Post a reply

2024/25 World Snooker Calendar

Postby fridge46

WST released the provisional 2024/25 Calendar

Finals dates:

10/JUN - 03/JUL: Championship League Snooker
??/JUL - ??/JUL: Shanghai Masters (non-Ranking)

19/AUG - 25/AUG: Xi'an Grand Prix
31/Aug - 07/SEP: Saudi Arabia Snooker Masters

16/SEP - 22/SEP: English Open
23/SEP - 30/SEP: British Open

07/OCT - 13/OCT: Wuhan Open
20/OCT - 27/OCT: Northern Ireland Open

03/NOV - 10/NOV: International Championship
11/NOV - 17/NOV: Champion of Champions (non-Ranking)
23/NOV - 01/DEC: UK Championship

04/DEC - 07/DEC: Shoot Out
09/DEC - 15/DEC: Scottish Open

12/JAN - 19/JAN: Masters (non-Ranking)
27/JAN - 02/FEB: German Masters

03/MAR - 09/MAR: World Open
17/MAR - 23/MAR: Players Championship
31/MAR - 06/APR: Tour Championship

19/APR - 05/MAY: World Championship

Events still to be scheduled in 2025: Welsh Open, World Grand Prix

Missing events: European Masters

Calendar view:

Last edited by fridge46 on 05 Apr 2024, edited 3 times in total.

Re: 2024/25 World Snooker Calendar

Postby The_Abbott

Juddernaut88 wrote:God do we still need to have the ranking event version of the championship league?

YES :mood:

Postby snoopy2608

do we think European Masters is no more.

So Welsh and Grand Prix will be in February presumably.

I wonder if there might be an event eg. China Open between Players and Tour Champs - otherwise Tour Championship seems pointless

Postby SnookerEd25

The_Abbott wrote:yay kicking off with a Championshit League :happy:

I’ll say this for it - at least all the balls are regulation colours :D

Postby fridge46

Previous dates of the European Masters:

16/17: October, Romania
17/18: October, Belgium
18/19: October, Belgium
19/20: January, Austria
20/21: September, Milton Keynes
21/22: February, Milton Keynes
22/23: August, Germany
23/24: August, Germany

So its not entirely inconceivable that this years edition could be held in early 2025. We could have:

European Masters and Welsh Open qualifiers before the Masters
World Grand Prix between Masters and German Masters
Welsh Open and European Masters back-to-back in mid-February
World Championship qualifiers will probably start on April 7th

Then that leaves the Tour Championship....

Postby Wildey

This season there were 3 Ranking Titles before October Next Season there will be 5 and Big Money events too if a Player hits the Ground Running Next Season by September they will be in the Tour Championship.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Trying to plan some visits already.

If we ask nicely, might we be able to coax some updates out of you? :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

I'll update you. Through that window.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:I hope the Welsh Open returns south

Kind of easier for me to get to too.

Llandudno has hosted quite a lot of the tournaments over the years, so it's not outside the realmst of possibility that you could have one tournament in Lladudno and a different one in South Wales.

I did hear rumours on Twitter that the Players Championship was going to Swansea, but obviously, I don't know how accurate seeing somebody say it on Twitter is going to be.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

I'll update you. Through that window.

:kiss:

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:I hope the Welsh Open returns south

Kind of easier for me to get to too.

Llandudno has hosted quite a lot of the tournaments over the years, so it's not outside the realmst of possibility that you could have one tournament in Lladudno and a different one in South Wales.

I did hear rumours on Twitter that the Players Championship was going to Swansea, but obviously, I don't know how accurate seeing somebody say it on Twitter is going to be.

probably not that accurate as they are selling tickets for the players championship in telford again.

Postby Prop

To be fair to SF, WST constantly changing venues doesn’t help. Certain tournaments develop an identity over time, largely because they stay in one place over the course of a few seasons. Combine that with the fact that the presentation of most tournaments is now rather formulaic - same sponsors, same ‘series’, same graphics - and it just feels like the same old thing on repeat, that happens to be in whatever venue WST could arrange for the best cost at the time.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:To be fair to SF, WST constantly changing venues doesn’t help. Certain tournaments develop an identity over time, largely because they stay in one place over the course of a few seasons. Combine that with the fact that the presentation of most tournaments is now rather formulaic - same sponsors, same ‘series’, same graphics - and it just feels like the same old thing on repeat, that happens to be in whatever venue WST could arrange for the best cost at the time.

I kind of object to them doing this. I'm not saying never move a tournament, but there's no need to do it as regularly as they do. And, I mean they swap the venues around. Llandundo has hosted loads of different tournaments. Including the Scottish Open. Of course they are going to merge into one. Especially when they often have the same sponsor.

It's like me going to the World Grand Prix final in Preston second weekend of February. The next year, I went to the Players Championship in Preston. Second weekend of February. <laugh> They're not even trying to differentiate them.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:To be fair to SF, WST constantly changing venues doesn’t help. Certain tournaments develop an identity over time, largely because they stay in one place over the course of a few seasons. Combine that with the fact that the presentation of most tournaments is now rather formulaic - same sponsors, same ‘series’, same graphics - and it just feels like the same old thing on repeat, that happens to be in whatever venue WST could arrange for the best cost at the time.

I kind of object to them doing this. I'm not saying never move a tournament, but there's no need to do it as regularly as they do. And, I mean they swap the venues around. Llandundo has hosted loads of different tournaments. Including the Scottish Open. Of course they are going to merge into one. Especially when they often have the same sponsor.

It's like me going to the World Grand Prix final in Preston second weekend of February. The next year, I went to the Players Championship in Preston. Second weekend of February. <laugh> They're not even trying to differentiate them.

They’re trying to make you feel at home in the wrong thread.

Got to respect that, no?

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Got to respect that, no?

More than I respect you. :grrr:

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Got to respect that, no?

More than I respect you. :grrr:

Well I’ll just have to live with your scorn and contempt :sad:

Postby gninnur karona

Additional events are welcome.

Shouldn't this be the moment though to rethink the calendar.

The calendar would be much improved by reverting the British events to hosting entire 128 player fields at the venue. Removing those qualifiers for British events would effectively de-clutter the calendar.

A specific area of the calendar that looks ridiculous? The scheduled qualifiers at Leicester for the Wuhan Open and British Open in the week between the Xi'an Grand Prix and the Saudi Arabia Masters.

Postby fridge46

I don't like the qualifiers format at all, in terms of timing/dates/etc - there's no consistancy.

Compare events that have the same structure, Scottish and British Open for example (Scottish qualies are held over 4 days, 6 weeks in advance; whilst the British qualies are played over 2 days, 3 weeks before the finals).

And then there's qualies for the Chinese events. If Xi'an and International Championship can have their qualifiers 1 month in advance, I dont understand why the World Open ones are 2.5 months earlier than the venue stage.

It does make me scratch my head when theres multiple tables at the venue (4/5/6+) whilst qualifiers can sometimes use just 2 (I think this years British Open Q had just two tables, took 6 days to complete!).

Maybe we need a "Design your own Calendar" thread to keep us entertained this off-season.

Postby The_Abbott

mack501 wrote:And still no ranking tournament in Belgium.

I think this will happen once a Belgium player wins the World Snooker Championships :chin: