Post a reply

Asia-Oceania Q School 2 !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 7th of June~Monday 12th of June at the Morningside Arena, Leicester

The Final 2 places up for grasp this week who will join the other 10 players on Tour

Lei Peifan who came so close in the 1st Event must be faverite to get through But those are famous last words.

Who Qualifies?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY (Times in CEST)

Re: Asia-Oceania Q School 2 !!!

Postby roy142857

SteveJJ wrote:Ng On Yee 3-0 up.

Some who took part in event 1 are no shows.

Cheung Ka Wai through.

Roda 1-1

Both Jefrey Roda and Ng On Yee won, and Ng On Yee appears to have a walkover in next round and awaits Roda in Round 3 IF he can get past Amir Sarkhosh, who beat Thor Chuan Leong to win this years Asian Championship.

I guess I'm unsurprised no Australian or Mongolian players a this, but a bit disappointed. Nor some of the players from less obvious snooker countries who did well at the South East Asian games and who aren't that far from Thailand (Men Sophanith of Cambodia took bronze in the snooker having been beaten 4-2 by eventual winner Tour returnee Thor Chuan Leong, and was part of gold medal pairing in snooker doubles, and Siththideth Sakbieng of Laos took silver in the six red tournament, and was a quarter finalist in the main snooker).

Postby lhpirnie

roy142857 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Ng On Yee 3-0 up.

Some who took part in event 1 are no shows.

Cheung Ka Wai through.

Roda 1-1

Both Jefrey Roda and Ng On Yee won, and Ng On Yee appears to have a walkover in next round and awaits Roda in Round 3 IF he can get past Amir Sarkhosh, who beat Thor Chuan Leong to win this years Asian Championship.

I guess I'm unsurprised no Australian or Mongolian players a this, but a bit disappointed. Nor some of the players from less obvious snooker countries who did well at the South East Asian games and who aren't that far from Thailand (Men Sophanith of Cambodia took bronze in the snooker having been beaten 4-2 by eventual winner Tour returnee Thor Chuan Leong, and was part of gold medal pairing in snooker doubles, and Siththideth Sakbieng of Laos took silver in the six red tournament, and was a quarter finalist in the main snooker).

Yes, indeed it doesn't look like there were any players from 'Oceania' at all.

Some quite decent players, like Khash-Ochir Tuvshinjargal (Mongolia), Aung Phyo (Myanmar), Moh Keen Ho (Malaysia), Sunny Akani (Thailand), Marvin Lim (Singapore), Siththideth Sakbieng (Laos) and Kei Kamihashi (Japan) didn't enter. It's probably because the length (2 weeks) and associated costs. Turning professional anyway requires a huge amount of backing, and perhaps just not financially viable for those players.

Postby Womble

Can anyone enter this, wherever they are from? If so, it seems a bit odd. :chin:

Postby aimlesswandeer

Womble wrote:Can anyone enter this, wherever they are from? If so, it seems a bit odd. :chin:

Not sure what the criteria are. I would have thought representing an Asian or Oceanic nation would be mandatory. It is strange that event one gave us yet another English player on tour. I know he has dual nationality but still a bit odd from the Asian-Oceania q school.

Postby Womble

aimlesswandeer wrote:
Womble wrote:Can anyone enter this, wherever they are from? If so, it seems a bit odd. :chin:

Not sure what the criteria are. I would have thought representing an Asian or Oceanic nation would be mandatory. It is strange that event one gave us yet another English player on tour. I know he has dual nationality but still a bit odd from the Asian-Oceania q school.

Hopefully LHPIRNIE or someone will jump in and clear it up for us. <ok>

Anyway, I always look forward to seeing new faces every new season. :-)

Postby HappyCamper

All entrants must be the citizen of Asian and Oceania countries only, pay a 400 GBP entry fee, and have good standing with their national federation.

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:All entrants must be the citizen of Asian and Oceania countries only, pay a 400 GBP entry fee, and have good standing with their national federation.

Yes I believe their national federation gets to approve entry, except in cases where there isn't a national federation! They do have to supply a passport number, so there is at least that basic check. Obviously there would be no question for Manasawin Phetmalaikul as he does have a Thai passport, and Chusak has done so much for Thai snooker...!

Postby Womble

I'm sorry if this is a daft question. But I somehow got the idea that there were some English players competing in this. I can't even remember now how I got that idea. If I am wrong, could someone please put me right? Thanks. :-)

Postby lhpirnie

Womble wrote:I'm sorry if this is a daft question. But I somehow got the idea that there were some English players competing in this. I can't even remember now how I got that idea. If I am wrong, could someone please put me right? Thanks. :-)

No, Quid Phetmalaikul was listed as Brtitish on snooker.org, but has dual nationality. There are no doubts about any of the others: they are all from Asia (but none from Oceania).

Postby Womble

lhpirnie wrote:
Womble wrote:I'm sorry if this is a daft question. But I somehow got the idea that there were some English players competing in this. I can't even remember now how I got that idea. If I am wrong, could someone please put me right? Thanks. :-)

No, Quid Phetmalaikul was listed as Brtitish on snooker.org, but has dual nationality. There are no doubts about any of the others: they are all from Asia (but none from Oceania).

Ah. OK. That clears it up for me. Thank you. :-)

Postby SteveJJ

Womble wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

The recent Asia Pacific Championship was open to all, hence the likes of Peter Devlin entered

Postby Womble

SteveJJ wrote:
Womble wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

The recent Asia Pacific Championship was open to all, hence the likes of Peter Devlin entered

OK. Thanks. Maybe I was thinking of that. I can't remember now. LOL. <doh>

Postby roy142857

Roda lost to Amir Sarkhosh, not a massive surprise. Philippines still have Alvin Barbero in the competition. Sarkhosh next faces Ng On Yee.

Anyone else think the top half of the draw looks a lot deeper than the bottom half? Although with some good Chinese players in the bottom half (He, Lei Peifan, Wang Yuchen), I don't think whoever emerges will be undeserving. And maybe just my unfamiliarity with the other 'bottom half' players!

Postby SteveJJ

roy142857 wrote:Roda lost to Amir Sarkhosh, not a massive surprise. Philippines still have Alvin Barbero in the competition. Sarkhosh next faces Ng On Yee.

Anyone else think the top half of the draw looks a lot deeper than the bottom half? Although with some good Chinese players in the bottom half (He, Lei Peifan, Wang Yuchen), I don't think whoever emerges will be undeserving. And maybe just my unfamiliarity with the other 'bottom half' players!

Barbero wasn't far off Phetmalaikul in the first event.

Lei Peifan in a decider against Sattar Noor.

Postby roy142857

SteveJJ wrote:Peifan doubles the pink but Noor doubles the black...and favourite, Lei Peifan is out!

So Roda's out, but Noor who he beat 4-0 in Q School 1 is through ...

Postby SteveJJ

roy142857 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Peifan doubles the pink but Noor doubles the black...and favourite, Lei Peifan is out!

So Roda's out, but Noor who he beat 4-0 in Q School 1 is through ...

Yes, I only saw the decider. Peifan missed a few simple balls. Noor has a decent safety game, including laying snookers. Made a suspect shot choice on the colour he chose off last red. Not sure if he can score. Doubt he will qualify

Postby chengdufan

Funny that I could watch UK Q School but can't watch Asia. Seems the opposite for you guys

Postby SteveJJ

Gao Yang survives a decider.

Hamza Akbar is out.

Alvin Barbero is out.

Ng On Yee has a maximum attempt end on 104 and is 2-1 down to Sarkhosh.

Cheung Ka Wai is through

Postby SteveJJ

Ng On Yee loses 4-1.

Dhruv Jatan Patel is whitewashed after a good showing in event one.

Settling in to watch Alkamali v Pooltang.

Postby SteveJJ

Round 4 draw

Gao Yang v Cheung Ka Wai
Chau Hon Man v Huang Jiahao
Chang Yu Kiu v Awais Ullah Munir
Amir Sarkhosh v Ishpreet Chadha

Lee Tsz Ho v Muhammad Ahsan Javaid
Khalid Al Kamali v He Guoqiang
Gong Chenzhi v Mubashir Raza
Wang Yuchen v Zulfiqar Abdul Qadir

Each 3 matches from a tour card