Post a reply

Explanation: Level of players and routines

Postby Ander

I have divided the routines on this forum in 4 orientative levels:

Level 1 - BEGINNER (1-20 break player)
Level 2 - INTERMEDIATE (21-49 break player)
Level 3 - AMATEUR (50-99 break player)
Level 4 - PRO (100+ break player)

At the beginning of every routine, you'll find its name, its level and the section it belongs to. For example, on Christmas Tree, the first routine is Level 1. This doesn't mean that a Level 3 player shouldn't practise it, but he will take it as a bit of a warmup or go back to it when he's not feeling confident and needs to pot balls more easily or simply end a session on a high.

On the contrast, if we go to the last variant of Mercedes, we see it's for Level 3 players, and I wouldn't recommend it to a Level 1 player. It's virtually impossible to clear (or at least pot 25-30 balls) when you're on the 1-20 break range, so it would be like wasting time and getting frustrated when you can practise easier exercises like the Mercedes with just 9 reds.

Moreover, when you clear a routine for the first time, it doesn't mean you can automatically pass to the next level. It could've been luck and you're not actually ready for making that step. Try to finish a routine consistently or 5 times before advancing. For example, in that Mercedes routine, if you can't clear the table consistently with 15 reds (Level 2), there's no point in trying 15 reds + colours (Level 3), as positioning is more demanding and you'll see yourself very far from finishing.

Also, you have to take into account that if you are a Level 1 player, you can do a 1-20 break in competition, so you should be able to complete routines of next Level (21-49 break) in training. There are some players who can be very good on the practice table but struggle in competition; then I'd say you need counseling from a coach and receive a special plan to work on what's keeping you from making a step ahead. For instance, there's no point in trying to improve your break-building for 30 hours a week if your problem is psychology or concentration. In fact, every player needs a special plan to get the most out of training, but the routines you can see on this forum are very useful (and fun!) and will help everyone; from the person who has never practised properly to someone who likes to keep his head down and put in the hours.

Re: Explanation: Level of players and routines

Postby TheSaviour

I reckon that when I play well I just simply play too well at the times. AND that´s just my own opinion. When that happens I feel just completely awful and miserable about it. I am always going to require some beating, fair and square.

Now, let this great weather to go, and let the poor weather to arrive once again. Just get over it.