Post a reply

World Seniors Championship

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
QUALIFYING Monday 21st ~ Tuesday 22nd of December 2015 at the Robin Park Arena and Sports Centre, Wigan

MAIN STAGES Saturday 30th ~ Sunday 31st of January 2016 at the Guild Hall in Preston

The First Winner of the Seniors World Championship was Cliff Wilson in 1991 just 3 years before he died at the age of 60.

there was 19 years before the tournament was re established in 2010 with Jimmy White taking the crown. Since then its been played every year with Darren Morgan, Nigel Bond, Steve Davis and Mark Williams winning.

Who will Win in 2016?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: World Seniors Championship

Postby kolompar

I tried to watch Tony Drago but I don't have a World Snooker subscription, bet365 and Snookerroom didn't show the matches and Fromsport only had the other one. He won 2-1.

Postby PoolBoy

Cut-and-paste from my earlier post in a different thread. (updated with eliminated players)

It's a 16-man knock-out format, with 8 players automatically qualified.
(former World Champions or previous winners of this competition)

Mark Williams (title holder)
Nigel Bond
Ken Doherty
Joe Johnson
Peter Ebdon
Darren Morgan
John Parrott
Jimmy White

They'll be joined by 8 qualifiers - no Steve Davis this year! :shrug:
But, a remarkable number of tour players competing - I can only assume the £18k winners cheque is one they all reckon they could take-home, in the short (3 frame) format.
Obviously, it doesn't count towards their ranking money, but It's actually a good 'pay day' - the equivalent of a ranking semi-final or the UK Championship quarter-final.

Some of the former pros to enter:
Craig MacGillivray
Dessie Sheehan
Tony Chappel
Adrian Rosa
David McLellan
Paul McPhillips
Les Dodd
Gary Wilkinson
Ian Brumby
Dean Reynolds
Tony Knowles
Darryn Walker
Patsy Fagan

And current pros who've entered:
Tony Drago
Barry Pinches
Gerard Greene
Lee Walker
Jason Weston
Mark Davis
Mike Dunn
Anthony Hamilton
Mark King
Joe Swail
Peter Lines
Rory McLeod
Rod Lawler
Jamie Burnett
Robert Milkins
Fergal O'Brien
Dominic Dale

Postby Andre147

Higgins and Ronnie should have entered this and maybe one of them do a Williams like last year rofl

Only joking of course, at least Ronnie's case glad he didn't enter this farce, he'll have plenty of time to do it when he definately retires from the professional game.

Williams' best chance of winning a title these days so not surprised if he enters again. :john:

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Higgins and Ronnie should have entered this and maybe one of them do a Williams like last year rofl

Only joking of course, at least Ronnie's case glad he didn't enter this farce, he'll have plenty of time to do it when he definately retires from the professional game.

Williams' best chance of winning a title these days so not surprised if he enters again. :john:

Ronnie should've done it, just to troll his fans.

Skips the CoC and the UK Championship, enters Snooker Seniors. rofl

Postby kolompar

kolompar wrote:I tried to watch Tony Drago but I don't have a World Snooker subscription, bet365 and Snookerroom didn't show the matches and Fromsport only had the other one. He won 2-1.

Now I saw him pot the last black after a safety error from his opponent. Peter Lines next.

Andre147 wrote:Higgins and Ronnie should have entered this and maybe one of them do a Williams like last year rofl

Makes Williams look a bit stupid that even Hendry and Davis didn't enter.

Postby PoolBoy

Final qualifiers:
Dominic Dale v Jamie Bodle (amateur)
Mark Davis v Gary Wilkinson (former Pro)
Robert Milkins v Les Dodd (former Pro)
Mark King v Gary Lees (amateur)
Anthony Hamilton v Tony Chappel (former Pro)
Peter Lines v Tony Drago
Fergal O'Brien v Wayne Brown (former Pro)
Rod Lawler v Rory McLeod

Postby PoolBoy

The field is complete! 12 of the 16 are current tour professionals...not sure this is what the 'seniors' was really intended for!
The 4 non-tour players are John Parrott, Darren Morgan, Joe Johnson and Gary Lees.
I've a feeling Drago will be 'well up' for this and will feel that with all games being first-to-2, he's got a chance of winning it!

Anthony Hamilton
Darren Morgan
Dominic Dale
Fergal O'Brien
Gary Lees
Jimmy White
Joe Johnson
John Parrott
Ken Doherty
Mark Davis
Mark Williams
Nigel Bond
Peter Ebdon
Robert Milkins
Rory McLeod
Tony Drago

Postby SnookerFan

I'd probably go to Preston to watch this if I didn't have prior plans for that date.

I enjoyed my trips to Portsmouth, even if the snooker was a bit naff. :chuckle:

Decent pubs in Portsmouth. :-D

Postby kolompar

PoolBoy wrote:I've a feeling Drago will be 'well up' for this and will feel that with all games being first-to-2, he's got a chance of winning it!

I hope you're right :D
He's got a tough draw though, he will play Milkins - I didn't even know he was over 40 (he isn't <laugh> ). Against him he won't even have the advantage of a shot clock.

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:I've a feeling Drago will be 'well up' for this and will feel that with all games being first-to-2, he's got a chance of winning it!

He's got a tough draw though, he will play Milkins - I didn't even know he was over 40 (he isn't <laugh> ). Against him he won't even have the advantage of a shot clock.

Postby motorhead

SnookerFan wrote:
kolompar wrote:

ahaha thanks for sharing. why the hell did he concede lol

Postby SnookerFan

Dunno how much of this I'll see.

It's funny. The only Snooker Seniors I ever watch is if I attend live, otherwise I don't bother.

Postby QSM

They should really use a minimum age-limit of 45 for this. (and maybe a rule of not being in the world top-32 or something like that)
Ebdon v Bond has been a real stinker so far. But the other 3 afternoon matches look more appealing.

Postby QSM

One of Williams' sponsor stickers came off and he has put it on the back of the referee without the latter noticing. :clap: :D

Postby kolompar

Williams lost after winning the first frame, wasn't a really good match.
Hopefully the Tornado won't disappoint :D

Postby kolompar

SnookerFan wrote:Do they ever have matches in the Seniors that are that good?

Williams could have done better, he's only 40 and still a top 16 player.

Like Milkins, who's just knocked in an 86.