Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Final : Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:We witnessed the return of the (snooker) King!

He's not the King just getting to the semis.

I'm not talking about his tournament progress. His performance today was a statement.

And if ended up getting beat by Higgins or Robbo/Trump over the weekend what statement would that make?

We will see should that happen. Ronnie just beat the world no 1 and currently biggest rival at his favourite tournament including a mind-boggling clearance to win after taking half a year off.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 14 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:We witnessed the return of the (snooker) King!

He's not the King just getting to the semis.

I'm not talking about his tournament progress. His performance today was a statement.

And if ended up getting beat by Higgins or Robbo/Trump over the weekend what statement would that make?

You're right that this victory would mean nothing if he loses in the semis or final but he's still sending a message to the other players that he's still there, capable of beating anyone and still playing as good as he ever did.

Postby Cheshire Cat

I seem to recall a certain Mr Hendry saying during the 2013 WC that the sign of a player in good form after he's had time off is when he's able to pinch and clear up frames. If that wasn't a clearance and a half, I don't know what is.

Kudos to Selby, he just came up against Ronnie on top form today.

Postby Muppet147

Andre147 wrote:What an incredible clearance that was, just :bowdown:

Under pressure, it probably is one of Ronnie's finest clearances, especially some of the shots he had to pull off there.

Selby was just outplayed today, Ronnie's long potting if not 100% was pretty close to it. Selby ran out of position very often, plus his break off shots the first 3 frames he did them were just amateurish.

Very very happy for this result. :happy:

RONNIE :D :happy: :D

This one was special but I think the best O'Sullivan clearance I've seen was the one he did against Higginson in the German Masters when he was 4-0 down. He had balls on cushions to move and won it on the black, before winning the match 5-4.

And he went on to win the tournament.

Postby mantorok

Muppet147 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:What an incredible clearance that was, just :bowdown:

Under pressure, it probably is one of Ronnie's finest clearances, especially some of the shots he had to pull off there.

Selby was just outplayed today, Ronnie's long potting if not 100% was pretty close to it. Selby ran out of position very often, plus his break off shots the first 3 frames he did them were just amateurish.

Very very happy for this result. :happy:

RONNIE :D :happy: :D

This one was special but I think the best O'Sullivan clearance I've seen was the one he did against Higginson in the German Masters when he was 4-0 down. He had balls on cushions to move and won it on the black, before winning the match 5-4.

And he went on to win the tournament.

Does anyone have a video link to that clearance? I never saw it.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:There were question marks over Ronnie after a poor 2015 and the "decline" discussions were in full flow again. Wins like today send the message that Ronnie is still a force to be reckoned with in the majors.

Does it? Decline doesn't mean playing badly all the time. Higgins in his lost years between 2011 WC and last year still won the Shanghai Masters playing brilliantly, but he couldn't do it consistently anymore. You can't really look at one match/week and then decide a decline has stopped.

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:I'm watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother on E4.

Before Andre starts, I know it's a repeat. I'm watching it on a UK TV channel, I'm not claiming to stream a new episode from the US. :wave:

How I Met Your Mother has finished hasn't it?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:There were question marks over Ronnie after a poor 2015 and the "decline" discussions were in full flow again. Wins like today send the message that Ronnie is still a force to be reckoned with in the majors.

Does it? Decline doesn't mean playing badly all the time. Higgins in his lost years between 2011 WC and last year still won the Shanghai Masters playing brilliantly, but he couldn't do it consistently anymore. You can't really look at one match/week and then decide a decline has stopped.

Ronnie doesn't have to dominate a whole season, he doesn't have the drive to do that any more. I'm more than happy if Ronnie can still string together a couple of great wins in a major, that's all I want. And today he showed that he can still win the big matches against the very best - something that wasn't entirely certain after last year.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Mark looked kind of 'off' today IMO from frame one. Parrott said it was nerves, but I dunno'. One of the only other times I can remember Selby showing frustration lately was back in the Intl Championships in 2015 when he couldn't kill off a very poor Robbo, but seeing him stamp after that missed cannon there in frame 9 was just a little surprising. He was really under it something serious though with Ronnie's general play today, so, I can't blame him.