Post a reply

New cue and coaching with an ex-pro

Postby Dan-cat

Last night in my club I bumped into Imran Majid, the self-styled Maharajah of Pool. He was also once a snooker pro.

I mentioned to him I was looking for a cue and he has quite the collection.

He's offered me a one-piece custom made Vanguard for £400, including metal case, worth £150.
He told me that he beat Mark WIlliams with it, and made a 147 in practice.

I will upload some pics.

Shall I buy it?

Re: Iv'e been offered a Vanguard cue - help!

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:What is your heart telling you? x

Buy it... before I was given a cue tonight!

It was so strange what happened. All the house cues have been taken behind the bar and they need to be sanitized, fair enough. So you can ask for one and they just give you one and hope for the best. Usually I would grab about 5 from the rack and find the straightest, no such luxury in this current climate.

I was meeting a guy who used to work at the club, who once did a few hours for me, sorta work experience, taking minutes in a meeting, but I'd promised to pay him £50. It was about a week before my life got switched turned upside down and I bailed to Spain and I never paid him. I got his number yesterday and said I was back and I had his nifty, and he was really chuffed and we agreed to meet today and have a few games of pool.

Part of my journey here in London this time has been a bit of a path of redemption, looking up people I've let down and making amends. Keeping my word.

I was handed a really nice cue from behind the bar with a joint just above the butt, the classic three-quarter joint. This was odd for a start, as all the house cues are one piece. I took a few shots with it, loved the weight, the tip, really nice bit of kit. Where did this cue come from?

The maintenance guy who is part of the furniture, and I always speak to when I'm there, wandered over and I said to him, 'look I know that you can buy house cues, can I buy this one?' He took a look at it and said 'give me a minute,' and went to speak to the manager. When he returned he said 'Dan, you can have this cue. I'll grab you a case.'

Keep your word, do good things, the universe pays you back.

Re: Iv'e been offered a Vanguard cue - help!

Postby Dan-cat

I cancelled the Vanguard. Imran was gonna bring it up on Friday (I got a best of 11.)

Gonna do a couple of hours coaching with him next week. We watched the Ronnie / Taylor match together at the club, and the way he described Ronnie's shot selection and positional play... I just thought I need this guy on my team.

He had a bet on Ronnie to make a century in the first 4 frames, and we both watched as he failed... and then made one in the 5th. Lolz.

Re: New cue and coaching with an ex-pro

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:Changed the subject line. Will report on my first coaching session with Imran and my new Buffalo cue.

What tip are you putting on? I recommend a Century. They go from G1 (soft) to G5 (custom super hard). I’ve had most success with a G2. Plenty of pros use them. Good luck mate.

Postby rekoons

Dan-cat wrote:Changed the subject line. Will report on my first coaching session with Imran and my new Buffalo cue.

<ok> excellent idea, please share every little nugget of gold you can learn from him here!

Postby GeF

Dan-cat wrote:He's offered me a one-piece custom made Vanguard for £400, including metal case, worth £150.
He told me that he beat Mark WIlliams with it, and made a 147 in practice.

I will upload some pics.

Shall I buy it?

You may be aware that, if you buy it, there is no guarantee you'll beat MJW or make a 147...

Postby sundaygirl

So glad you have, the misplaced apostrophe in the original was upsetting me.