Post a reply

Re: Post Pictures of Your Cues

Postby Holden Chinaski

Master Blaster wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Thanks Master Blaster, I love my cue. I think it looks classy as well. Love the snake wood.

I'm sure the shaft is ultra smooth on the bridge. The Thai cue makers like Kong really know how to finish ash so that it almost feels like maple.

Yep, the ash feels super smooth! <ok>

Postby Master Blaster

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Thanks Master Blaster, I love my cue. I think it looks classy as well. Love the snake wood.

I'm sure the shaft is ultra smooth on the bridge. The Thai cue makers like Kong really know how to finish ash so that it almost feels like maple.

Yep, the ash feels super smooth! <ok>

Yep, a lot of the Thai makers like cutting along a growth ring to produce a flat belly, or underside with very few chevrons; no bumps. Makes an uber smooth finish. I had a Phoenix, same sort of finish, lovely.

Postby Master Blaster

My player: Powerglide Purist from the mid-80s, unweighted at 17oz. Ebony over 'Angel :innocent: Ash'; ash from Powerglide's (now defunct) stock of air-dried English ash boards at 12-24 years old (before cutting into blanks). Very woody feel. 7 layers of lacquer on the butt. Buffalo Diamond Plus on top, my favourite tip.

Unweighted at 17oz, no joint, no hammer dullness. :innocent:

Here's that fat taper shaft, pure English angel, ash too precious to be oven cooked! :innocent:

Postby Master Blaster

Holden Chinaski wrote:Wow, very nice cue, Master Blaster! I love vintage cues.

I'll post an EJ Riley trapezoidal and JD147 once a few others have had a turn. lol And my old player; a Phoenix, which has that lovely Thai finish you know so well from your lovely GBL.

Postby Cue Guru

Gents, some nice bits of timber pictured on the forum now. Not sure about Pink's bad lovely lady though, pulling our legs I think. Looking fwd to seeing Snooky's, Andres's, Wildey's and the site owner's cues. :hatoff:
Last edited by Cue Guru on 06 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tonsgalore

Master Blaster wrote:My player: Powerglide Purist from the mid-80s, unweighted at 17oz. Ebony over 'Angel :innocent: Ash'; ash from Powerglide's (now defunct) stock of air-dried English ash boards at 12-24 years old (before cutting into blanks). Very woody feel. 7 layers of lacquer on the butt. Buffalo Diamond Plus on top, my favourite tip.

Unweighted at 17oz, no joint, no hammer dullness. :innocent:

Here's that fat taper shaft, pure English angel, ash too precious to be oven cooked! :innocent:

Cues do not come better than this.

Postby eraserhead

This is my Dad's old one I play with, no info on the specs as he didn't play to much.

Postby Cue Guru

eraserhead wrote:Image
This is my Dad's old one I play with, no info on the specs as he didn't play to much.

So, it looks like a machine spliced rosewood over ash. I'm not sure about the front wedge or the two vaneers, what are they, do you know? One of them may be maple I guess.

This cue looks like a very interesting number from the 70s, though I'm not sure.

Is there any info. on the cue plate about the maker or the cue please? It does smell a little like a Riley Burwat or could it be a Powerglide?!

How does it play?

Postby eraserhead

Cue Guru wrote:So, it looks like a machine spliced rosewood over ash. I'm not sure about the front wedge or the two vaneers, what are they, do you know? One of them may be maple I guess.

This cue looks like a very interesting number from the 70s, though I'm not sure.

Is there any info. on the cue plate about the maker or the cue please? It does smell a little like a Riley Burwat or could it be a Powerglide?!

How does it play?

The plate has faded the only thing I can make out on it is Gold Star.

As for how it plays I'm not good on anything technical and I never play matches just have a knock about in a village hall once or twice a week, so I wouldn't be able to tell you.

I'm going to start trying some of the things in that 10-20 break thread and see if I can improve

Postby Cue Guru

eraserhead wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:So, it looks like a machine spliced rosewood over ash. I'm not sure about the front wedge or the two vaneers, what are they, do you know? One of them may be maple I guess.

How does it play?

The plate has faded the only thing I can make out on it is Gold Star.

As for how it plays I'm not good on anything technical and I never play matches just have a knock about in a village hall once or twice a week, so I wouldn't be able to tell you.

I'm going to start trying some of the things in that 10-20 break thread and see if I can improve

Ok bud, I'll post something on there to help you with your break-buidling as well. Village Hall tables are a bit of a challenge sometimes, can be slow with unreactive cushions. Hopefully it's not too many coins in the meter for an hour. lol
Last edited by Cue Guru on 07 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby eraserhead

Cue Guru wrote:Ok bud, I'll post something on there to help you with your break-buidling as well. Village Hall tables are a bit of a challenge sometimes, can be slow. Hopefully it's not too many coins in the meter for an hour. lol

That would be very much appreciated, someone I know works there and I can get some free sessions.

I just googled gold star cue and this plate looks the same, you can just make out the L on mines plate.

