Post a reply

Re: Asia-Oceania Q School 1 & European Q School 2

Postby SteveJJ

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Jefrey Roda knocks in the highest break of the event, a 136, to go 3-2 up on Lei Peifan. 3 in a row for the Filipino cueman!

Lei hangs in to win 4-3. How did he do it? Roda was a bit unlucky in that tense decider.

Its not quite been the Chinese and Thai cakewalk some people predicted. At least event 1 hasn't been. Whilst I'm not sure how high the level of this Chinese cohort is, its heartening that there's been other nationalities beating or pushing them hard

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Jefrey Roda knocks in the highest break of the event, a 136, to go 3-2 up on Lei Peifan. 3 in a row for the Filipino cueman!

Lei hangs in to win 4-3. How did he do it? Roda was a bit unlucky in that tense decider.

Its not quite been the Chinese and Thai cakewalk some people predicted. At least event 1 hasn't been. Whilst I'm not sure how high the level of this Chinese cohort is, its heartening that there's been other nationalities beating or pushing them hard

Yes, the likes of Jefrey Roda and Dhruv Patel have improved a lot since I last saw them.

Actually, the Chinese cohort is quite weak. The young players lack competitive experience. What's been most disappoining is the performance of the Thai players, who have home advantage.

Postby SteveJJ

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Yes, the likes of Jefrey Roda and Dhruv Patel have improved a lot since I last saw them.

Actually, the Chinese cohort is quite weak. The young players lack competitive experience. What's been most disappoining is the performance of the Thai players, who have home advantage.

I think some of the better Thai's run into each other in event 2, so this was their better chance

Postby Wildey

Been on Tour in bold

Spot 5
Lei Peifan v Thor Chuan Leong

Spot 6
Cheung Ka Wai v M Phetmalaikul

SPOT 7
Stephen Kershaw v Alfie Davies
Dean Young v Sean McAllister
Haydon Pinhey v Tyler Rees
Umut Dikme v Florian Nuessle

SPOT 8
Ryan Davies v Keith Keldie
Wayne Townsend v Sydney Wilson
Louis Heathcote v Ben Fortey
Simon Bedford v Bai Yulu

Spot 9
Rory McLeod v Lewis Ullah
Robin Hull v Antoni Kowalski
Neal Jones v Daniel Holoyda
Niel Vincent v Stuart Carrington

Spot 10
James Lee v Iulian Boiko
Peter Lines v Chris Totten/Billy Joe Castle
Alfie Burden v Michael Holt
Harvey Chandler v Duane Jones

Postby Wildey

Simon Bedford v Bai Yulu

Bai 1-0

Simon Bedford's claim to fame is in the season Ronnie took a year out it was not strictly true he played one match in a PTC that one match was against Simon Bedford and Ronnie Lost i think it was 4-3.

Postby Wildey

SteveJJ wrote:How did Kershaw fare on tour? I don't remember him

He had 3 spells on tour Between 1993 and 2003 highest ever ranking 95 his biggest Scalp was a win against Kurt Maflin

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:What a achievement it would be if Bai Yulu gets to the final day of Q School and a match with Louis Heathcote

One step at a time. With someone inexperienced it can all fall apart very quickly, like Si Jiahui in the World Championship.

I think it would be a great achievement to get into Q Tour, and perhaps be high enough on the Order of Merit to appear in a few pro tournaments.

Postby stanley_

Whatever happens in this Q School with Bai Yulu, she certainly seems to have a huge amount of promise and probably the most potential of the women so far. Perhaps it helps that she's entering these tournaments so young as well.

I've totally forgotten, does the Asian Q School have any impact on top-ups or Q Tour places or is that purely decided by the European one? Do the players who narrowly miss out on qualification on the Asian Q School get anything at all or is simply four qualify?

Postby HappyCamper

stanley_ wrote:Whatever happens in this Q School with Bai Yulu, she certainly seems to have a huge amount of promise and probably the most potential of the women so far. Perhaps it helps that she's entering these tournaments so young as well.

I've totally forgotten, does the Asian Q School have any impact on top-ups or Q Tour places or is that purely decided by the European one? Do the players who narrowly miss out on qualification on the Asian Q School get anything at all or is simply four qualify?

Last season the top 8 not qualified from aspac got Q tour spaces.

Postby stanley_

HappyCamper wrote:
stanley_ wrote:Whatever happens in this Q School with Bai Yulu, she certainly seems to have a huge amount of promise and probably the most potential of the women so far. Perhaps it helps that she's entering these tournaments so young as well.

Ah, yes thanks. Unlikely that many, if any, will actually enter?

Postby Wildey

The_Abbott wrote:Duane Jones through to final day

Bai Yulu is out. 3-0 up at one stage - lost 4-3 to Bedford

she lost that match on tactics Bedford did tighten the screw to get back in to the match

Postby lhpirnie

stanley_ wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

Ah, yes thanks. Unlikely that many, if any, will actually enter?

Yes, they will nominally offer places on Q Tour, and perhaps consider them for top-up places, but in reality it will be the UK Q School which will provide the places. There will be VISA issues as well as the high costs that will scupper off the non-British players.
Last edited by lhpirnie on 06 Jun 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Been on Tour in bold

Spot 5
Lei Peifan v Thor Chuan Leong

Spot 6
Cheung Ka Wai v M Phetmalaikul

SPOT 7
Alfie Davies v Dean Young
Haydon Pinhey v Florian Nuessle

SPOT 8
Ryan Davies v Sydney Wilson