Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final: Ding Junhui v Mark Sel

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet wrote:

I don't come on here as often as the likes of you and Andre, but I am regularly looking over comments from you guys to keep in touch with how events are going. I don't watch as much snooker as you guys and you inform me as to how players are playing and what is happening on the tour.

I pretty much echo the above.

I bow down to most of your for your knowledge of the game and until this tournament I rarely bothered logging in because I felt I had nothing to add except the occasional rant aimed at Dennis Taylor.

I guess the last two weeks pretty much confirm that haha! Who knows when I'll next post but I'll be here lurking, like a pervert in the bushes with his idiot out.

Congratulations Selby and commiserations Ding. Two credits to this wonderful sport.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Centuries Records and one chance Snooker was not very often during that time its a art what selby does and have to be honest here if you dont appreciate what he does you dont appreciate the roots of snooker.

If you don't appreciate what Selby does you don't appreciate snooker full stop.

There's a difference between appreciation and enjoyment though.

Well put. I appreciate very much what Selby's doing, I even admire it. I just don't get any joy or excitement out of it.

I Do i absolutely loves the way players Grind their way to trophies i find it very exciting stuff i have to be honest

Roland the admin of this forum was a Jimmy White fan followed later by being a Mark Williams fan and he totally gets Selby way of playing and finds it exhilarating your missing out big time guys.

Sorry can't help but feel the way I feel. But that's alright - Ronnie and Selby and what they symbolise are basically the ying and yang of snooker - you need both to have a complete and well balanced sport. I think it's great that not every snooker fan is on the same page and there's real rivalry between the two camps. It's all part of the excitement.

fine its what rocks your boat but for me this is real snooker.

i love the breakbuilding etc but the sport not called potting or give us a break

Postby V.V

Robbo did not win anyone (seeded or unseeded), neither did smurphy. Trump and Ronnie won one unseeded player. Higgins won one unseeded and one seeded player. Ding won three seeded and one unseeded player BUT still lost to Selby.

There is no way of looking at it that would make Selby unworthy winner. The guys many have mentioned as better than Selby lost in the early rounds. It is not Selby's fault that he played against unseeded players - other players should have won these unseeded guys. Selby would have faced Sullivan had Sullivan won more matches - am I wrong?

The whole "easy draw" -thing does not make any sense ex posto facto. Wether the draw is easy or not must be judged before the tournament begins and judgement must be based on which players are potential opponents.

Great thing that Selby won. Of course he should have played better, but great grinding is great grinding.

Postby V.V

And if someone argues that Ding would have won had he not been exhausted after the qualifiers (as Worldsnooker article nearly suggests...) then only right answer is the question Why Ding was in qualifiers? Because he did not play well enough in past two years. If one plays like that, one cannot win the Masters title neither. Still no one is upset about someone outside top 16 not beng able to win the Masters.

Postby SnookerFan

The Sheffield theatre's tickets are sold out for the opening day, but there are a lot on See Tickets that haven't sold.

Could change my mind, but am fairly happy with my decision to not do Sheffield this year. Couldn't be fussed;

Barry is charging premium price for tickets near the front.
No way of telling what is a full match any more.
Takes me four hours in the coach, Cardiff is easier to get to.
Been for ten years in a row, appeal worn off.
The World Championship will be there until 2027, so I'm not missing my last chance to go.

Will do The Masters and Welsh Open next year, maybe try another one. Give Sheffield a break, let other people have a turn.

Postby SnookerFan

Enjoyed this World Championship. But Wednesday and Sunday I was a bit too over-drunk. I usually have a beer with the snooker, but really overdid it on those days. Seems a waste of good snooker being on the telly. (If you can call the Selby and Ding second session good.) Maybe need to watch that.

Still, did enjoy watching it. Bit glad to get back to real life now though. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Overall, I reckon it's been a marmite tournament, won by a marmite person.

I will be back for the new season (Ronnie's next tournament). Until then I'm gone and disappeared.

Your a marmite person and a sad bitter pathetic person go on go to buck Ronnie up the bottom i know you want to <ok>

Bloody idiot

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Overall, I reckon it's been a marmite tournament, won by a marmite person.

I will be back for the new season (Ronnie's next tournament). Until then I'm gone and disappeared.

Your a marmite person and a sad bitter pathetic person go on go to buck Ronnie up the bottom i know you want to <ok>

Bloody idiot

Wild's a mod. So when he tells you to buck Ronnie up the bottom, it's officially a forum directive. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Im Sorry But some Ronnie fans on this forum are the pits they dont like I am some twats but being Selby Haters should be accepted its a load of bullocks and i for one is fed up with it.

Ive Never EVER Hated Ronnie i love to watch him play but my God some Ronnie Fans make it so bucking easy to Hate them

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Im Sorry But some Ronnie fans on this forum are the pits they dont like I am some twats but being Selby Haters should be accepted its a load of bullocks and i for one is fed up with it.

Ive Never EVER Hated Ronnie i love to watch him play but my God Ronnie Fans in general make it so bucking easy to Hate them

I'm not disagreeing with you. :hatoff:

Postby Schadenfreude

Wildey wrote:Im Sorry But some Ronnie fans on this forum are the pits they dont like I am some twats but being Selby Haters should be accepted its a load of bullocks and i for one is fed up with it.

Ive Never EVER Hated Ronnie i love to watch him play but my God some Ronnie Fans make it so bucking easy to Hate them

Selbore's sluggish play will turn a lot of people off, you can't force people into liking him.

Last night he had opportunities to kill off the match but was playing safety shots instead, the general public don't warm to that, they want to see someone go for it.

Postby Cheshire Cat

There seems to be a bit of a stir going around, at least amongst my snooker club and those that I know who watched the final, about Mark's lack of celebration or visible joy in winning the title.

I didn't really know how to explain to my parents, who I sat and watched it with, why he looked like he didn't give a damn'. I just said that he's a serial winner and he's been there done that, or whatever, but I couldn't deny that the atmosphere at the end just felt so.. flat? For lack of better word. Dunno' how to describe it tbqh. But whatever, all that matters is the trophy really.

Postby snooker_loopy

There didn't appear to be many toilet breaks during the final. No wandering out the auditorium. Good to see. Past finals have seen the players disappear after most frames.

Re Mark Selby's reaction - It's not every day you win the World Championship title and your home football team win the Premier League. But I suppose he was depressed his Saturday national lottery numbers didn't win the jackpot.

No pleasing some folk! :pal:

Postby Wildey

Schadenfreude wrote:

Selbore's sluggish play will turn a lot of people off, you can't force people into liking him.

Last night he had opportunities to kill off the match but was playing safety shots instead, the general public don't warm to that, they want to see someone go for it.

You cant force people to like any player but for some reason if you dont like Ronnie and there are a lot that doesn't its some sort of hatefest instead of accepting what you just said.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie has nothing to do with his fans just like his fans got nothing to do with him.

Same goes for all players and fans. We're all snooker fans. Some Ronnie fans are idiots, but thats because he has so much more fans than any other player. Some Selby fans are elitist snooker hipsters who think that if you don't enjoy watching Selby grind you're not a real fan.. Others are just fans who enjoy tactical snooker and like Selby.

I'm a Alex Higgins, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Ding Junhui fan. But we are all snooker fans in the end. It's not Ronnie's fault he's so popular.

Postby snooker_loopy

I reckon there will be some young Chinese boys picking up a cue for the first time today. I'm sure Ding's journey to the final will inspire many more Chinese snooker players. When you think about what Ding has achieved, it makes Neil Robertson's WC win even more incredible. A guy from Australia won the WC. Australia - not known for its snooker players. All credit to Neil Robertson for his achievements in the game.

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:There seems to be a bit of a stir going around, at least amongst my snooker club and those that I know who watched the final, about Mark's lack of celebration or visible joy in winning the title.

I didn't really know how to explain to my parents, who I sat and watched it with, why he looked like he didn't give a damn'. I just said that he's a serial winner and he's been there done that, or whatever, but I couldn't deny that the atmosphere at the end just felt so.. flat? For lack of better word. Dunno' how to describe it tbqh. But whatever, all that matters is the trophy really.

He did do that Dennis Taylor finger thingy whilst towards Vikki.

Postby SnookerFan

Am I the only one who is a bit bored of this Ronnie vs Selby thing? I don't like Ronnie, as people on here will know. But I don't act like he can't play the game. That would be ridiculous. Do we have to pretend Selby can't play, just because he has a different style to Ronnie?

Also, there seems to be this thing where people have to take sides. Like I said, I'm not a Ronnie fan, but that bears no relevance to my opinion of Selby. Surely it's possible to like both, or dislike both?

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie has nothing to do with his fans just like his fans got nothing to do with him.

Same goes for all players and fans. We're all snooker fans. Some Ronnie fans are idiots, but thats because he has so much more fans than any other player. Some Selby fans are elitist snooker hipsters who think that if you don't enjoy watching Selby grind you're not a real fan.. Others are just fans who enjoy tactical snooker and like Selby.

I'm a Alex Higgins, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Ding Junhui fan. But we are all snooker fans in the end. It's not Ronnie's fault he's so popular.

nothing to do with popularity but i like to think all players no matter how they play deserve respect for what they done, the sheer effort Selby demonstrated to grind out this tournament win deserves as Much respect as anything this sport has ever had.

Postby pasunegirafe

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie has nothing to do with his fans just like his fans got nothing to do with him.

nothing to do with popularity but i like to think all players no matter how they play deserve respect for what they done, the sheer effort Selby demonstrated to grind out this tournament win deserves as Much respect as anything this sport has ever had.

I think that part of the reason why some fans here are so disrespectful is because they parrot the kind of language their favourite players use. Ronnie in the past has not been very complimentary of Selby's game (torturer, slow, boring, yadda yadda) and you see his fans repeat the same words ad nauseum. And unfortunately, some fans take it a step further and downright insult him.
Fans follow in the footsteps of their favourite player and if they hear him talk about other players in a certain way it shapes their views about those other players and they feel that kind of language is okay to use.

Postby Muppet147

Good post.

Selby's own brand of snooker is horrible to watch. But he doesn't care. Unlike entertainers like Ronnie O'Sullivan, he is quite happy if a frame drags on for over an hour.

Unlike you though, I quite enjoyed the tournament as a whole. There were some great matches and had Ding won, it would have been a great story. Too bad though, that a boring turd won it instead.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:Im Sorry But some Ronnie fans on this forum are the pits they dont like I am some hammers but being Selby Haters should be accepted its a load of bullocks and i for one is fed up with it.

Pure bullocks, as usual. :wave: