Post a reply

Re: Q School 2019

Postby aimlesswandeer

A great comeback by young Latvian Rodion Judin who battled back from 3-0 down against Jeff Cundy to claim victory.

Postby Lemnas

The_Abbott wrote:Wang ZePeng V Andrew Pagett
Ian Preece v Andy Hicks
Qingtian Yang v Xu Si
Michael Wild v Daniel Womersley

One of these guaranteed a place on the tour. I think Xu Si is favourite although Ian Preece and Michael Wild have had some easy wins so far.

Agree on Xu Si, but Pagett has beaten good opponents as well.

Postby lhpirnie

aimlesswandeer wrote:A great comeback by young Latvian Rodion Judin who battled back from 3-0 down against Jeff Cundy to claim victory.

Yes Rodion Judin plays at the STAR Academy and shares a flat with Luo Honghao. Perhaps that's helped him.

Postby Wildey

aimlesswandeer wrote:Barry Pinches and Matthew Glasby took nearly four hours to complete their first four frames. It looks like Barry’s not changed.

Thats what wrong in Snooker today within fans and administration neither player was slow ok neither was fast either but if the balls are not there to be potted no avarage shot time will finish the match ad by fans constantly going on about length of matches and all that stuff that encourages Barry Hearn to make tables easy and then same fans complain about that.

Snooker Matches on the whole today are much much quicker than they were 20 or 30 years ago

Postby Lemnas

Lemnas wrote:Two surprises yesterday:
Lee Richardson defeats Steven Hallworth, who did well on the Challenge Tour.
Sanderson Lam loses to Quingtian Yang.
Quingtian's and Richardson's last entries on Cuetracker were in 2013.

Two more: Ross Muir and Chen Zifan losing 4-2 to amateurs without many notable results so far.

Postby Wildey

Persanally i dont see a problem with this kind of qualifying system apart from the points situation.

you talk about the 'Swiss' idea but every player in q school has 4 chances to qualify and the bottom line is finding competative players to play on tour that is the point of it.

Q School gives players a cut throat idea of what its like you dont get 3 chances to qualify for one tournament you lose your out and if players cant cut through q school players what chance have they got on tour anyway so tail between your legs and decide is this for me and come back stronger and better or find another job.

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:Persanally i dont see a problem with this kind of qualifying system apart from the points situation.

you talk about the 'Swiss' idea but every player in q school has 4 chances to qualify and the bottom line is finding competative players to play on tour that is the point of it.

Q School gives players a cut throat idea of what its like you dont get 3 chances to qualify for one tournament you lose your out and if players cant cut through q school players what chance have they got on tour anyway so tail between your legs and decide is this for me and come back stronger and better or find another job.

Well it's 'fair' in that each player has some chance, but they don't have equal chances, based on the draw, byes etc. It's particularly a problem with these 4 'Order of Merit' places. If you get a tough opponent in the first round and lose, then you're almost certainly eliminated from the OM route, whereas others get easier first-round draws.

I also don't like the way there are several days' gaps between matches: 18 days is way too long to take off work, book accommodation, especially for overseas players. Most players will play maybe 4 or 5 matches in 14 days, which is a really thin schedule considering their investment. I would prefer to give players plenty of matches, to build up their experience and strength, as well as providing a stern test for the contenders.

I do agree that it's very important to get the right players through qualification, otherwise it just creates cannon-fodder and damages the product. However the current system is too much of a lottery.

Postby Wildey

yea but who ever they play wont be tougher than Ronnie, Judd, Robbo, Selby etc

yea but problem is if every player plays 3 matches with 218 players how long will that take the hotel room situation wont be eased.

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:yea but who ever they play wont be tougher than Ronnie, Judd, Robbo, Selby etc

yea but problem is if every player plays 3 matches with 218 players how long will that take the hotel room situation wont be eased.

You can split the early rounds over different venues (e.g. China), which would have many additional benefits.

Postby lhpirnie

OK here is a quiz question for hard-core snooker nerds:

This was the Chinese junior team in 2013.

How many of these teenagers became professionals?

Postby Wildey

Cant say i recognise them all kids change a lot in 6 years but Zhou Yuelong, Lu Ning, yuan Sijun, Luo Honghao are definitly there

Postby HappyCamper

i don't see luo honghao?

ones i recognise
1 - lu ning
3 - niu zhuang
4 - yuan sijun
5 - zhang yong
6 - zhao xintong
8 - zhou yuelong

9 also rings a bell but can't be sure.

so i'll guess seven.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Wildey wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:Barry Pinches and Matthew Glasby took nearly four hours to complete their first four frames. It looks like Barry’s not changed.

Thats what wrong in Snooker today within fans and administration neither player was slow ok neither was fast either but if the balls are not there to be potted no avarage shot time will finish the match ad by fans constantly going on about length of matches and all that stuff that encourages Barry Hearn to make tables easy and then same fans complain about that.

Snooker Matches on the whole today are much much quicker than they were 20 or 30 years ago

Yes, but all Barry Pinches’ matches seem to be like that. He is not a good watch.

Postby aimlesswandeer

lhpirnie wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:A great comeback by young Latvian Rodion Judin who battled back from 3-0 down against Jeff Cundy to claim victory.

Yes Rodion Judin plays at the STAR Academy and shares a flat with Luo Honghao. Perhaps that's helped him.

He’s getting schooled by Lilley tonight though. Hopefully he can do well in the second tournament.

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:i don't see luo honghao?

ones i recognise
1 - lu ning
3 - niu zhuang
4 - yuan sijun
5 - zhang yong
6 - zhao xintong
8 - zhou yuelong

9 also rings a bell but can't be sure.

so i'll guess seven.

You've done well! Yes 9 is Fang Xiongman, and also 2 is Wang Yuchen. So the overall answer is 8 out of the 11.

However, numbers 10 and 11 are playing now in Q School: Lin Shuai and Wang Zepeng, so tomorrow the answer to the question might be 10, which is remarkable!

Postby Wildey

aimlesswandeer wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Yes, but all Barry Pinches’ matches seem to be like that. He is not a good watch.

Being slow does not equate to not being good to watch. i like to watch players fight for it sometimes i find the likes of Lisowski not good to watch because hes rolled over a few times

Postby HappyCamper

this si jiahui chap seems to have a bit of snooker about him. won all four matches without dropping a frame. couple of tonnes too. his next match against david lilley should be interesting.

Postby Wildey

HappyCamper wrote:this si jiahui chap seems to have a bit of snooker about him. won all four matches without dropping a frame. couple of tonnes too. his next match against david lilley should be interesting.

Yea David Lilley is old school at 43 ...27 years his senior

Postby aimlesswandeer

Wildey wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Being slow does not equate to not being good to watch. i like to watch players fight for it sometimes i find the likes of Lisowski not good to watch because hes rolled over a few times

I like a mixture but have always found Pinches very tiresome to watch.

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:this si jiahui chap seems to have a bit of snooker about him. won all four matches without dropping a frame. couple of tonnes too. his next match against david lilley should be interesting.

Yea David Lilley is old school at 43 ...27 years his senior

Si Jiahui is playing without fear. Most of the older players are playing with a great deal of fear. Tomorrow, he'll wake up and realise where he is, and start choking badly. He's not actually that highly rated in China in his age category: Wu Yize, Lei Peifan, Zhao Jianbo, Luo Zetao, etc. all higher.

Postby aimlesswandeer

English teen Sean Maddocks lost twice to Barry Pinches on the Challenge Tour but he looks like getting his revenge tonight.

It looks like a good number of the players that will go into the final day will be former tour pros.

Postby lhpirnie

aimlesswandeer wrote:English teen Sean Maddocks lost twice to Barry Pinches on the Challenge Tour but he looks like getting his revenge tonight.

It looks like a good number of the players that will go into the final day will be former tour pros.

Yes, but far fewer than I expected. I really thought we'd be seeing the same old faces again, but there are a surprising number of younger players. Let's not forget also that David Lilley has never actually been a pro, even though he played in many events this year.

Postby Wildey

The pool of up and coming players are very short and back in the day there was about 600+ pros that drifted away from the game are now trying their hand again when you see what can be done with the likes of David Gilbert who was in q school few years back now top 16 and World semi finalist.

Postby Wildey

The only time Si Jiahui has been seen playing at this level was at a Asian Tour event in 2015 he must have been only 12 and lost 4-2 to Au Chi Wai in a last 128

Postby aimlesswandeer

lhpirnie wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:English teen Sean Maddocks lost twice to Barry Pinches on the Challenge Tour but he looks like getting his revenge tonight.

Yes, but far fewer than I expected. I really thought we'd be seeing the same old faces again, but there are a surprising number of younger players. Let's not forget also that David Lilley has never actually been a pro, even though he played in many events this year.

Probably about half of the last sixteen will be former pros, and I’d expect at least two of the cards to go them. But yes, there are others like Ross Muir and Allan Taylor that I thought would go further.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Kleckers and Vahedi are both just two wins away from an immediate return. Two other drop-offs, Hugill and Davison, are liable to be their biggest threats.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Wang Zepeng is the only potential newcomer from the top quartet of the draw.

In the second quarter Akbar is the only former pro, though David Lilley has played in a few events.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Andreas Ploner has forced a decider from 3-0 down against Jamie O’Neill. The winner plays Shua Lin, with the winner of that playing Kleckers or (probably) Hugill.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Mingqi and Bulman, both teens, could meet in the last 16 with the winner playing Vahedi or Snowy.