Post a reply

Re: Australian Goldfields Open Final !!!

Postby Skullman

Anyway, that's my brief flirtation with snooker done for the time being. Be ready and back in full swing when the season starts properly.

Postby Wildey

Sunday 5th of July

10am

Martin Gould 8-9 John Higgins

Disappointed for Gould but what a performance to push Higgins to 8-8 from 7-5 down only to lose unlike his Welsh Open title earlier this year Martin made John Higgins fight for it

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:So far, Higgins wins two ranking events in 2015.

Who'd have thought that in January?

Both wins has in common the fact so many top player miss fired but all credit to John to pick up the pieces and in many ways that what its all about making the most of every opportunity that comes his way.

Postby Skullman

He still was pushed and came through, 4-0 down against Jones plus Perry was probably the better player in their match and yet Higgins won.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:He still was pushed and came through, 4-0 down against Jones plus Perry was probably the better player in their match and yet Higgins won.

That is what separates Champions from Great Players.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:So far, Higgins wins two ranking events in 2015.

Who'd have thought that in January?

Both wins has in common the fact so many top player miss fired but all credit to John to pick up the pieces and in many ways that what its all about making the most of every opportunity that comes his way.

And Higgins didn't misfire. That's why he won.

Postby kolompar

Skullman wrote:He still was pushed and came through, 4-0 down against Jones plus Perry was probably the better player in their match and yet Higgins won.

What a great feat beating Joe Perry and Jamie Jones.

No snooker for a few weeks, so should we now go on vacation? :-D

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:Anyway, that's my brief flirtation with snooker done for the time being. Be ready and back in full swing when the season starts properly.

Ain't much on for a while now, is there?

Postby hendry_fan

Martin Gould 8-9 John Higgins.

Hard luck Martin,played very good stuff,was so close,but so far from grabbin his 1st ranking title.

YES,YESS,YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!.

Great stuff fae "The Wizard of Wishaw!.

Once again shows us all why he,s an absolute GREAT of the game,kept his cool and produced a nice frame winning break in the decider to win this tourney.

One really has to take there :hatoff: to the man,just when most thought he was well n truly gone,he out of nowhere wins the Welsh Open and now this,absolutey brilllllllllllllllllllllliant stuff.

As mentioned earlier,this win now puts him on level par with Ronnies tournament wins,(27),this will hopefully keep spurrin him to go on and win more and overtake him.

Verrrrrrrrrry well done John,it,s now time for me to get back outside,enjoy the summer and munch on the yummy fresh grapes i bought. :-D

:happy: :win: JOHN HIGGINS!. :win: :happy:

https://youtu.be/TwNTWaMHv2E

:happy:

Postby Andy Spark

Well done John Higgins! He played very well :-) ...but unfortunately I am going to have a slight rant.

I watched the tennis the other day and the skill/luck dynamic was very different to the way snooker has become in recent years. In tennis you have constant player scoring fluctuation, constant to and fro, a proper two player game. Snooker had this same sort of dynamic in the 70's/80's, but things have changed. :-( They need to TIGHTEN UP THE POCKETS because otherwise snooker is increasingly becoming a one player game with accompanying loss of competitiveness and increase of luck. I like to wonder if a player will pot a routine red or black off the spot, not know they almost certainly will!

Snooker is still a fantastic amateur sport, as great as it's ever been, but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the repetitive potting of the pro game at its very highest level.

Postby Skullman

The two sports will always be very different if only because tennis you can react to what the other player's doing, while in snooker if a player pots a ball and gets position, a Ronnie/Hendry is as helpless as an Ahmed Saif.

Don't know how you can say tennis is less luck based, as there are so many more variances that come from it being outdoors, marginal line calls etc.

Although, I do think pockets are a bit too generous these days.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Bloody hell, looks like I missed a cracking final!

Congratulations John Higgins.

I watched highlights of the first session, and will watch the 2nd later today or tomorrow.

Shame Gouldy didnt win, but all credit to Higgins, a bit like Ebdon did few years ago, he can still win the odd ranking title, and the fact he was behind Ronnie in number of rankers definately spurred him on.

I too hope this somehow inspires Ronnie, would be great if Ronnie could reach 30 rankers.

And no hendry_fan, it's also summer here and very hot I'll tell ya, above 30 degrees these days, so yeah Im enjoying the summer very much thank you.

But once again, congrats Higgins on your 27th ranking event title, and I just hope Gouldy keeps playing like this because if he does his first ranker shouldnt take too long to arrive.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:Well done John Higgins! He played very well :-) ...but unfortunately I am going to have a slight rant.

I watched the tennis the other day and the skill/luck dynamic was very different to the way snooker has become in recent years. In tennis you have constant player scoring fluctuation, constant to and fro, a proper two player game. Snooker had this same sort of dynamic in the 70's/80's, but things have changed. :-( They need to TIGHTEN UP THE POCKETS because otherwise snooker is increasingly becoming a one player game with accompanying loss of competitiveness and increase of luck. I like to wonder if a player will pot a routine red or black off the spot, not know they almost certainly will!

Snooker is still a fantastic amateur sport, as great as it's ever been, but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the repetitive potting of the pro game at its very highest level.

buck off and watch tennis and leave us alone <ok>

Postby Vallomas

A cracking final, congratulations to John Higgins for the character he showed, but also a big "hats off" to Martin Gould for the fight he gave.

I think that the turning points of the match was the 12th frame that John nicked with the fantastic 68 break he made and of course the 15th, with the pink Martin missed after the outrageous fluke with the red. But it was a fantastic game overall, that all the real snooker fans enjoyed, I feel.

I am a little gutted for Gould, he made such a good effort to win his first ranking title but it was not meant to be. He reminds me Joe Perry, who lost on the decider of previous season's first ranker and at last made it a few monthes later. I really hope that Gouldy will also manage to raise a trophy very soon.

Postby Muppet147

Wildey wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Well done John Higgins! He played very well :-) ...but unfortunately I am going to have a slight rant.

buck off and watch tennis and leave us alone <ok>

Please don't take this the wrong way but you need to be executed. <ok>