Yuchen (China)
5054 Amir Sarkhosh (Iran)
5044 Thor Chuan Leong (Malaysia)
4982 Yu Kiu Chang (Hong Kong)
4980 Lin Shuai (China)
4979 Manasawin Phetmalaikul (England)
4969 Ng On Yee (Hong Kong)
4968 Babar Masih (Pakistan)
4967 Ishpreet Singh Chadha (India)
4962 Hamza Akbar (Pakistan)
4955 Shrikrishna Suryanarayanan (India)
4945 Chau Hon Man (Hong Kong)
4944 Fung Kwok Wai (Hong Kong)
4937 He Guoqiang (China)
4924 Habib Subah (Bahrain)
4910 Pongsak Chongjairak (Thailand)
4905 Jefrey Roda (Philippines)

The full list is available on 'New Ideas for Snooker'.

Clearly, it's a lot weaker than the UK Q School.

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:These are the top players in the Asia/Oceania Q School, according to my ranking lists:

Which implies that you would expect the Asia QSchool qualifiers, on average, to do less well on tour than those who've come through UK QSchool.

2022-23 the UK QSchool qualifiers earned 191000 ranking points at an average of 1425.37 per player per event played, whilst the Asia QSchool qualifiers, who missed 14 events for which they were eligible (Home Office?), earned 37500 ranking points at an average of 1102.94 per player per event played.

Is the 322.43 difference broadly in line with what you would have anticipated once the QSchool qualifiers were known prior to the beginning of the 2022-23 season?

Postby lhpirnie

gninnur karona wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:These are the top players in the Asia/Oceania Q School, according to my ranking lists:

Which implies that you would expect the Asia QSchool qualifiers, on average, to do less well on tour than those who've come through UK QSchool.

2022-23 the UK QSchool qualifiers earned 191000 ranking points at an average of 1425.37 per player per event played, whilst the Asia QSchool qualifiers, who missed 14 events for which they were eligible (Home Office?), earned 37500 ranking points at an average of 1102.94 per player per event played.

Is the 322.43 difference broadly in line with what you would have anticipated once the QSchool qualifiers were known prior to the beginning of the 2022-23 season?

The Asia/Oceania Q School graduates actually performed much better than I would have predicted. This is probably because they learned a lot from the experience of playing full-time for the first time.

This time will be different, because China, Thailand and Hong Kong have sent a full delegation to Bangkok, which didn't happen last year (most likely due to the extremely late announcement of the entire concept).

The UK Q School players performed pretty much as predicted. None of them reached the top-64 on the 1-year list. There was a steady improvement by Aaron Hill and Zak Surety, but the rest just flatlines, or were worse.

There's a pretty good chance that all 12 of the 2022 Q School graduates will be relegated at the end of this season.

Postby stanley_

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

Yes, also missing are Kei Kamihashi, Luo Honghao, Kritsanut Lertsettayathorn, Khash Orchir Tuvshinjargal, Aung Phyo, Adi Mehta, etc.

Quite a few promising young Thai playes have quit in the last decade, as have several Chinese, but the Chinese delegation is surprisingly large.

Ng On Yee is the only woman, I think.

Two women according to Snooker.org (the other being Cheung Yee Ting who lost in the group stages of the Women's World Championship winning one out of three games).

All six former pros in the top half of the draw (Wang Yuchen, Lei Peifan, Ng On Yee, Gao Yang, Hamza Akbar, Thor Chuan Leong).

Postby chengdufan

I'm rooting for Milan Lama to come through Asia Q School. The tour needs more fashion-conscious Buddhists.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:I'm rooting for Milan Lama to come through Asia Q School. The tour needs more fashion-conscious Buddhists.

Yes it would be nice, but unfortunately he's objectively one of the weakest players in the draw. He'd need special powers of levitation to get through.