Postby snooky147

Cue Guru wrote:Gents, some nice bits of timber pictured on the forum now. Not sure about Pink's bad lovely lady though, pulling our legs I think. Looking fwd to seeing Snooky's, Andres's, Wildey's and the site owner's cues. :hatoff:

Due to some health issues, I have not played in around 7 years. My cue is safely in graeme's practice room. I'll see if I can grab a picture next time I visit.

Postby Cue Guru

eraserhead wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:Ok bud, I'll post something on there to help you with your break-buidling as well. Village Hall tables are a bit of a challenge sometimes, can be slow. Hopefully it's not too many coins in the meter for an hour. lol

That would be very much appreciated, someone I know works there and I can get some free sessions.

I just googled gold star cue and this plate looks the same, you can just make out the L on mines plate.

Very nice indeed. Something different there.

Postby Cue Guru

snooky147 wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:Gents, some nice bits of timber pictured on the forum now. Not sure about Pink's bad lovely lady though, pulling our legs I think. Looking fwd to seeing Snooky's, Andres's, Wildey's and the site owner's cues. :hatoff:

Due to some health issues, I have not played in around 7 years. My cue is safely in graeme's practice room. I'll see if I can grab a picture next time I visit.

Hope your health is good. Looking fwd to your pics and stats. :-D

Postby Dan-cat

I'm in desperate need of my own cue. Reading back up on this thread GBL seems like a good option, I don't really want to spend more than £200.

When I was twenty I had a John Parris cue that cost me about £300, I see now that they are £600+ which is a bit keen for me right now.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:I'm in desperate need of my own cue. Reading back up on this thread GBL seems like a good option, I don't really want to spend more than £200.

When I was twenty I had a John Parris cue that cost me about £300, I see now that they are £600+ which is a bit keen for me right now.

GBL cues are great! I highly recommend them! The customer service is top class and the prices are very reasonable! I love my GBL cue.

Postby Tonsgalore

Dan-cat wrote:I'm in desperate need of my own cue. Reading back up on this thread GBL seems like a good option, I don't really want to spend more than £200.

Dan,

You can get a nice cue for that budget. I would certainly recommend going to see Stu at GBL and trying a few cues on his snooker tables. He will let you play all day long to find the right cue. If not then try Dave Buswell at Mastercraft cues. I also have one of his and it is a great cue. http://www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk/

I will post some pictures of mine

Postby Cue Guru

£200 buys a lot more than it used to! Brands to consider: GBL, Phoenix, O'min, Mastercraft, Cue Craft, Mastercue, David Wu, etc, etc. All very good quality.

If you want a custom cue made to your own specs, these are incredible value and they're receiving rave reviews (as Tons knows).

http://www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk/index.php/2

Please take a look, they're on budget, the plain ebony being about £200. Go for a 1-piece as well, more feel in the shot. Apart from David Wu cues on ebay (some brilliant cues for less than a hundred quid), I consider these to be the best value for £200. They're made in the UK as well, bonus.

But David Wu (China) is making some excellent cues that are getting very positive feedback, like this beauty for £85:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emperor-1-pie ... SwXshWsJlL

They also do sets with cases and extensions. I'm sure they could add in the extensions and case if you contact them (they are friendly) for not a lot judging by the price of their sets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... e&_sacat=0

It depends how much you want to spend. A county playing friend recently ditched his custom Cue Craft (think north of £400) for a GBL only half the money and is so much happier. Spending anything north of £400 will only really help folk who regularly hit tons. That's not meant to be an insult to anyone, just the truth. A JPU can't pot the balls and frankly it's not as good as many a £300 cue. Nor would a custom TW, MW, CJ, etc etc. Like cars, the higher the price, the more marginal the increase in quality. I say this to every improving player; the best money you can spend is on coaching. You can get to see a good coach for as little as 15-20 an hour.

Cue at 200 quid + coaching > 1000 quid JPU every day of the week.

How tall are you?

Postby Cue Guru

Dan-cat wrote:Cue Guru and Tonsgalore, that is an awesome response - thank you!!

I'm 5 ft 11 and three-quarters :)

Ok, get a 58'' cue unless you're the kind of player who prefers shorter compact cueing in which case go for 57 or 57.5. Personally, I'd blow the full £200 on a Mastercraft but if you need a case and extensions, going with David Wu is a good option.

Stu at GBL also stocks Mastercue and they're great value and can be had for as little as £75. Have a look at the Mastercues on the site below because Stu doesn't stock bad cues and they're incredible value. It's worth a trip to see him as you get to try out all his hundreds of cues on a full size table but it's way ooop north.

http://www.greenbaize.com/category/cues/mastercue/

Postby Cue Guru

Vojta1 wrote:Hi,
this one is mine - Riley Shaun Murphy Natural Ash.

Pictures aren't coming through mate, try reposting. Cheers.

Postby Cue Guru

Dan-cat wrote:Shall I post a picture of the house cue I'm using? Hehe :)

Yeah, that'll give us a straight comparison between now and your future cue. :hatoff: