Post a reply

Re: The British Open Format

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:I might have mentioned this before elsewhere, but I always remember the season not really getting going until well into autumn (pre-Hearn era etc).

Is there a chance a lot of us have simply got used to there being so many tournaments now, so really we’re picking holes in summer tournaments that wouldn’t even have been scheduled a few years ago?

There will always be great tournaments and naff tournaments within a season. As far as the great ones go, I’m more interested in whether the Tour Championship will revert to its debut year full format, and if we’ll ever see the day the UK goes back to a longer format.

If it wasn’t called the British Open I wouldn’t care that much.

It’s a bit like Sports Direct buying the license for previously decent brands and then knocking out cheap crap knowing it’ll sell.

Postby SnookerEd25

the Sports Direct British Open :chin:

Got a nice ring to it <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:I might have mentioned this before elsewhere, but I always remember the season not really getting going until well into autumn (pre-Hearn era etc).

Is there a chance a lot of us have simply got used to there being so many tournaments now, so really we’re picking holes in summer tournaments that wouldn’t even have been scheduled a few years ago?

There will always be great tournaments and naff tournaments within a season. As far as the great ones go, I’m more interested in whether the Tour Championship will revert to its debut year full format, and if we’ll ever see the day the UK goes back to a longer format.

If it wasn’t called the British Open I wouldn’t care that much.

#parttimefan #casual

Postby Ronnie79

The TC will remain at it's current format because all the matches are played on one table over in 7 days why would they change it back ?. You could only watch half the matches. And no the UK won't be changing either

Postby Ronnie79

why does it matter what it's called ?. It is an event enjoy it or don't watch it. Jesus we are living in a covid world. More important things to worry about surely ?.

Postby Prop

Ronnie79 wrote:why does it matter what it's called ?. It is an event enjoy it or don't watch it. Jesus we are living in a covid world. More important things to worry about surely ?.

The world is a bit different at the moment, yes. And for most of us here snooker is a valuable bit of escapism from all the depressing crap going on. This is… you know… a snooker forum. Where we talk about snooker.

It’s a bit like walking into a library and criticising people for reading books.

Relax a bit.

Postby chengdufan

Ronnie79 wrote:why does it matter what it's called ?

Your local pub hasn't sold Guinness for a good number of years. You were OK with it because you didn't normally drink Guinness. You did enjoy it on occasion though.
Anyway, the pub makes a big announcement that Guinness is coming back and your heart has a little flutter. 'Oh, that's nice' you think and look forward to having a tipple.
You head to the pub with your friends, walk to the bar and order a round of Guinnesses. The barman smiles and hands over 4 pints of... Wait, is this... coke? 'No sir, it's Guinness. Sure, it looks and tastes like coke, and there's no alcohol in it, but I can assure you that it is Guinness'.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:why does it matter what it's called ?

Your local pub hasn't sold Guinness for a good number of years. You were OK with it because you didn't normally drink Guinness. You did enjoy it on occasion though.
Anyway, the pub makes a big announcement that Guinness is coming back and your heart has a little flutter. 'Oh, that's nice' you think and look forward to having a tipple.
You head to the pub with your friends, walk to the bar and order a round of Guinnesses. The barman smiles and hands over 4 pints of... Wait, is this... coke? 'No sir, it's Guinness. Sure, it looks and tastes like coke, and there's no alcohol in it, but I can assure you that it is Guinness'.

And then someone walks in and chastises the drinkers for drinking.

Postby Juddernaut88

Prop wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:why does it matter what it's called ?. It is an event enjoy it or don't watch it. Jesus we are living in a covid world. More important things to worry about surely ?.

The world is a bit different at the moment, yes. And for most of us here snooker is a valuable bit of escapism from all the depressing crap going on. This is… you know… a snooker forum. Where we talk about snooker.

It’s a bit like walking into a library and criticising people for reading books.

Relax a bit.

:goodpost:

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:HOW DARE YOU ALL HAVE OPINIONS ON SNOOKER?

TOOK ABOUT COVID AND NOTHING ELSE!

Am I allowed to say championship league is the best?

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:

NO!

COVID ONLY! :grrr:

Postby Iranu

Bungke

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

NO!

COVID ONLY! :grrr:

:sad:

Postby SnookerEd25

TOOK about? :hmmm:

BUNGKE, sadly :sad: